Card Key Light Control in Stateroom

SeaGoingDAD

So, today we learned that you can stick any card into the light device that controls when the lights go out.

Having not been on a ship yet that has these, do you put the lights on first, and then stick an old S$S, library card, or expired credit card into the slot, or do you have to do that first to turn the lights on?

And, if nothing is in that slot, the lights go out after X minutes?

Edited by SeaGoingDAD

Funny you should bring this up....

Somebody posted on John Heald's FB page today, complaining that because they had to have their Sail & Sign card in there, there were many times they headed out to the bar, only to realize they have left it in the slot for the lights.:rolleyes:

As you may imagine, there were a TON of comments from people that they can use any old card, ie: old gift card, hotel room key, etc.

Hopefully more people will understand that going forward.:D:D

The entire purpose of the sign and sail card slot for lights is to discourage people from leaving their rooms with all the lights blazing for an entire day. Of course you can use other cards that are sized like the sign and sail card but be considerate and turn off lights when not in use.

The entire purpose of the sign and sail card slot for lights is to discourage people from leaving their rooms with all the lights blazing for an entire day. Of course you can use other cards that are sized like the sign and sail card but be considerate and turn off lights when not in use.

Which we do.;)

• Like 1

Funny you should bring this up....

Somebody posted on John Heald's FB page today, complaining that because they had to have their Sail & Sign card in there, there were many times they headed out to the bar, only to realize they have left it in the slot for the lights.:rolleyes:

As you may imagine, there were a TON of comments from people that they can use any old card, ie: old gift card, hotel room key, etc.

Hopefully more people will understand that going forward.:D:D

Well...at least their lights stayed on. :D

Well...at least their lights stayed on. :D

It's annoying when your spouse takes his key and leaves, and then you're in the dark within a minute. We just stick a previous cruises S&S card in. Didn't realize it could be anything. Live and learn.

It's annoying when your spouse takes his key and leaves, and then you're in the dark within a minute. We just stick a previous cruises S&S card in. Didn't realize it could be anything. Live and learn.

This will be our first cruise with this new system. It will take a bit to get used to. I will probably bring a gift card like others stated.

Lace, What is really annoying is when on the last day of the cruise you are disembarking and realize you left your S&S card in the slot:mad: only CCL ship this happened on was the Breeze. Also if the card is removed the A/C, fridge, and anything you are charging stays on.:cool: Pink

The stateroom steward will eventually turn the light off, so why bother?

Had read on another thread that this happened to a couple while the Mrs. was in the bathroom on the throne. Hubby left the cabin, and she was left in the dark. And she could not manually turn the bathroom light back on either because the card system controls the entire cabin.

What in the world are you folks talking about? :confused:

The keycard now controls the lights?

I believe it's on the Breeze, Dream and Magic. There's a slot near the main cabin light switch when you come into the cabin where you need to put your sail n sign card or something equivalent that will activate a sensor that allows you to turn the lights on.

I believe it's on the Breeze, Dream and Magic. There's a slot near the main cabin light switch when you come into the cabin where you need to put your sail n sign card or something equivalent that will activate a sensor that allows you to turn the lights on.

Unless they've added it after we were on her, the Dream didn't have that feature.

DH and I just experienced this for the first time in November on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam. Worked out fine and it is much better not to waste so much electricity by leaving lights on. The bathroom light would stay on so we weren't in complete darkness when entering the suite at night. One way to help keep prices down in the future.

Honestly, I get why they do it. There are people I am sure who leave the lights on all day long when they are gone. But honestly, we are pretty mindful of our lights and really do try to leave them off when not in the cabin. But that's not to say one cabin mate may leave and the other may stay behind. For instance husband goes to get something from the lido deck while wife is still in cabin. I don't like having to put so much thought into will the lights stay on/who's card should we take etc. I'm sure we will just take an old gift card so we don't have to think about it. Just because we don't always leave at the same time.

I use a card and keep it in there because I want my room to remain nice and cool, if the lights go out the ac must go out.

We always shut the lights when we are out of the room but sometimes at night I would keep a small light on so when I come in the room I can see. (usually one of those bed reading lights) but we never keep the other lights on.