Traveling with 15 y/o sister

Hello CC! I have a question...

In June I will be going on the Freedom with my 15 y/o sister without our parents. I keep reading different requirements for traveling with a minor, and traveling without a minor's parents.

I do not want to list what I think I need as not to bias the answers... What do you think I need for traveling with a minor that is not my child?

Thank you!!

I have heard this. Is there a standard form for the letter, or just a basic letter and have it notarized?

What about booking shore excursions? Will the letter suffice to let me book those?

See the last paragraph with regard to the notarized letter:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

Hello CC! I have a question...

In June I will be going on the Freedom with my 15 y/o sister without our parents. I keep reading different requirements for traveling with a minor, and traveling without a minor's parents.

I do not want to list what I think I need as not to bias the answers... What do you think I need for traveling with a minor that is not my child?

Thank you!!

I would call RCCL directly and explain your situation to them. Would be awful to take advice from people and show up without the correct documentation.

If you will call RCI they will give you the wording you need. It is very specific. They also recommend you call them to review the letter you write to ensure it has everything they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Bob! I was going to get a passport for her, but I think the birth certificate + notarized letter might be the easiest way to go.

Thank you Bob! I was going to get a passport for her, but I think the birth certificate + notarized letter might be the easiest way to go.

We have travelled several times with our niece who was a minor at the time and basically, aside from her birth certificate, used the following format. It has never been question and covers most situations that might come up.

========================================

I or WE the parents of (CHILD'S NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH) authorize (YOUR NAME, RELATIONSHIP AND DATE OF BIRTH) to take (CHILD'S NAME, RELATIONSHIP AND DATE OF BIRTH) on the following cruise from (EXAMPLE: JANUARY 23, 2015 TO FEBRUARY 12, 2015) TO (EXAMPLE: FORT LAUDERDALE TO THE CARIBBEAN, INCLUDING STOPS IN PUERTO RICO, ST. THOMAS, ST. KITTS etc...) as well as to or from any other locations needed for her safe return..

I or WE authorize ( YOUR NAME ) to sign legal documentation/waivers for ( CHILD'S NAME ) TO PARTICIPATE in any activities WHERE REQUIRED (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, Ice Skating AS WELL AS ANY OFF SHIP EXCURSIONS).

I or WE authorize ( YOUR NAME ) to supervise the child and IF NECESSARY MAKE ANY NEEDED MEDICAL DECISIONS FOR ( CHILD'S NAME ) ON MY/OUR BEHALF IF WE CANNOT BE CONTACTED).

SIGNED AND NOTARIZED OF COURSE BY BOTH PARENTS IF POSSIBLE!

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I would call RCCL directly and explain your situation to them. Would be awful to take advice from people and show up without the correct documentation.

If you will call RCI they will give you the wording you need. It is very specific. They also recommend you call them to review the letter you write to ensure it has everything they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called C&A this morning and the rep was "pretty sure" I needed the letter. Just wanted triple confirmation! :D

We have travelled several times with our niece who was a minor at the time and basically, aside from her birth certificate, used the following format. It has never been question and covers most situations that might come up.

========================================

I or WE the parents of (CHILD'S NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH) authorize (YOUR NAME, RELATIONSHIP AND DATE OF BIRTH) to take (CHILD'S NAME, RELATIONSHIP AND DATE OF BIRTH) on the following cruise from (EXAMPLE: JANUARY 23, 2015 TO FEBRUARY 12, 2015) TO (EXAMPLE: FORT LAUDERDALE TO THE CARIBBEAN, INCLUDING STOPS IN PUERTO RICO, ST. THOMAS, ST. KITTS etc...) as well as to or from any other locations needed for her safe return..

I or WE authorize ( YOUR NAME ) to sign legal documentation/waivers for ( CHILD'S NAME ) TO PARTICIPATE in any activities WHERE REQUIRED (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, Ice Skating AS WELL AS ANY OFF SHIP EXCURSIONS).

I or WE authorize ( YOUR NAME ) to supervise the child and IF NECESSARY MAKE ANY NEEDED MEDICAL DECISIONS FOR ( CHILD'S NAME ) ON MY/OUR BEHALF IF WE CANNOT BE CONTACTED).

SIGNED AND NOTARIZED OF COURSE BY BOTH PARENTS IF POSSIBLE!

OMO

bosco

Here is post with a sample letter.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1220360&highlight=consent+letter

Also, I think people also get a similar letter authorizing you to make medical decisions (in case of emergencies).

Thank you! I was hoping someone would have a sample letter.

Thank you! I was hoping someone would have a sample letter.

I hope it helps you out.

Like I said we have used it several times on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and it has always met their requirements at the check in desk where it was always presented.

Remember the notarized document must be the original and not a copy. Ask for the notary to emboss the document with their seal as it seemed to be what the Mexican authorities once checked out on our return to the ship in Cozumel.

bosco

Funny thing I checked in with my nephew ...different last name ( his middle name is my last name ) handed them two passports no one said boo...now his parents were checking in next window over but we were all rather surprised no one blinked...

How old are you?

According to mini statistics, he is 31. That was the first thing I checked thinking he might not be old enough to take 15 year old on a cruise.

Yep! I am 31... will be 32 by June cruise. It's my wedding cruise and my little sister is joining some other family members and some friends. Most of the people coming with us are first time cruisers. Pretty excited to say the least! :D