No more Carnival for us

rvmike

Something about this whole situation doesn't add up to me. I booked a cruise once with a TA - I had a question and called Carnival - they very politely told me the account was out of their hands and to call the TA. I can understand that. My call had nothing to do with pricing - just a question about a cabin. When you book with a TA you are out of Carnival's hands. Period.

This is correct. My last two bookings have been with a TA and they will not talk to you solely. Now sometimes they will do 3-way calls. Perhaps that's what took place here or maybe the OP was just telling the story as if they was actually talking to Carnival.

None of that is a big deal to me. What I don't get is why the OP knew the rules and then got upset when Carnival followed them. If the price dropped under the 48 hour guarantee, then the OP is owed the lower price so long as there are cabins in the same category with the same capacity as those they booked. Even under the 48 hour guarantee, the price has to properly match. If not, then cut your losses and enjoy your cruise. It's totally his/her prerogative to sail with another line. But they all have pricing rules. Anywhere you go you will have to abide by pricing rules.

Sure Carnival could have bent a little, and many times they do. Depends on your approach, who you get on the phone, etc. But a sense of entitlement will often get you nowhere as the OP learned.

Dolfin,

I understand the rules but not bending does not keep repat customers.

?

Couldn't be further from the truth. You leaving because you expect special treatment amounts to nothing compared to what it would cost Carnival to "bend" the rules for everyone that booked this fare.

Maybe the TA didn't want to get the price dropped as it reduces their commission.

And was it exactly 49 hours later that the price dropped or is that just when you happened to check? I doubt Carnival has someone looking at everyone's booking strategically figuring out the exact minute the 48 hour guarantee expires.

Don't stress and enjoy your cruise. I'm sorry to hear you are letting this ruin your future bookings with Carnival, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Best of luck to you.

Why is it that people think that a cruise line is going to go under if THEY stop using it??? And those same people, if they don't get what THEY want, when THEY want it, are disappointed in the cruise line and won't use that one anymore?

You were happy when you booked the cruise--whether it was just for you, or you and 7 others-- so why is a price change a deal breaker??? You didn't book ES, so you don't qualify. You want a discount because the price went down and you didn't catch it until the 49th hour had passed, and you could only get the discount until 48 hours?? Why weren't you online checking the prices at the 47th hour if that was so important to you??? That way, you would have caught the cheaper fare in time???

Personally, I'd rather not cruise with people who expect a company to bend the rules for them or they will throw a temper tantrum.

Yes, swearing to never go on another cruise with a company over a price drop outside of the agreed upon terms is throwing a temper tantrum.

I highly doubt your 48 hour time period was even a factor in decreasing the price. They have many people booking at all times of the day.

Bottom line: not a bad business practice to honor the terms you agreed to, Carnival isn't out to get you/price-gouge you specifically, and it's a bit childish to get so angry about it to rant about it on a message board about it to people that most likely like the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked a cruise in 2008 when they started the program where you can book on board or buy the FCC's. Within a few months after booking they introduced the Early Saver rates and the cabin category I booked I could have saved $400. Problem was when the agent was on the phone with Carnival they said I could cancel, but that cabin could feasibly disappear during the cancellation and then rebooking of the cruise. I didn't want to risk losing the cabin, since there were only four cabins and two were gone and me cancelling and rebooking would make it three. I let it go, had a fabulous 40th on the Splendor and have cruise seven more times with Carnival since then....Yes, $400 is a lot, but knowing my cabin was mine, I didn't let it bother me at all...

They make you pay for what you see and gave a 48 hr guarantee. When they change the price 49 hrs later you are stuck. Very deceptive practice. As I said they just lost 7 cruisers for $25 dollars. Still taking the cruise but no money will be spent by 7 guests. Will go back to Oceania and will try Princess out of L.A. Our booking gave us a $50 obc but the fare dropped $100, times 3 cabins.

You do realize that very similar policies exist on most cruiselines? Rarely do they give prices drops, especially after final payment.

Dolfin,

I understand the rules but not bending does not keep repat customers.

Not all cruises are done with a TA, are you new to this ?

If they bend the rules for you, then they have to do it for everyone. Kinda defeats the purpose of having rules. :rolleyes:

I've had price drops after final payment. I was disappointed but I know the rules and I enjoyed the cruise. It sounds drastic to cancel your future cruises and drop Carnival over $100 especially since Carnival did nothing wrong. A shame.

They make you pay for what you see and gave a 48 hr guarantee. When they change the price 49 hrs later you are stuck. Very deceptive practice. As I said they just lost 7 cruisers for $25 dollars. Still taking the cruise but no money will be spent by 7 guests. Will go back to Oceania and will try Princess out of L.A. Our booking gave us a $50 obc but the fare dropped $100, times 3 cabins.

You do realize that Princess is owned by Carnival corp. right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rob&tam

Did call the TA and he tried' date=' I tried. I still think it is wrong to drop the price 49 hrs after the fact. Not good business.[/quote'].

Besides cruise lines, how about airlines, car rentals and hotels. The prices go up and down all the time. To get the best prices there are always restrictions. At some point you have to bite the bullet and accept the price and have fun.

Life is too short for you to purposely not spend extra money on the cruise. You'll have less fun and Carnival won't even know the difference.

How about you just forget about the small amount of money and all of you have a great time. Cruising is all about having fun not holding a grudge on $100.

Have a great time.:cool:

*They didn't "make" you pay, you chose to pay. You liked the price enough to pay it, so you did.

*They did not deceptively change the price 49 hours after you booked. They ran a sale. If you buy a car, and the dealership runs a sale the following weekend, can you take the car back and demand some of your money back? If so, and it works, let me know where you bought that car at, I want to go there, as well!

*THEY did not lose 7 guests for $25. Seven guests chose to give up cruising on a specific cruise line for $25.

HOw is that deceptive? They didn't MAKE you do anything. Did you fly? Are you upset with the airlines also when their rates change?

The final payment on my cruise April 6th is due by Jan 21st. I have been checking for more price drops but I know that is not going to happen until after final payment.

I am so happy with the price I paid for the cruise, I have saved almost $1300.00 since I booked last March.

I think you need to be content with the price in which you booked or why would you have booked it?

If my math is correct, you are stressing over $175? So not worth it and if you like Carnival, which it seems like you do, you would be cutting off your nose to spite your face by never sailing with them again.

The money is spent, just try and enjoy your cruise!

OK you are all correct. I hope nothing likes this comes across your lives. Enjoy your cruises.

It did to me. I booked on Saturday after noon, and by Tuesday morning (roughly 68 hours later) the cruise was $60 cheaper. This will be my 7 cruise with Carnival. I contacted my PVP and he told me there is nothing he could do because it was past final payment and obvious it was past 48 hours, but only 16 more hours than you. I asked simply hoping I would get something, not expecting. While initially I got nothing, he got me a sweet upgrade (for a price) that I thought made my initial investement plus the upgrade fee a lot better deal then the $60 off my original booking.

Now I have never dealt with a TA with a cruise. I know the one time I have dealt with a TA, they worked pretty hard for me, but they were trying to grow a business then. Maybe they didn't work hard enough for you, or maybe you are are just paying a little extra for using a TA. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Seems like a lot of bellyaching for a lousy $25. And I am not talking about Carnival...I'm talking about the OP who obviously thinks he is so special that fare rules do not apply to him and is willing to whine and complain and stomp his feet on a public forum about it. Life is too short to get so worked up over a measly few dollars. If you can afford to cruise and the price was affordable to you at the time you booked it, then I really don't see where you have any room to complain.

I'm sorry you are so frustrated.

Here's my philosophy...I book a vacation, be it a cruise, weekend getaway at the beach, whatever. I pay the rate I am willing to pay, check all the penalties/rules (Former travel agent in me). Then, unless I know I can get a refund, I quit checking prices. I am also sorry that your travel agent didn't explain the policies more thoroughly to you.

Prices fluctuate due to supply and demand. They can fluctuate up and down by the hour. Even the minute. And don't get me started on the airlines. I remember fares changing as many as three times while I was booking them for clients.

I am sure that if you were on board and did a survey of every cabin in your category, you would have at least a dozen different prices paid. That's just the nature of the business.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I love to get a good deal as much as anyone, and I do a good bit of research before making a purchase to satisfy myself and my budget. It's only human to want a better deal. Yeah, I'd get being ticked off if the price dropped $500. But it dropped $100 per room ($50 per person) and you're getting all riled up over thinking you can get Carnival to negotiate $25? Come on man. I'm not trying to beat you up too bad, but what are you thinking? That if you make a big stink on the phone everyone will get a few free beers out of it? $25 in the cost of a vacation is like a rounding error practically. $25 almost isn't worth the time it takes for me to get frustrated.

And for what it is worth, the credit card I use for larger purchases includes a price watch; if something I bought is advertised afterwards in some time frame for less money all I have to do is show the ad to my credit card company and they refund me the difference. Not sure if it would apply to a cruise, but it could potentially.

As a shareholder...see ya...but do try that Princess line, they are lovely. :D

It's going to happen to all of us at some point in time, no matter the cruise line or what category room you book. When you book a cruise make sure your happy with the fare your paying, that way price drops are not expected but are a welcomed bonus. Also, instead of trying to get money back, act as your own "upgrade fairy" and seek to move up for a minimum amount or free. It can be done. On our past cruise after final payment the price of ocean views drop so much that it only cost me 10 whole bucks to switch from an inside.

So try to enjoy your vacation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

After booking 3 cabins for 7 people on the Imagination the price drops. Carnival tells me that since we paid in full nothing can be done (booked with a TA). The diff is only $100 and tried to bargain it down to $25 but no go. I gave our booking numbers for 2 other cruises and still nada. Carnival just lost the 2 other bookings. They did not care. I understand I paid for the original booking but not budging a little is not a way to keep 7 guests from going to another line. Flame on

You booked with a TA so Carnival has no control over your booking. Your cabins will be easily sold to someone else so Carnival has no worries if you go elsewhere. Have fun with whoever you cruise on.