Internet Packages

sail7seas

HAL was experimenting with various packages and I've lost track what the rates now are.

I read of Zuiderdam trying a 7 day package for $149 but then never read about it again.

Is Westerdam still doing these packages:

100 minutes $50 plus $3.95 start up

250 minutes $100 plus $3.95 start up

1,000 minutes ? How much?

Does Westerdam have a 7 day package for their short cruises?

Thanks.

Thanks for asking the question. I sailed on NCL the first week of Dec. I got 250 min. for $100 plus 20 extra min. for signing up the first day. Also, I got 30 extra min. as a perk. Total 300 min. for $100

On HAL I've had similar perks for 7 day cruises. I hope they still offer them for your sake.

According to the website, the fleet-wide prices are as follows:

Explorations Café or Internet Café pricing below is subject to change without prior notice. Please inquire on board for current prices.

One-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

Basic time charge $0.75 per minute, pay as you go, or purchase a Discounted Time Plan

250 minutes for $100.00, $0.40 per minute

100 minutes for $55.00, $0.55 per minute

That's not to say there might not be a special particular to one ship or one cruise.

The prices are the same whether you use their computer terminals or your own device in a "hot spot".

According to the website, the fleet-wide prices are as follows:

That's not to say there might not be a special particular to one ship or one cruise.

The prices are the same whether you use their computer terminals or your own device in a "hot spot".

This is why I asked the question..... the site does not seem to indicate other packages that we have read here HAL has offered in the recent past.

We read of $149 for the week on seven day cruise.

I also know I've purchased the 1,000 minute package but it isn't mentioned.

Thank you for bringing forth what the HAL site shows but as you say, it isn't fully accurate.

The 1,000 minute package for $250 - with 100 bonus minutes if you buy on the first or second day - was in place in December on the Nieuw Amsterdam. They trialed the $149 all you can eat plan the week after we got off.

Thanks everyone about the 1,000 minute plan. Also, about them still testing the 'all you can eat' plan. That's a great deal, by comparison. I wonder if Westerdam has had a test run on it yet? As I recall Zuiderdam did and now POA tells us about Nieuw Amsterdam.

We just got of the NA and they were offering $149.00 unlimited usage for 7 days. Since Key West was on the itinerary where we could easily connect we opted to spend $$ on the Thermal Suite.

I was on the NA last week too and I'm almost certain that unlimited minutes was $250 for the entire cruise and that the other plans varied from $0.75 for the plan with the least number of minutes (or maybe a la carte minutes) and the plan with the highest number of minutes was in the 450 to 600 minutes range and cost around $0.25 to $0.33 per minute. We found these plans on a sheet given to us by crew in the explorations café at the beginning of the cruise. My wife was trying to talk me into ponying up for the unlimited plan b/c she was having facebook withdrawal symptoms and wanted to do some work stuff that could wait until we got back, but I calculated that we would have to use like 10 or 12 hours of internet at the best per minute rate to "break even" on the unlimited plan and so we just did without internet on the ship and didn't miss it.

I wish HAL had a pricing plan similar to our previous Disney cruise. You pay by the MB, so you don't need to go to your browser program and type "logout" to stop using minutes like HAL makes you do. Also, HAL makes you pay by the minute regardless of the internet speed or lack thereof.

Disney pricing (for comparison):

Pay as you go: $0.25 per MB

100 MB

$19.00

($0.19 per MB)

300 MB

$39.00

($0.13 per MB)

1,000 MB

$89.00

($0.09 per MB)

I purchased the 250 mins for $100 last week for a cruise we are taking on Feb 7th. It never occurred to me that there could be a promo for extra minutes if your purchased the package on the ship.

Does anyone know if they will offer these extra minutes to anyone who has purchased in advanced, if you ask for them, when on board (provided of course the extra minutes of offered)?

I was on the Zuiderdam in September and paid about $299 unlimited use for a 21-day cruise.(Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale). Mostly needed for business coverage. Reception and speed wasn't too bad.

We are on the Noordam April 20/15 repo from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver. Did you purchase it before you left or onboard?

• 2 weeks later...

On the Eurodam last Aug/Sep and on the N.A. last month there was no $3.95 start up fee. I didn't notice what block plans were available other than the 100 minutes for $55. Also, there were no first-day sign up bonus minutes given.

How was the internet, was it reliable and not too slow?
This depends greatly on where you are, with the far north and south latitudes being the worst. In the Caribbean it shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by jtl513