Princess Cays - Water shoes?

michelle028

Yes, I would say water shoes would be a good idea. The left side of the tender dock as you face the water is very rocky, the right side less so. But DH and I always take water shoes. (actually he uses his crocs)

I've gotten by fine without water shoes. The secret is to carefully wade into the water, then start swimming. The rockiest area is a few yards from the shore. The water is 2-4 feet deep there.

On the other hand, it would have been good to have had shoes when we walked to the point at the far right side of the beach. We could have walked farther if I had had my shoes with me.

Yes, I would say water shoes would be a good idea. The left side of the tender dock as you face the water is very rocky, the right side less so. But DH and I always take water shoes. (actually he uses his crocs)

And all this time I though the lest side was rockier. :D Either way it's the Rockiest beach we've ever been to.

The beach at Princess Caye is a manufactured beach and far from natural. Therefore there are rocks under the water which can cause injury to sensitive feet. It is not going to change. The best advice is to wear aqua shoes if you want to play in the water. The beach hardly compares to a natural beach like the one on Grand Cayman or St Marteen.

And all this time I though the lest side was rockier. :D Either way it's the Rockiest beach we've ever been to.

Grand Turk was by far the rockiest beach we've ever been to...never could have gone into the water without water shoes...never used them at Princess Cay, but wouldn't tell anyone not to take them, just in case...we love Princess Cay!

Grand Turk was by far the rockiest beach we've ever been to...never could have gone into the water without water shoes...never used them at Princess Cay, but wouldn't tell anyone not to take them, just in case...we love Princess Cay!

In Grand Turk when facing the beach the rocky side is to the right. It's terrible. Go to the left & it's not all that bad and much better than Princess's Cays.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought water shoes before our first cruise 3 years ago and they are great for all aspects of water sports! I love them and I bought them at Sears on line for around 20. Tried to get some for hubby but had a hard time finding bigger ones..he is not as much into the water as I am so he doesn't mind!

Nearly all passengers get off the tenders and stay in the main areas. The swimming coves there have some rocks but my wife and I have not had any problems (I can see how others could). Water shoes would not hurt. However with perhaps 2000+ people (or maybe more) these areas become crowded. I hesitate to divulge this but if one walks to the left (as one faces the shoreline when coming in) past the bungalows and fishing area (perhaps 1/4 of mile) the picture below is what you will find - a great beach all to yourself with no one else there. I don't know why Princess has not developed this area but I am glad that they have not.

I don't know when you are travelling but we just got off the Royal and unfortunately missed Princess Cay due to waves at the dock. This was a big disappointment to us. In my own personal experience we have missed PC 1/3 of the time. I know others have had better luck. Going later in the season helps.

25_zps31ecedbd.jpg