Final payment question

Boatingmom

How late can you pay? Up till midnight on final payment day or does it take time to process? :confused:I'm TOYING with the idea....Since the ship isn't at capacity should I cancel and rebook if it goes on sale? Risky but could pay off.How much do prices fall after final payment?

Depends upon how flexible you are. Have a very close friend that tried the game, and within a week the University of XYZ Alumni Association had booked every remaining single cabin in the category. Ends up they had been waiting to see how many cabins became available on that cruise versus another one before they booked. He lost.

Unless the cruise in very early Spring, or very late Fall, I wouldn't count on much of a price decrease. These are high risk times because of either lack of, or to much, water in the rivers, along with more unpredictable weather.

If you have a cabin you like, at a time you want, at a price you find acceptable the risks of playing the game may not be worth the rewards.

Unless the cruise in very early Spring, or very late Fall, I wouldn't count on much of a price decrease. These are high risk times because of either lack of, or to much, water in the rivers, along with more unpredictable weather.

If you have a cabin you like, at a time you want, at a price you find acceptable the risks of playing the game may not be worth the rewards.

I agree with Pinotlover....It also depends on the cruise line. For instance Vantage rarely changes between date of purchase and sailing and if it does, it's to increase not decrease. Remember with river cruises you're dealing with a little over 100 people not thousands like the big ships. Also depends on your financial circumstances. We wait until the last possible date to pay final installment because most of the time we make more in dividends than we save by pre-paying. I usually mail final payment a few days before it's due so they have it on the due date. I suppose if they had a waiting list and you're payment came in say 24 hours late, they could sell your cabin to someone else and refund your deposit.

Vantage does a small number of overbooking. Prior to our China trip they called and asked if we would delay our trip for three weeks for $1000. We agreed (since we did the airfare through Vantage) and saved $1000.

Who you are booked with might drive that decision.

Not every company will let you cancel without penalty. You *might* save a few dollars - but not much of a saving if you lost $100 (or more) by cancelling and re-booking later.

Fran

Edited by franski