Reflection Vs Oasis Class

Grovero

Long time lurker first time poster.

We are a family of 5. Kids are 18, 14 and 11. Looking at booking Reflection over Thanksgiving. We have sailed both Allure and Oasis and had a great time. Debating doing something different by cruising Reflection. We will have another couple with teenage boys as well, also have done Allure.

I know Oasis class have a ton to do onboard, but not sure if we want to do a repeat cruise.

Thanks!

I haven't sailed Royal yet, but I have been on the Reflection twice. My understanding is that the consensus would be your teenage kids will have a much better time on Royal. Celebrity ships aren't built to entertain that age group -- other than the outdoor pool and the basketball court, there really isn't anything for them. Celebrity doesn't have all the bells and whistles to entertain that age group (rock climbing walls, etc...) so I think they might be a little bit bored. Just my opinion...

There will definitely be more kids over Thanksgiving so no need to worry. My children love sailing Celebrity but they've only sailed the Summit. They much prefer the Fun Factory over Adventure Ocean when we were on the Freedom. Celebrity will also have a lounge/hangout for teens. Celebrity also has the XBox gaming systems for all ages.

IMO, I think once your children meet others, they will have a great time on any ship. Celebrity will also be a more relaxing cruise in a more elegant environment compared to Royal.

Good luck.

I would guess that your 'kids' are old enough that they are not looking for other kids as much. Also look at the actual # of sea day. If they are tired from the port days and travel then the Reflection will be fine.. and if they are happy hanging out with parents then it will be perfect.

There is a lot of standing in lines on the Oasis class

My understanding is that the consensus would be your teenage kids will have a much better time on Royal....Celebrity doesn't have all the bells and whistles to entertain that age group (rock climbing walls, etc...) so I think they might be a little bit bored.

Thanks. First time on Allure they did a lot of that stuff, rock wall, flowrider etc. Last year on Oasis they spent most time by the pool. That's why I'm thinking they may enjoy Reflection.

People always talk about all the stuff for kids/teens to do on Oasis, but I always wonder....just how much time do kids spend climbing the rock wall? Do they climb it everyday or is it a one-and-done type thing? Same with the flowrider... you go up there and get in line and do it a few times over the course of an hour or so and then what?! In my experience (I have 3 boys) they spend most of their time with friends they've met, either hanging out at the pool, playing video games in the teen/kids' area, or playing basketball. And of course going from one food venue to another all day long, for pizza, ice cream, cookies and the like, LOL. Since yours have been on Oasis class and you yourself saw that the 2nd time around they mostly just hung by the pool, I'd say go for Reflection, especially since they will have friends traveling with them to hang with. The bells and whistles on Oasis/Allure likely wouldn't keep them occupied but a tiny, tiny portion of the time they're on the ship.

Follow your gut and do something new with them.

When we took our kids on their first cruise we did Royal Caribbean, thinking they'd love all the kid friendly stuff. Well, we mini golfed once, climbed the rock wall once...but my kids spent most of their time lounging by the pools, reading, exploring the ship, and eating! (I think I even said to my husband on day 3, 'we totally could have done Celebrity with them instead!')

The previous poster is correct in wondering just how much time those "kid friendly" attractions occupy...for us, it wasn't much.

We're now researching our next cruise with the kids and we'll probably do Celebrity!

My initial reaction was Oasis class for sure...but if they just enjoy hanging by the pool, they will be fine.

If Celebrity is more elegant than RCCL, it is by a small margin. All 4 lines we have sailed are about the same "elegance" factor, imo. I might give Celebrity a very very slight edge.

Funny, the only time the Allure felt crowded was during muster--have no memory of waiting in a line, ever!(and I HATE lines) LOVED LOVED LOVED check in at the port--walked right in at 10AM. It was the best one ever.

Edited by KKB