Confused about time while cruising

Sailing Serenade of the Seas from New Orleans' date=' which is in the central time zone. Will the ship be on CST? We are scheduled to arrive at Cozumel at 9:00 am. which is also CST. If I book an excursion at 10 am Cozumel time will I be ok?[/quote']

Ships do one of two things w.r.t. timezone change:

Stay on ships time the entire cruise

Track the timezone change

It is often the former if there is only one timezone change either way, and the latter if there are several timezones crossed there is a significant timezone jump (say traveling from a non-DST timezone to one that does do DST).

In your case, Cozumel and New Orleans are in the same timezone, so even if the ship tracks timezone changes (which I doubt they will), if you arrive in Cozumel at 9am ships time, it will be that in local time.

Just to add a lovely twist into it for you, Quintana Room, MX is changing time zones Feb 1. This includes Cancun, Playa, and Cozumel... It will be going forward to EST.

So, if you're sailing after Feb 1, Cozumel will be EST. One hour ahead.of CST. Whether or not ship will change ship time is anyone's guess. Often they do not change time if its just one change, as noted earlier.

The important thing into pay attention to SHIP'S time. The tour operators are aware of when ships dock, they'll know whether you're ship will be there in time for the tour.

Enjoy your sailing.

Edited by reedprincess

On a recent cruise where a time change took place the housekeeper place a memo in my cabin advising time change is about to take place, and when we were going to change back another memo was left in my cabin. Also it will be posted in the "daily compass".

Generally in your instance, the ship will stay on the time from your departure port, so CST. Your compass will say what time to be back on the ship, in "Ship Time" which should be CST. Carry a wristwatch, as cell phones will change time to the port, which will be different from "Ship time"

Just to add a lovely twist into it for you, Quintana Room, MX is changing time zones Feb 1. This includes Cancun, Playa, and Cozumel... It will be going forward to EST.

Indeed! Note, however, that it appears as if they won't be following DST, so between April and November it will be the same as CDT (like most things though, this could change).

So, if you're sailing after Feb 1, Cozumel will be EST. One hour ahead.of CST. Whether or not ship will change ship time is anyone's guess. Often they do not change time if its just one change, as noted earlier.

The important thing into pay attention to SHIP'S time. The tour operators are aware of when ships dock, they'll know whether you're ship will be there in time for the tour.

Enjoy your sailing.

I would like to put emphasis on the tour operators knowing this, as any reputable operator will not only know but make sure adhere to the ships time. So to the OP, let the operator know what the cruise line thinks is their arrival, and they should make the appropriate adjustment.

In other words, it really doesn't matter. Bring a watch..do NOT use your cell phone for time...and set your watch to whatever time the ship's clocks say BEFORE your leave the ship! There are clocks at every exit. Ship's time is all that matters!

A private guide knows how this stuff works....no worries!

If I book an excursion at 10 am Cozumel time will I be ok?

I should add, that if you book an excursion through the cruise line any time adjustment has already been done for you and the operator knows exactly what time to keep on, so no worries.

It would only be relevant if you book an excursion on your own and not through the cruise line. And even then, if they are a reputable operator they already know and can handle any possible difference between local and ships time.

There will be a bill board at the exit of the ship before you leave.

It will include what time you must be back on board, and also will have a saying;

"...........stay on ships time..........."

ALL ABOARD TIME _____.

And if in doubt ask before you leave.

Customer service is the best place.

Safe travels.

Sailing Serenade of the Seas from New Orleans' date=' which is in the central time zone. Will the ship be on CST? We are scheduled to arrive at Cozumel at 9:00 am. which is also CST. If I book an excursion at 10 am Cozumel time will I be ok?[/quote']

On the lighter side,,,,

We always thought of time aboard a ship this way,,,,,

Time for a drink!:D

Enjoy your sailing.

We will be there Feb. 5 so we will be affected by the new time change. I am not concerned about figuring out what time to be using once we get there, I was just trying to figure out what time to book our private tour. I will assume the tour operator will know when to expect us.

We will be there Feb. 5 so we will be affected by the new time change. I am not concerned about figuring out what time to be using once we get there' date=' I was just trying to figure out what time to book our private tour. I will assume the tour operator will know when to expect us.[/quote']

You should be right, any reputable tour operator should know what time the ship comes in. Contact them and ask they should know.

Not all ships change time to match the islands, so your best bet would be to check with the tour operator.