Help please - My list of pros and cons of booking with NCL vs. TA

Imasima752

I'm going crazy here with the decision I need to make and was wondering what others have done/would do in this situation.

Yesterday, I placed a courtesy hold on an owner's suite for November 2016. Today, I see that a TA online is offering an additional $300 in OBC (cruise price is the same though TA charges a $25 service fee). I just wrote a list of pros and cons to help me decide what to do and came up with this:

TA Pros:

1. Extra $300 OBC

2. I believe I can use a TA's OBC towards the $168 DSC (is this correct?), which would leave us with $132.00 to spend on other items (spa) on top of NCL's $300

NCL Pros:

1. Currently holding the specific suite that I want

2. Ease of making any changes or requests directly with NCL

3. With the Freestyle Choice inclusions (UDP, UBP, and $300 OBC) and suite perks we're getting with NCL regardless of who we book with, we may not even need the extra TA OBC (though not having to pay for multiple spa services would be great :D)

NCL Cons:

1. Would miss out on OBC that might be able to use for the $168 DSC

TA Cons:

1. Won't get the specific suite I want

2. May be difficult to get any of our questions/requests/concerns to NCL through the TA if we end up with a bad one

3. Would have to pay a $25 service fee (I know this is not major issue, especially since the $300 OBC would cover it and then some, but I had to list it as there are other TAs that do not charge a fee and offer similar OBC at times)

4. Would have to make the final payment over a week before NCL's final payment deadline - what if an even better promo becomes available?

Am I missing anything in my lists?

I think I know which way I'm leaning, but I have until tonight to make my decision and DH won't help as he always leaves travel decisions up to me, so any help would be appreciated!

The OBC can not be used for the DSC.

I have always used online TA's.

Always have gotten a better deal.

Never had a problem.

To me the only thing you mentioned is not being able to get a specific suite form the TA, but this is the first I have ever heard of this.

If you have a specific suite/cabin that you really prefer, don't let that go. You'll probably regret it, perhaps a lot.

But there should not be any reason you can't keep that same suite/cabin.

Check with the TA to see if they can work with NCL to switch it before you make the actual reservation with deposit.

The other possibility is to book with NCL now and pay the deposit.

Then you have 60 days to transfer the reservation to a TA.

Bu your reason for doing this is to get the TA perks, so check FIRST (now - and get it in writing in an email, *not* just over the phone) that if you transfer a reservation with a deposit already paid, you'll get the same perks (the OBC) that you want.

We've never had any problem getting a specific suite/cabin through a TA, although obviously the TA had to check availability and then make sure we did indeed get what we wanted.

(We've also been able to change specific suite/cabin preferences through a TA, and this has been with NCL and other cruise lines.)

GeezerCouple

I have always booked directly with the cruise lines. I usually book very early, like a year and a half out.

I still check the on-line TAs and most of the time the cruise that I like is never listed.

When my cruise is listed, the benefits are generally very small or none at all.

I think if you book close to the cruise, the on-line TAs can give you some good bennies, but I like booking early and except for a couple of cruises out of 12 in four years, they go up not down.

The two that went down, I called and immediately got the lower price.

The OBC can not be used for the DSC.

I know you are correct about NCL obc. But we have used TA purchased obc for DSC previously.

OP - keep shopping!

There are plenty of online TAs with no service charges of any kind. Keep looking!

The TA we have recently used bases obc on their commission. The since commission varies based on fare, the more you spend the higher the obc from the TA. When a balcony is "worth" somewhere close to, or even more than $300, then an owners suite ought together you considerably more than $300.

Last time I used an online Tara but this time I bookd direct with NCL. Having experienced all of the pros and cons you mentioned I can say that from now on I will always book direct with NCL. The ease of making changes when there have been price drops has been well worth booking with NCL. I have called my PCC 3 times so far to get a price reduction or change the promotion for my reservation. I also know that if the price goes down after final payment I can get some additional OBC as well.

When I booked last time through an online TA they were reluctant to make changes after I booked and when I did change my reservation from an inside to a balcony cabin I lost all the extra perks the TA had thrown in.

For peace of mind I went ahead and booked it through NCL and I'm glad I did as when I went to make the deposit, I saw the Norwegian credit card offer and decided to use it. I earned 10,000 points for using the card, which is enough to redeem for $100 OBC, and I'll get a $100 credit on a future statement. Now I can use the card to make my final payment and pay for future cruises, building up more points and hopefully cruise for free one of these days :D.

For peace of mind I went ahead and booked it through NCL and I'm glad I did as when I went to make the deposit, I saw the Norwegian credit card offer and decided to use it. I earned 10,000 points for using the card, which is enough to redeem for $100 OBC, and I'll get a $100 credit on a future statement. Now I can use the card to make my final payment and pay for future cruises, building up more points and hopefully cruise for free one of these days :D.

Glad you're pleased with your decision!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get a proper TA and never look back. I don't mean the type that you spend educating about a ship or whom can only call the reservation line and do exactly what you are capable of doing for a fee, but rather the kind of TA that can call the VP of the cruise line if necessary, the GM of the hotel you'll be staying at, and has sailed on NCL a million times and knows the ship better than you ever will. That kind of TA has value, and funny thing is ten times out of ten they do not charge extra fees. They will provide you with amenities, OBC, but most importantly, the cruise line will treat you well knowing you booked through them. You can search through Conde Nast and various other travel publications to find such recommended agents.

I used to always book on my own, but now, it is refreshing knowing someone who is better than me at booking cruises (lets face it, most of us can go onto NCL's website) is doing it for me, but most importantly, I can get a trusted review of the ship for they have likely sailed it in the last few months, and a first hand review of anything I wish to use. That is worth it's price in gold.

I've not used a TA so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I've been pleased with the two PCC's I've used. And I bought stock so I can get a $100 OBC.....and the stock price has skyrocketed in the last six months😃😃😃😃😃

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've not used a TA so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I've been pleased with the two PCC's I've used. And I bought stock so I can get a $100 OBC.....and the stock price has skyrocketed in the last six months😃😃😃😃😃

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In addition to the obc that our TA gives, those promos, as is the case with any promos or perqs provided/advertised by the cruise line are also available. They aren't reserved only for people that book through the cruise line. We also get the price drops, or additional obc, when they are available by calling the TA.

Getting a good TA is a no brainer, you get the same promos offered by PCC along with TA extras. The TA is also your contact to the cruise line saving you time on the phone . Wish we could give you rememendations but not allowed .

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

Last time I used an online Tara but this time I bookd direct with NCL. Having experienced all of the pros and cons you mentioned I can say that from now on I will always book direct with NCL. The ease of making changes when there have been price drops has been well worth booking with NCL. I have called my PCC 3 times so far to get a price reduction or change the promotion for my reservation. I also know that if the price goes down after final payment I can get some additional OBC as well.

When I booked last time through an online TA they were reluctant to make changes after I booked and when I did change my reservation from an inside to a balcony cabin I lost all the extra perks the TA had thrown in.

That is just a poor TA experience. None of the negative things listed happen with good TAs - we have used our TA for several years now and always get about 10% off the cruise price (either as discount or OBC) and extra perks - this is something PCCs are not able to match.

Never have had any problems with cabin/promo changes or getting price drops through our TA either.

Granted that my TA has $100 cancellation fee, but while we have once cancelled a cruise, we booked another one at the same time (so in effect we changed one cruise to another) and didn't have to pay any extra fees.

Edited by Demonyte