Dan Whitney, CD...

DELTABLUE

"Dan Dan the Party Man". I sailed on Radiance out of Tampa in 2011 with him as CD. He was pretty good. He did some things like horse racing and other activities that people really enjoyed but have seem to have gone away.

cruisepictures209.jpg

Edited by ryano

Thanx for the info tahqa and ryano!;) Also, thanx for the picture. Looks like a spot on a Celebrity ship.:eek::rolleyes:Have not seen horse racing for some time now. It used to be quite the deal. Anyone cruised with him recently?

Dan was the CD on the first two cruises I ever took. I didn't understand how good he is at his job until I had sailed with several other CDs. The CD has very wide responsibilities for ensuring that the entertainment and activities on the ship appeal to all kinds of people, and that the staff are well-coordinated and do an enthusiastic job. The cruises I took with Dan as CD were terrific for offering a lot of enjoyable activities and events, and for staff that were always on-time, and made that extra effort to ensure people had a good time. Props to Dan for the great work! Hope I sail with him again.

Thanks for the update. Dan has been on ships in far east. Good to hear he

will be closer to home. He recently got married and had a baby. Have not

sailed with him in awhile, but a fan. Find that people either like him or they

don't.

Wow! Alert the media!

First Arnold Schwarzenegger,and now Dan Whitney!

:eek:

Think we all know his new wife had the baby. You surprise me on that on

Merion_Mom.

I didnt know. But it was a joke anyway. You put it out there like Dan himself had the baby :D She made reference to the old movie Junior where Arnie was pregnant and had a baby.

At least I think thats what she meant anyway. I hope I "got it"

Edited by ryano

Think we all know his new wife had the baby. You surprise me on that on

Merion_Mom.

Well, it's no small effort for a woman to deliver a baby. And then it's also no small effort for both the baby's parents to keep the child safe, healthy and happy. I don't know how you do this when you are a CD on a ship for many weeks at a time.

I really like Dan Whitney. I always hope we will have the opportunity to sail with him again! :D Here is a photo of Dan (with blonde hair, and a lot more of it) 1999 on Song of America:

DanWhitneySongofAmerica_zpse0ee0875.jpg

:D

Edited by Coralc

Was there a pink tutu and bare bum that went with the blond wig? Can't quite tell from this angle.:rolleyes: The picture reminded me of a getup Graham Seymour rocked years ago.:p

Thanx to all for sharing your takes on Dan. Sounds like we will be in good hands.;)

He was the Activities Director on one of our sailings many years ago. He was known as "Dan, Dan the Bingo Man" then. :). Very high energy and personable.

His wife worked on the ship too. That must be the ex-wife now if he recently married. :rolleyes:

"Dan Dan the Party Man". I sailed on Radiance out of Tampa in 2011 with him as CD. He was pretty good. He did some things like horse racing and other activities that people really enjoyed but have seem to have gone away.

cruisepictures209.jpg

I agree. We sailed with him over New Year's a few years ago. Among the cruise ship classics that Dan revived on that cruise was "If I were not upon the Sea" which is pictured in another photo on this thread,and it was almost as hilarious as it was when we first saw it decades ago.

Edited by negc

I had thought that the "If I Were Not Upon The Sea" thing was a RCI bit. My first 3 cruises were on RCI and it was done on all of them. Then I saw Graham Seymour do it on Princess. You just had to see him in his pink tutu!:eek::p Killer funny!:D

Nice if Dan has brought it back. It's a very cute bit and as they say, no joke is old if you have not heard it.;)

Dan Is Great, sailed with him twice,.....Very nice guy, always down to chat with you around the ship. (even though he's always rushing from event to event.) Always in a good mood,......and if you like the RCI "70's" dance party, he and his crew do one of the most fun ones at sea.;)

I had thought that the "If I Were Not Upon The Sea" thing was a RCI bit. My first 3 cruises were on RCI and it was done on all of them. Then I saw Graham Seymour do it on Princess. You just had to see him in his pink tutu!:eek::p Killer funny!:D

Nice if Dan has brought it back. It's a very cute bit and as they say, no joke is old if you have not heard it.;)

When I saw it on another line, Princess, I believe, they changed the opening line to "If I were not upon the Ship" which totally destroyed the rhyming lyrics. Otherwise it was basically the same as the RCI version. I first saw it on either the Nordic Prince or Song of America, sailing out of NYC to Bermuda.

• 3 weeks later...
Just found out that Dan Whitney will be CD on an upcoming Grandeur cruise. Has anyone cruised with him and have any impressions to share? Would like to have any skinny you are willing to impart.;) Thanx.

How did you find out that he will be on your upcoming cruise as CD? I know that Mitch Merucchi will be leaving Grandeur for vacation mid March and then returning in June after his vacation.

Edited by Paulette3028

This was posted over on the CD thread...

Grandeur OTS - Mitch Merucci from October 16 until February 13. Andre the Activities Manager takes over for the February 13th sailing only. Then, Dan Whitney from February 23 until April 28. Mitch will return from his break on April 28 for 4 months..

Here is a link to that thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1859416&page=123

I'm hoping all the good reports are true.;)