Lots of bad reviews on CC for Regal

abisha

We spent 3 weeks on the Regal in May, loved the ship, the staff was great. Since this was also the maiden voyage, there were a few glitches nothing truly note worthy. We have again booked for 3 weeks in April of this year. We heard complainers but some people must have something to complain about. Never had a bad cruise on Princess some have been better than others. Our cruise on the Regal is in the top 2.

There were some things I liked on the Royal but there were a number of things (no wrap around promenade, overpriced OS suites, aft balcony soot issues, placement of wheelhouse bar, inability to enjoy a quiet meal at either specialty dining venue, small elevators that had a mind of their own, having many areas of the HC closed at once, lack of dvd system in a suite, hard to navigate seating in the Vista Lounge, no Explorer's lounge, cramped seating in the theater, etc) I did not. I think it is unfair to characterize everyone, who had something negative to say about the Regal/Royal, as a complainer.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I am putting my 2cents in here and going to say that there are those people who do nothing but look for something to gripe about. Who spend all that money to pick apart everything.

While there may be people who do nothing but look for something to gripe about, there are also people who just happen to find things to gripe about. It is not fair to assume that only the former exist.

Of course there are things that can't be overlooked, however set short from the boat sinking I don't see why anyone would let minute things "spoil" a vacation. The people of this world have turned into the #entitledgeneration.

Really? Then you would have been OK with the now-infamous Carnival Cruise that was dead in the water without food, water or flushing toilets? That ship didn't sink. Of course you wouldn't. So look at it this way. Cruises range from "Best Cruise I Ever Took" all the way to "Carnival Dead In The Water Cruise". Every cruise should fall somewhere in between. You can't possibly think that people should have nothing to complain about in a review unless their cruise aligns with the latter. At all points between perfection and disaster there are going to be things worth pointing out in a review that you did not like, or that others should be mindful of before plopping down their hard-earned money. That is the very essence of a review. Pardon the pun, but the "you're on a cruise...what do you have to complain about" ideal simply does not hold water, especially when one is penning a review. Were it otherwise, every restaurant that didn't kill you should be rated 30-30-30 in Zagat.

While there may be people who do nothing but look for something to gripe about, there are also people who just happen to find things to gripe about. It is not fair to assume that only the former exist.

Really? Then you would have been OK with the now-infamous Carnival Cruise that was dead in the water without food, water or flushing toilets? That ship didn't sink. Of course you wouldn't. So look at it this way. Cruises range from "Best Cruise I Ever Took" all the way to "Carnival Dead In The Water Cruise". Every cruise should fall somewhere in between. You can't possibly think that people should have nothing to complain about in a review unless their cruise aligns with the latter. At all points between perfection and disaster there are going to be things worth pointing out in a review that you did not like, or that others should be mindful of before plopping down their hard-earned money. That is the very essence of a review. Pardon the pun, but the "you're on a cruise...what do you have to complain about" ideal simply does not hold water, especially when one is penning a review. Were it otherwise, every restaurant that didn't kill you should be rated 30-30-30 in Zagat.

Well said sir.....:):):)

Bob

Who spend all that money to pick apart everything.

The people of this world have turned into the #entitledgeneration.

It's my hard earned money and we'll spend it on what we like.

They didn't include things that are important to us on the Royal/Regal so we are not on them because we don't like them and will spend OUR money on what we do like.

Now if you want to pay for us to sail on the Regal then we can change back to or original plan (before the final designs were available) and sail the Regal and be entitled.

Otherwise we be on the Caribbean and be un-entitled :p .

I remember it being mentioned back when Regal Princess was initially set to debut, that since Royal Princess had already been out for about a year, and that all of the "design faults" were well known by then, that future cruisers on this class of ship should be and would be well aware of them, and if they were still booked, and they still decided to go anyways, that they really didn't have room to complain once they returned.

While I tend to agree with that, I don't disagree with those who have not sailed this class of ship, know what's important to them in what makes a cruise most pleasurable, and therefore decide not to book a cruise on either Royal Princess or Regal Princess.

I have stated, that for me, these two new ships are about as close to perfection in what I need to be happy on a cruise.

But, for those who have been around this forum for the past couple of years, you will also know that there are certain people who do not like these new ships because there are aspects in this new design - features that are very important to them - that are not present: a space for actual, formal ballroom dancing; aft facing, spacious public lounges with magnificent views of the wake; and what has been termed a "proper promenade", in which they can take a long evening stroll protected from the elements. I can live without those features just as easily as I can live without creme brûlée (which I really hate, by the way). But I'm not going to pass judgment on those who simply can't and won't cruise without those features that are a prerequisite to cruising their way.

And each persons actual shipboard experience, and how they deal with and view it, is going to be different; whether you are 6' 4" or 5' 3"; 285 pounds or 160 pounds; 'high society' or 'common folk'; eat regularly at McDonalds or Morton's; drive a Bentley or an 'old beater'; cruise several times a year or only once in a lifetime; live in a studio apartment or a seven-figure stately manor; are use to Crystal Cruises and Cunard or NCL and CCL; or something in between all of that. Those factors are important with how those who have sailed Royal Princess and Regal Princess anticipated, built their expectations, and actually experienced these ships based on their own daily lives and what they are accustomed to. They either fit, or don't fit. But it seems that there are still a good number of people who knew/know of those "design faults" going in, and still went, or are still cruising them in the future, despite that fact.

For the past two years I have been providing factual information on the Royal-class ships to the best of my ability without trying to be an obvious cheerleader. And I would hope that this was the way that it came across, or at least successful to some degree in that matter. But I am also not a fan of the Grand-class - they are the 'creme brûlée' of my cruising experience; heck, I'd rather cruise Carnival Cruise Line again than set one foot back on Ruby Princess or the like (please, no hate mail). However I don't populate every thread about that class of ship with my opinion and attitudes based on my experience.

If you had a horrible time on these new ships - I'm sorry. If you had a great time - ME TOO! If you're on the fence and 50/50 with your experience - well, no ship is exactly perfect for everyone, and maybe you'll have better luck next time on whatever ship you pick.

But, I am wondering just how much longer it's going to be before the 'two sides' of this debate realize that there is no 'right or wrong side', but let those who have decided that the Royal-class ships are not for them do so without waging a war of words, and then having it deteriorate into a contest on whomever can post the most with their pom-poms, pitchforks, or facetious nasty comments and opinions.

:cool:

I remember it being mentioned back when Regal Princess was initially set to debut, that since Royal Princess had already been out for about a year, and that all of the "design faults" were well known by then, that future cruisers on this class of ship should be and would be well aware of them, and if they were still booked, and they still decided to go anyways, that they really didn't have room to complain once they returned.

While I tend to agree with that, I don't disagree with those who have not sailed this class of ship, know what's important to them in what makes a cruise most pleasurable, and therefore decide not to book a cruise on either Royal Princess or Regal Princess.

I have stated, that for me, these two new ships are about as close to perfection in what I need to be happy on a cruise.

But, for those who have been around this forum for the past couple of years, you will also know that there are certain people who do not like these new ships because there are aspects in this new design - features that are very important to them - that are not present: a space for actual, formal ballroom dancing; aft facing, spacious public lounges with magnificent views of the wake; and what has been termed a "proper promenade", in which they can take a long evening stroll protected from the elements. I can live without those features just as easily as I can live without creme brûlée (which I really hate, by the way). But I'm not going to pass judgment on those who simply can't and won't cruise without those features that are a prerequisite to cruising their way.

And each persons actual shipboard experience, and how they deal with and view it, is going to be different; whether you are 6' 4" or 5' 3"; 285 pounds or 160 pounds; 'high society' or 'common folk'; eat regularly at McDonalds or Morton's; drive a Bentley or an 'old beater'; cruise several times a year or only once in a lifetime; live in a studio apartment or a seven-figure stately manor; are use to Crystal Cruises and Cunard or NCL and CCL; or something in between all of that. Those factors are important with how those who have sailed Royal Princess and Regal Princess anticipated, built their expectations, and actually experienced these ships based on their own daily lives and what they are accustomed to. They either fit, or don't fit. But it seems that there are still a good number of people who knew/know of those "design faults" going in, and still went, or are still cruising them in the future, despite that fact.

For the past two years I have been providing factual information on the Royal-class ships to the best of my ability without trying to be an obvious cheerleader. And I would hope that this was the way that it came across, or at least successful to some degree in that matter. But I am also not a fan of the Grand-class - they are the 'creme brûlée' of my cruising experience; heck, I'd rather cruise Carnival Cruise Line again than set one foot back on Ruby Princess or the like (please, no hate mail). However I don't populate every thread about that class of ship with my opinion and attitudes based on my experience.

If you had a horrible time on these new ships - I'm sorry. If you had a great time - ME TOO! If you're on the fence and 50/50 with your experience - well, no ship is exactly perfect for everyone, and maybe you'll have better luck next time on whatever ship you pick.

But, I am wondering just how much longer it's going to be before the 'two sides' of this debate realize that there is no 'right or wrong side', but let those who have decided that the Royal-class ships are not for them do so without waging a war of words, and then having it deteriorate into a contest on whomever can post the most with their pom-poms, pitchforks, or facetious nasty comments and opinions.

:cool:

Dave, nicely said. I really appreciated the information on the Royal and Regal you provided. We have been on the Royal twice and will be on the Regal in April. I love the new builds but also appreciate the other ships in the Princess lineup. We are on the Grand for a Hawaii cruise in March.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

I hadn't realized the Regal/Royal had pools suitable for lap swimming and WILL go get goggles before our March cruise. With that enhanced buffet, I'll need the exercise. :D Excited about exploring this new ship which is so different from the Coral (our favorite, for now)! Thanks for your reviews - they're very helpful.

I was on the Royal in April. To me- these are the negatives- (I will also write the positives-)

Negatives-

The elevators ARE too small for a cruise ship this size. Just allow 10 extra minutes then what you normaly don't think about on other Princess ships.

If you are someone that likes to do the steam room after working out in the gym, and it is an issue to you (not to me, but annoying to my dh) then the Royal and Regal is not for you. This is because the steam room is not even on the same deck as gym, and is part of the "package" that only 40 people on the ship can purcase for the spa.

The Sanctuary--We were two of the "lucky" persons that were able to pay the ridiculous price to have a quiet adult area on board. Very little shade- people did sneak in for free-- a complete waste of money for us. (Celebrity has this kind of area included with every cruise fare)

The positives:

Food: We found the food very good to excellent. (We were very surprised because food was unedible on the Saphire 5 years ago on the sailing we were on. I am happy eating mall food, fast food, high brow- whatever- friends of mine were on the Diamond 2 years ago and complained as well.) I was just hoping on this cruise to be fed and didn't expect much. I gained 5 pounds on this one week cruise. So thumbs up to food on the Royal, and I understand that the food is also quite good on the Regal.

Entertainment was very good-- loved the Beatlemaniacs show. The in cabin TV and movie programing was excellent.

Cabin--we had an ordinary mid ship balcony. For the two of us, no complaints. Yes the balcony is small, as all the newer ships seem to be for a basic cabin. If this is important, than yes, I would book on one of the older ships.

no central staircase---We just walked to the forward or aft. I just don't get what the big deal is regarding that. Could care less.

Wrap around Promenade deck: Can take it or leave it, one way or the other.

In a couple of years, we will want to do the New England/Canada cruise. We just want to go for 1 week. Celebrity and most of the other lines are 2 weeks. Princess and Crystal have the 1 week NY round trip that we are interested in. NCL will not have a roundtrip NYC similar cruise in 2016. Princess uses either the Royal or Regal. Crystal is a bit too high brow for our tastes. My husband will just skip the steam room, we won't need the sanctuary as there will most likely be few kids on board (October) and we will know what to expect. So we will enjoy the nice shows, great food, and beautiful ship, and that is that.

Edited by Jetswdo

Now you are comparing a rude or indifferent bartender to a ship that was dead in the water. How absurd!

Now you are comparing a rude or indifferent bartender to a ship that was dead in the water. How absurd!

You made that connection. Not me. I have no idea where or how you dredged that up. As hard as I try, I cannot find any reference to a bartender in my post or the portions of the post I quoted. Perhaps you need to go back and read it again, this time from the perspective of a broader view which is where the quoted post came from and where mine was directed. Consider the danger and difficulty in dealing in absolutes and read the quoted post again, and then mine. I think you will find that this has nothing whatsoever to do with mixologists.

Edited by JimmyVWine

If you want positive, talk to me! The Regal is a true beauty. I found the crew members to not only be helpful but quite entertaining. Everything from singing and dancing in the halls, to joking with you and remembering your names. The entertainment was really, really good as was the food. I especially appreciated how far the crew went to insure everyone used hand sanitizer before meals. Believe me, I'm not a cheerleader for any line, but if I was going to be, it would be for this ship.

I am booked on Regal in April. Under the reviews page there is one bad review after another and another. Each one all commenting same thing...bad customer service, bad dining room service, crew seems unhappy and just going through the motions and so on.

I usually pay no attention to the ridiculousness of the outlandish complaints but when everyone is commenting on the same things you cannot help but wonder. I know it's a new ship and they need to work out the kinks.

I had such a positive experience on the Ruby in November and also saw the Regal at Port getting ready to be christened that I decided to give her a try.

Would love to hear some positives about her.

When I look on the Review page, I see one good review after another.

I also see many good reviews on this forum. :D Enjoy your cruise. :)

I also have been looking at the recent reviews. I don't give them much credit if I can tell they haven't researched the Princess line or the Regal before sailing on her. If no central stairs, no real promenade deck, and smaller balconies are deal breakers, then is on you for making a bad choice.

When your unhappy and looking for faults I am sure you will find them.

The same complaints were made about the Royal!!! I have been on her twice and loved it!!

You made that connection. Not me. I have no idea where or how you dredged that up. As hard as I try, I cannot find any reference to a bartender in my post or the portions of the post I quoted. Perhaps you need to go back and read it again, this time from the perspective of a broader view which is where the quoted post came from and where mine was directed. Consider the danger and difficulty in dealing in absolutes and read the quoted post again, and then mine. I think you will find that this has nothing whatsoever to do with mixologists.

At the risk of getting into a foolish p______ contest here, it appeared to me that you were equating those that seriously, and often loudly, complain about trivial things like rude or unresponsive bartenders and other service personnel to the ultimate bad cruise, the ship sinking, as a counterpoint.

At the risk of getting into a foolish p______ contest here, it appeared to me that you were equating those that seriously, and often loudly, complain about trivial things like rude or unresponsive bartenders and other service personnel to the ultimate bad cruise, the ship sinking, as a counterpoint.

Rest assured that I was not. 'Nuff said.