What do I need to consider

Capt_BJ

Experienced cruiser here ... well around the Carib' anyway ....

Considering a crossing on QM2 from Hamburg to NY this summer .... what suggestions/warnings/recommendations can anyone offer . . . .

Found out the cruise would cost less than (upgraded) plane tickets . . .

Considering a crossing on QM2 from Hamburg to NY this summer .... what suggestions/warnings/recommendations can anyone offer . . . .

There will be quite a lot of formal nights and obviously a lot of sea days.

Cunard's idea of day time entertainment is a lectures, quizzes and maybe a cooking demonstration or something of that sort. If that does not appeal to you it could be a long trip.

Is the cruise from Hamburg to Southampton being sold as a short cruise? If so, no doubt you know what to expect on that segment. Warnings? I'm sure you know more about crossing the Atlantic during hurricane season than me...so my suggestion is that you follow your well informed instincts :)

Of course, I'd welcome having a USCG Captain aboard as a fellow passenger!

Cheers,

Salacia

we booked it

the 'warning' about the short cruise was spot on I think ... had not considered that they would sell the 2 days separate but lo, that leg has more sold out cabin categories than the NY leg. We could not book the full trip as one cruise. We could book the full trip as two cruises tho, a 2 day then the 7 day but we will change cabins in SH .... oh well ... both are balc so no biggie.

We're doing a Viking, then have a few days to get to Hamburg . . .

Be prepared for some craziness. You will have people doing the crossings and some just doing the 2 days. We did this trip last year. It ended up being ok just not our favorite. We will think twice before doing that type of trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app ~ Kerry

Here is my review to give you an idea of what a number of days crossing the Atlantic was like on QM2, I loved it, 15 days back to back in August :)

http://pictureherethereandeverywhere.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=2

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we booked it

the 'warning' about the short cruise was spot on I think ... had not considered that they would sell the 2 days separate but lo, that leg has more sold out cabin categories than the NY leg. We could not book the full trip as one cruise. We could book the full trip as two cruises tho, a 2 day then the 7 day but we will change cabins in SH .... oh well ... both are balc so no biggie.

Hi Capt_BJ. Happy to read that your quandary has been resolved. Sounds like you have a very interesting itinerary planned.

BTW, from my experience, the cabin steward was very helpful when we changed cabins. We packed up everything not hanging in the closed, and the stewards brought a convenience rack to transport our hanging garments and suitcases which they then brought to our new stateroom. (The stewards moved our hanging garments from the closets. We packed and unpacked our suitcases(which I prefer), but suitcases were also seamlessly transported to our new cabin.

Just to mention that we gave our cabin steward a gratuity and our thanks for his service before we moved to another stateroom - we really weren't expecting his added service in moving our things. But he coordinated with our next steward, and the move went very smoothly. I hope your change of stateroom goes as well - Although I imagine the change-over on a two day cruise must be rather hectic and things might not work as well due to the shortened turn-around.

BTW, I'm not sure how two day voyages affect Cunard World Club status, but

perhaps an advantage from having to book your voyage as two cruises rather than one will be increase your CWC status?

Have a grand time. -S.

Hi Capt_BJ.<SNIP>

BTW, I'm not sure how two day voyages affect Cunard World Club status, but

perhaps an advantage from having to book your voyage as two cruises rather than one will be increase your CWC status?

Have a grand time. -S.

When I did it (2010) my 2-day voyage absolutely did count as a voyage. You really don't get anything for your second voyage but perks start to get meaningful with your 3rd, so you're in good shape if you ever go back to Cunard.

Roy

we booked it

Since you will already have been on the road, so to speak, you might be happy to know that Cunard/QM2 have free launderette, detergent provided also. I bet you will have a suitcase or two of dirty laundry...The two day cruise will be a great opportunity to do it, as likely noone else will need it then. EM