Charge for Lobster Formal night Freedom

The Canuks

Hello

I am hoping someone can clear this up for me prior to my cruise on the Freedom (Jan 25 2015). I have read 2 member reviews that stated they were charged for Lobster in the MDR.

Please someone let me know for sure if Carnival has resorted to charging for the Lobster tails on formal night in the MDR?

Thanks

The Canuks

They do have on the MDR Menu where you can get Lobster every night that is from the Steak House. I think the charge was $20.00. However, on the Cruise Elegant night you can get the regular Lobster menu item for free.

We were just on the Freedom for the New Years Cruise.

Edited by marjenn

I was curious - on our last cruise, the lobster we had in the Steakhouse was amazing - where as the MDR ones were smaller and "tougher"

In the steakhouse they even let us add it to an entree for no extra charge - maybe as it was a slow night and it was my birthday- but they let us create our own surf and turf- bought out 6 pieces for the two of us to share (three tails split lengthwise) with a creamy drawn butter. AMAZING.

I'm wondering if the freebie ones will be as good as the $20 steakhouse version .

Granted it is harder to cook these properly for the masses without over cooking them (thats when they can get tough / stringy)

Thanks

Edited by seabum

the lobster tails / shrimp is still free of charge on cruise elegant night in the MDR.

the steakhouse selection is a 1-1/2 pound full steamed lobster for $20 - along with 3 other options which rotate slightly during the cruise. the 1-1/2 pound full lobster does not appear to be offered on the same night the lobster tails are served on the cruise elegant night.

I was curious - on our last cruise, the lobster we had in the Steakhouse was amazing - where as the MDR ones were smaller and "tougher"

I think the lobster in the steakhouse is broiled and the ones in MDR on elegant night are boiled.

Edited by Fla Senior

Everything I can gather is you get the free lobster tail on elegant night. That one is a rock lobster tail.

The ones for $20 (steakhouse lobsster) is a 1 1/2 LB. Maine lobster. big difference, but at least on elegant night, I wouldn't buy the whole lobster over the tail.

I think the lobster in the steakhouse is broiled and the ones in MDR on elegant night are boiled.

The galley has a conveyer belt type broiler that the chef runs the tails thru for the masses.

Hello

I am hoping someone can clear this up for me prior to my cruise on the Freedom (Jan 25 2015). I have read 2 member reviews that stated they were charged for Lobster in the MDR.

Please someone let me know for sure if Carnival has resorted to charging for the Lobster tails on formal night in the MDR?

Thanks

The Canuks

The "for a fee" lobster in the main dining rooms is from Carnival's Steakhouse Selections menu. The smaller, free lobster on cruise elegant night is still free.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/steakhouse-selections

whats the most frustrating to me is the best part are the claws - which you obviously dont get with the rock / spiny / Caribbean lobsters.

As I mentioned in my previous post - the last time in the steakhouse - they let us add lobster tails to create our own surf and turf - it was not a whole Maine lobster.

Just some of the best tails I've ever had - and I grew up along the NH / Maine coast.

That is why I was curious if the steakhouse tails were the same as the MDR - could just be the steakhouse was cooked to order - or the special creamy drawn butter (versus butter alone) - who knows.

Thanks everyone - smooth sailing -

Oceania - lobster tails always available no extra charge. Lobster and steak sandwich for lunch at the Waves pool grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, I'm always amazed at how much you can get for free when your cruise fare is $8,000 + PP.:rolleyes:

I am a New England girl, so I know my lobster and the last few times that I have had lobster on a Carnival ship in the MDR, they have been cold water (or Maine) lobsters and they have been delicious! I think I even remember the wording in the menu said cold water (or possibly Maine) lobsters.

I have NOT cruised since the new American Table menus have been put in place.

We were in Maine in September and had fresh lobster there! It tasted nothing like any of the lobsters I have had on cruises or in restaurants on the west coast!

It was amazing but it means I will probably never eat lobster on a cruise again as it just doesn't compare at all!

Yeah, I'm always amazed at how much you can get for free when your cruise fare is $8,000 + PP.:rolleyes:

Actually, on the right itinerary and with a top-producing O TA, you will find their prices to be very reasonable.

For last summer's Alaska cruise, the bottom line daily pricing after air credit, discounts, OBC, value of "free" beverages and specialty restaurants, the price for a balcony was about the same as HAL or Celebrity. And, of course, there is also what is not included: incessant announcements, hordes of people, art shows, mediocre food, nickel/diming, etc.

You may want to talk with a TA.

Hello

Thanks

The Canuks

Not on elegant night. It's an optional for charge item on all the other nights, and are allegedly a steakhouse quality lobster tail. I also read somewhere whole lobster may also be getting offered on some ships as well.

Actually, on the right itinerary and with a top-producing O TA, you will find their prices to be very reasonable.

For last summer's Alaska cruise, the bottom line daily pricing after air credit, discounts, OBC, value of "free" beverages and specialty restaurants, the price for a balcony was about the same as HAL or Celebrity. And, of course, there is also what is not included: incessant announcements, hordes of people, art shows, mediocre food, nickel/diming, etc.

You may want to talk with a TA.

For summer 2015, the cheapest balcony for a 7 day cruise is 3,000 + tax. Even with free grats and 350 in OBC, you're still paying for your lobster, no matter how you cut it.

If you can afford Oceania, good for you, but there is no reason to tell us to talk to a TA about your cruise line of choice since 99.99% of the readers and contributors on the Carnival boards have absolutely no interest in Oceania.