Need Help Deciding Between IOS & NOS

robin13

I am planning a cruise with two friends for fall of 2015. Both of them just came back from NCL Jewel and hated it. They said the food was bad, the inside cabin very cramped, and the entertainment lacking. I on the other hand got back from the Allure and loved it. In looking at prices the Allure and Oasis are pretty expensive compared to IOS and NOS. My friends don't want to spend a lot of money so I thought we should do either IOS or NOS. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two ships? I was on IOS a year ago and really liked it but have not been on a voyager class ship. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Navigator is smaller than Independence. Navigator does not have a Flowrider. Both have an ice skating rink.The class sizes for Royal Caribbean go (from smallest to largest) Sovereign class, Vision class, Radiance class, Voyager class (Navigator), Freedom class (Independence), Quantum class, and Oasis class. I would base my choice on itinerary and cost of airfare getting to the ship.

Edited by wolfcathorse

I am planning a cruise with two friends for fall of 2015. Both of them just came back from NCL Jewel and hated it. They said the food was bad, the inside cabin very cramped, and the entertainment lacking. I on the other hand got back from the Allure and loved it. In looking at prices the Allure and Oasis are pretty expensive compared to IOS and NOS. My friends don't want to spend a lot of money so I thought we should do either IOS or NOS. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two ships? I was on IOS a year ago and really liked it but have not been on a voyager class ship. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Look at this thread regarding Liberty vs Navigator. Since Liberty is the same class as Indy, you can get some good info from these posts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2151414

Edited by clarea

Remember to consider getting to and from the port. Indy has many more flight options, and is just minutes from the pier. On the other hand, Navigator has more limited flight options, and the pier is about an hour from the airport and transfers are expensive

Remember to consider getting to and from the port. Indy has many more flight options, and is just minutes from the pier. On the other hand, Navigator has more limited flight options, and the pier is about an hour from the airport and transfers are expensive

That is very true. I sailed Navigator last year and Independence last week. Both have Flowriders but most other options are the same. Independence adds an H2O zone for the kids and is a 5 minute cab ride from the airport vs the 1 hour ride from Houston Hobby to Galveston (if you are lucky and don't hit traffic).

While Navigator is technically smaller than Independence, they feel about the same.

That is very true. I sailed Navigator last year and Independence last week. Both have Flowriders but most other options are the same. Independence adds an H2O zone for the kids and is a 5 minute cab ride from the airport vs the 1 hour ride from Houston Hobby to Galveston (if you are lucky and don't hit traffic).

While Navigator is technically smaller than Independence, they feel about the same.

Well if the OP is planning on sailing after November 2015, then Navigator will be in Fort Lauderdale. :)

I am planning a cruise with two friends for fall of 2015.

In fall 2015 Navigator will be in Galveston, Indy in FLL. Currently Navigator prices about $100pp lower than Indy, so this will pay for your transfers from the far away airports in Houston

Both of them just came back from NCL Jewel and hated it.

I too hated the Jewel.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two ships? I was on IOS a year ago and really liked it but have not been on a voyager class ship. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Pictures say a thousand words. Because you know Indy well, no need to look at reviews/pics. However, here's my review of the newly furbished Navigator

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040556

You can see all the pictures and venues so that you can compare. The basics are the same as Indy, except the back end of the ship is shorter, the Promenade is slightly thinner, and there's a new Mexican cuisine "Sabor" restaurant where the nightclub used to be... and this restaurant is the best in the royal Caribbean fleet in my opinion. I found the Navigator was somewhat country music/Texas focused so that may urge you to swing one way or the other.

Really though, I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Have a great cruise! :D

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Even though I live in Dallas this cruise would be out of Ft. Lauderdale. I like the ports better than the ones from Galveston. Since I have been on IOS I am steering towards NOS as it does seem to be pretty close to IOS.