HOW do you tip?

Hardrocknerd

You have no data with which to base your cynical fantasies on.

Auto tipping is fairly new in the cruise world. My first cruise was 25 years ago and they gave you a suggested breakdown for the staff that served you. Then you tipped in cash directly to those that provided you services and in my case, on occasions that merited, above the suggested amount.

The cruise line offers guests an option. By default they can automatically charge you their predetermined amount, or you can elect to handle things yourself. Both are within the rules so what is the sense of looking down upon someone who wants to do it the time honored traditional manner.

And before someone starts telling me about the laundry crew or deck crew that get a cut of the auto tips; why should they get a tip? They are not guest facing service personnel, they are behind the scenes staff essential to hotel maintenance and operations and they should be paid a fair salary by their employer for such work. Why is their salary reliant on the subjective service and subsequent discretionary gratuity a room attendant or waiter received from a guest they served?

I am NOT against tipping the crew but the auto system is far from ideal. The piety of people here because they "leave their auto tip intact" or aren't even really paying because they have OBC is completely out of line where I might be removing my auto tips and tipping out $20 pp, per day, split between room attendant and wait staff with cash. And we don't even stay in suites so that can be quite a jump!

It's a shame they have to pool tips. It dissuades the hardest workers and does little to encourage the worst and breed mediocrity in service. I have often tipped in segments during a cruise. That way the people that served me get their fair share IN HAND IMMEDIATELY in case they are sick or absent later I the cruise, and I also hope they can use the money ashore without having to tally it with the purser or some other company store nonsense.

Gratuities are given in a discretionary manner, they are not demanded at a set rate. As long as the staff do their jobs pleasantly and efficiently they are remuneration by me greatly above suggestions, in cash, and by me doing my level best to keep any middle men out of it. And I'm not breaking any rule at all, just choosing from the options the line offers[emoji568]

Over the years I have had a number of staff members tell me they almost never got the full amount from those who cancelled the autotip.

Thanks for proving that the cynic in me is spot on again.

I'm looking forward to the day when auto tips become non-negotiable and people will no longer be able to use whatever fantasy justification they can conjure up to stiff the staff. It will be very difficult for the control freaks to deal with.

Maybe you should re-read what I've said. I use a method and option offered by the cruiseline to pay workers MORE than suggested. Furthermore, if you are so concerned about new cruisers just tell them what the policies are. You come off as very judgmental and that you only accept people doing things "your way". There is MORE than one way.

If they want to call them service charges or hotel fees, that's fine by me, I'll still tip people directly with cash. But if they are going to demand a tip and make it non-optional and not based on service I'll find a different line or vacation. A tip is a thank you from a guest to a service position for services received. A tip can not be demanded.

Over the years I have had a number of staff members tell me they almost never got the full amount from those who cancelled the autotip.

That's a very scientific survey. If we ever find ourselves on a cruise together you should ask my room attendant and wait staff if they got less than the full amount from me...:rolleyes:

Maybe you should re-read what I've said. I use a method and option offered by the cruiseline to pay workers MORE than suggested. Furthermore, if you are so concerned about new cruisers just tell them what the policies are. You come off as very judgmental and that you only accept people doing things "your way". There is MORE than one way.

If they want to call them service charges or hotel fees, that's fine by me, I'll still tip people directly with cash. But if they are going to demand a tip and make it non-optional and not based on service I'll find a different line or vacation. A tip is a thank you from a guest to a service position for services received. A tip can not be demanded.

Perhaps you should spend some of that tip money you bless your select crew members with on reading comprehension classes. It is not "my way" - it is the way the cruise lines want people to follow. It is automatically applied for everyone. It is not called "auto tips" because it's a catchy name.

I didn't set up the policies. But, as a reasonable and honorable person, I gladly follow them as I see nothing beneficial to making my life more complicated, and potentially stiffing the staff, by the obsessive need to take control over this rather simple matter.

As for accusing me of being 'judgmental", look in a mirror to see what someone who is judgmental looks like.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Perhaps you should spend some of that tip money you bless your select crew members with on reading comprehension classes. It is not "my way" - it is the way the cruise lines want people to follow. It is automatically applied for everyone. It is not called "auto tips" because it's a catchy name.

I didn't set up the policies. But, as a reasonable and honorable person, I gladly follow them as I see nothing beneficial to making my life more complicated, and potentially stiffing the staff, by the obsessive need to take control over this rather simple matter.

As for accusing me of being 'judgmental", look in a mirror to see what someone who is judgmental looks like.

Have a nice day

Haha, I suppose that IS what's worrying me. To me it's kind of akward to go "I like how you treated us, here's some money" (ok, maybe not exactly like that, but you get what I mean :rolleyes:). I just feels weird because I'm not used to it. So where do you get these envelopes? Do you ask guest services for them, or do you bring your own. Also do you give them before or after the meal?

I want to thank everyone for answering to my stupid questions. Like I said, we pre-paid the gratuities since we will be doing My-time dining, just like our last cruise, but then we were still seated with the same server every day. That time we just added our tips to the bill on the last night, and of course we said thank you.

Yes, you can get the envelopes at the guest services desk. We usually give out the envelopes at the end of the meal, but any time is fine. Do what is comfortable for you. :)

You certainly have a way with words.:rolleyes:

Why do I get the feeling that it's those who shout the loudest about others not tipping, are probably the people leaving the least amounts? This feeling increases when I read what the braggers say they tip. I especially dislike people who brag and show-off - it doesn't really impress anyone.:rolleyes:

Edited by chrispb
error

So, by your logic, a person that tips in a traditional way is neither reasonable or honorable?

Regarding HOW we tip...(without the extra baggage)

When I tip above the auto-tip (which I always do), I don't just put it in an envelope, but I bring "thank you" cards along on the trip and write a short message to go with the cash. Heck-- the room steward paid attention to our habits and never bothered us when we were in the room - invisible room elves; the serving staff in the bar we used at happy hour ALWAYS brought us appetizers and remembered our choice of drinks; the server and helper in the MDR learned our habits early - and made recommendations based on that. So, given that personal touch, I give it back. And YES, I also name names on the comment cards.

Our last cruise was 2013, so - yes - we'd seen SOME of the cutbacks everyone is moaning about. It's amazing, however, how much you can ease your path by being kind, patient, and considerate. Give it, and you get it back.

Barb in so cal ("feathers")

I just wish once and for all we could get incontrovertible proof that

1) Employees DO get to keep tips that are given to them when auto tips are removed

Or

2) They must turn them into the pool

I doubt you'll get actual proof. It might depend on the cruise line. I do know that on HAL the cabin stewards must turn in tips received if the giver's name is listed on the 'removed tips' list. The tips are then pooled so that others in the pool also share.

My understanding is this is also true on NCL. I don't know about RCI.

Not to dispute you, but how do you know? Did you see it in writing somewhere?

I don't know why it is such a big secret. Why don't all the different cruise lines just tell us what their policy actually is.

FYI, we always leave the auto in place and tip extra when warranted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app