Manhattan or Brooklyn

dockhl

Some of the Regal Princess fall cruises NY to NY (via New England, Nova Scotia, etc) are listed as originating and/or ending as both Manhattan and Brooklyn. I'm assuming that they don't find out the specific port assignments until close to sailing dates? Am I correct?

Mike

Some of the Regal Princess fall cruises NY to NY (via New England, Nova Scotia, etc) are listed as originating and/or ending as both Manhattan and Brooklyn. I'm assuming that they don't find out the specific port assignments until close to sailing dates? Am I correct?

Mike

We are on Regal Princess for this itinerary and I wondered the same thing. I called Princess yesterday and was told quite definitively that she is scheduled to sail from Brooklyn. I'll have to assume the gentleman was correct altho I'd far prefer the alternate.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

2013, 2014...5 months at our summer home on Cape Cod....priceless!

2015…Regal Princess New England/ Canada…new ship, new adventures in a favorite place

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

We are on Regal Princess for this itinerary and I wondered the same thing. I called Princess yesterday and was told quite definitively that she is scheduled to sail from Brooklyn. I'll have to assume the gentleman was correct altho I'd far prefer the alternate.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

Oct 2012....OBX

2015…Regal Princess New England/ Canada…new ship, new adventures in a favorite place

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

Yes we ported at Brooklyn a few weeks back and it is not the best area. I would suggest arranging transportation out of the area pre-cruise.

Mike

Yes we ported at Brooklyn a few weeks back and it is not the best area. I would suggest arranging transportation out of the area pre-cruise.

Mike

I know what you mean about that area. We have sailed Queen Mary 2 out of there a few times and it isn't the most attractive place. At least you get a nice glimpse of the Statue of Liberty as you sail but it's not the same as that sail down the Hudson. I've been told that many cab drivers either don't want to go there or don't know where it is......perhaps that's improved since our last time, but we've never used a cab ourselves.

I'd definitely use a car service....more reliable and fixed pricing so you know what you are dealing with. Cabs can be hard to come by as the ship unloads. I use either Arecibo or Dial 7, both of which have never let me down and arrived on time.

Cheers, Penny

Oct 2012....OBX

Mike

In general, Princess only uses the Manhattan docks nowadays for in-transit stops or if QM2 is in town.

In general, Princess only uses the Manhattan docks nowadays for in-transit stops or if QM2 is in town.

Last Saturday of September 2014, both the Queen Mary 2 and the Royal Princess were in New York. QM2 was docked in Manhattan and the Royal Princess was in Brooklyn.

And there is only one close hotel nearby. I wouldn't walk around there at night either. we did but started when it was light out and were with another couple. When it got dark, didn't feel safe at all. Good Pizza places.

Liquor stores that sell wine a huge experience. Person working there behind a

totally enclosed area with a slot big enough to hand you what you want and for you to pay for it. Person let us in the locked back area but not the locals.

View of Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline is so spectacular, a fabulous place to sail from. We have sailed both into and out of Brooklyn a few times.

Edited by san diego sue

Mike

We also used Brooklyn as our port stop (no ship in Manhattan). It was disappointing :(. Arrange to have a car pick you up.

We were on the Ruby's Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise this past fall and we docked in Brooklyn. I agree with others - the views are incredible and we were lucky enough to be on the starboard side of the ship which was facing lower Manhattan (I don't know if the ships always dock in one direction or not).

There is an alternative to a car hire but it depends on whether you have any mobility issues and if the weather cooperates: public transportation. Being fit and blessed with beautiful weather (if it had been raining we would have taken a taxi -- there were a number of them waiting for passengers when we disembarked), we (a group of 4) opted to take the subway after receiving assurances from many on the East Coast Departures Board. The subway is about a 30 minute walk and I think we paid $10 per person in fares (Brooklyn to Ground Zero, Ground Zero to Times Square, Grand Central Station back to Brooklyn). We received great guidance from the folks (especially smeyer) on the East Coast Departure boards. The directions were easy:

"you walk out the walk in entrance to van brunt make a left to summit street make a right cross over the brooklyn queens expressway on the foot bridge keep walking until smith street and carroll street f train to manhattan."

Here's my 'thank you note' to the folks that helped:

We had a fabulous day in NYC yesterday. The weather was gorgeous and we walked about 1 - 1 1/2 miles (half hour) to the Carroll street station- half a mile to get out of the port (we walked out the vehicle entrance of the port since it was in the direction we needed to go), 2 blocks on a street thru an industrial area and then thru a neighborhood with kids going to school, crossing guards at every corner and lots of folks pushing baby strollers (a little baby boom in Brooklyn!). The neighborhood was lovely - tree lined street with big brownstones decorated for Halloween. We're so glad we followed your advice! Everyone we met was helpful - we just needed to look the least bit confused in a subway station and someone would offer to help us. After a long day we returned to the ship where our balcony had a spectacular view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The breath taking Sail away was the end of a memorable day.

(if it had been raining we would have taken a taxi -- there were a number of them waiting for passengers when we disembarked)

I had done the same cruise a few years earlier and there were no taxis. I would not count on them being there and would still arrange a car. It was incredibly disorganized when I disembarked.

I found the area around the pier very industrial and would not do the walk. I did walk around the area.

Since you have limited time, I also would skip the 30 minute walk to the subway. You lose about an hour by doing it that way.

Edited by Coral

We were on the Ruby's Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise this past fall and we docked in Brooklyn. I agree with others - the views are incredible and we were lucky enough to be on the starboard side of the ship which was facing lower Manhattan (I don't know if the ships always dock in one direction or not).

There is an alternative to a car hire but it depends on whether you have any mobility issues and if the weather cooperates: public transportation. Being fit and blessed with beautiful weather (if it had been raining we would have taken a taxi -- there were a number of them waiting for passengers when we disembarked), we (a group of 4) opted to take the subway after receiving assurances from many on the East Coast Departures Board. The subway is about a 30 minute walk and I think we paid $10 per person in fares (Brooklyn to Ground Zero, Ground Zero to Times Square, Grand Central Station back to Brooklyn). We received great guidance from the folks (especially smeyer) on the East Coast Departure boards. The directions were easy:

"you walk out the walk in entrance to van brunt make a left to summit street make a right cross over the brooklyn queens expressway on the foot bridge keep walking until smith street and carroll street f train to manhattan."

Here's my 'thank you note' to the folks that helped:

We had a fabulous day in NYC yesterday. The weather was gorgeous and we walked about 1 - 1 1/2 miles (half hour) to the Carroll street station- half a mile to get out of the port (we walked out the vehicle entrance of the port since it was in the direction we needed to go), 2 blocks on a street thru an industrial area and then thru a neighborhood with kids going to school, crossing guards at every corner and lots of folks pushing baby strollers (a little baby boom in Brooklyn!). The neighborhood was lovely - tree lined street with big brownstones decorated for Halloween. We're so glad we followed your advice! Everyone we met was helpful - we just needed to look the least bit confused in a subway station and someone would offer to help us. After a long day we returned to the ship where our balcony had a spectacular view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The breath taking Sail away was the end of a memorable day.

We had a starboard cabin on our 2013 Quebec - Ft Lauderdale trip and had the Manhattan view as well so I would go for starboard if you can..

We also did the walk as described by cappricio and I agree completely - we enjoyed exploring Brooklyn once over the freeway and we carried our walk on over the Brooklyn Bridge. This was good for us as we had been to Manhattan a few times before and were looking for a different experience.

I also agree however that there weren't many taxis, so if you don't want to or can't make the walk then it would be best to book a car in advance as others have said.

Julie

I had done the same cruise a few years earlier and there were no taxis. I would not count on them being there and would still arrange a car. It was incredibly disorganized when I disembarked.

I found the area around the pier very industrial and would not do the walk. I did walk around the area.

Since you have limited time, I also would skip the 30 minute walk to the subway. You lose about an hour by doing it that way.

Obviously everyone will make their own decisions but I've always felt that it helps to consider all the alternatives. Not everyone may want to spend over $100 on transportation by hiring a car.

RE: Taxis - maybe a few years time has made a difference? As I said there were plenty of taxis as we exited the ship and on our walk back thru the port we saw plenty of taxis returning (which I had read on other posts from years passed that was problematic). Just saw Julie's response about taxis. We left the ship around 8:30 after the initial rush (we had 10 am tickets to the 9/11 museum and arrived about 30 minutes early) so maybe that and a year's time made a difference.

Edited by capriccio

We enjoyed exploring Brooklyn once over the freeway and we carried our walk on over the Brooklyn Bridge. This was good for us as we had been to Manhattan a few times before and were looking for a different experience.

Julie

This is what we plan to do next time (and there will be a next time because we all - DH, DB and SIL- thought this was a fabulous cruise)!

Edited by capriccio

Obviously everyone will make their own decisions but I've always felt that it helps to consider all the alternatives. Not everyone may want to spend over $100 on transportation by hiring a car.

RE: Taxis - maybe a few years time has made a difference? As I said there were plenty of taxis as we exited the ship and on our walk back thru the port we saw plenty of taxis returning (which I had read on other posts from years passed that was problematic). Just saw Julie's response about taxis. We left the ship around 8:30 after the initial rush (we had 10 am tickets to the 9/11 museum and arrived about 30 minutes early) so maybe that made a difference.

Though, just because there are taxis one year, doesn't guarantee taxis the following year. This is not a common cruise, it is a one off and they may not show up next year.

I knew several who hired a van driver. They said it was the same price as taking the subway because there were 6. Considering the long walk and limited time in port - if you want to maximize your time in port, I think the van/car is the way to go.

If people want to waste 30 minutes walk each way, they have that option. I would rather spend the extra time in the city. So much to do, so little time.

Edited by Coral

I did a fast trial booking with Dial 7 ( hopefully I was using the right addresses) from the hotel we'll probably use in mid town to the Brooklyn pier and it was $55 for a sedan....don't need a fancy limo just to get to the ship. Obviously tip on top of that adds to the cost, but for us it's a more comfortable, hassle free solution.

Cheers, Penny

Oct 2012....OBX

If people want to waste 30 minutes walk each way, they have that option. I would rather spend the extra time in the city. So much to do, so little time.

Twice we have taken a taxi to the subway and then the subway into Manhattan.

Only problem is that when returning via subway, it may be hard to find a cab from the subway station to the ship.

One of the advantages of being in Brooklyn....and easy walk....and safe...is being able to go to the restaurant POk POk...one of the top Chiefs in the country...and the best Thai food you will get this side of Thailand....except for Portland where the first restaurant is.....there is a great little deli very close by one of the two motels/hotels you will stay at. It has been there since the Middle Ages...or at least from the '50's....good Italian here's....cheap....and good....my uncle who was a tug boat Captain in NYC would let me tag along when he had to go to the docks and we would stop there for a sandwich for lunch...still there....still good. Not having lived in the city since I was a kid, I was surprised to still see it....the whole area is being gentrified....and it is pretty safe to walk around....lots of families especially on a summer night....

When we stopped in Brooklyn we were so thankful that we had arranged for a towncar to bring us into the city as we also saw no taxis when we got off the ship. I spoke with several who had tried to call for taxis and they never came. We gave the towncar a time to pick us up and it worked out very well. I wish I remember how much it was but it didn't seem too expensive.

Many years ago we embarked in Manhattan and loved cruising out of Manhattan. So close to everything. Too bad Princess doesn't use this pier anymore.

Edited by Casey12

• 3 weeks later...
To answer the original question, Princess always ports in Brooklyn....enjoy:)

True, except that is, when on rare occasions, there may be two Princess ships in port the same day...

In that case, generally the ship doing a one week round trip sailing such as the Regal Princess, will use Brooklyn, and the one doing a longer, one way sailing, such as the Caribbean Princess, will use Manhattan.

This year, none of the dates coincide, so both will use Brooklyn...