Length of pool - Millenium

Don't recall the name, but the covered pool nearest the spa is fairly long compared to many cruise ships.

You will get more than 4 strokes, maybe 6. If you're an avid athlete or even a mediocre one it is no substitute for the gym. Also that pool(most ships pools actually) are used more for relaxation or play. Other passengers may become annoyed with a person taking up all the space swimming back and forth.

Sick to the gym for your workouts and use the pools to cool down.

Don't recall the name, but the covered pool nearest the spa is fairly long compared to many cruise ships.

You will get more than 4 strokes, maybe 6. If you're an avid athlete or even a mediocre one it is no substitute for the gym. Also that pool(most ships pools actually) are used more for relaxation or play. Other passengers may become annoyed with a person taking up all the space swimming back and forth.

Sick to the gym for your workouts and use the pools to cool down.

I think you are thinking of the pool on S class ships, Not Millennium. EM

I swam competitively from the age of 6 though college and participated in Masters until about 10 years ago. I tried swimming a few laps when we went to South America on Millenium in 2006. Very few kids and not a lot of people in the pool. NOT fun. About 6-7 strokes (I'm a backstroker), flip turn and back I went. I got out after about 6 laps. I had more fun sitting in the hot tub going through the glaciers.

We have a 44' swimming pool in my backyard. Even that is too short for my liking but my dear departed husband just wasn't putting in the short course (25 yards) pool I wanted. Too much water, too much chlorine, too much upkeep and he didn't swim much. So the pool was for me, the instructor that uses our pool to teach the basics of PADI scuba and my Labradors. When we put in the pool, he stated my turns would get a lot better and my times for Masters Swimming might be a lot faster. At my age, I am now lucky to make the turns without hitting my head.

FORGET swimming laps. Just isn't in the cards.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I was planning to swim at 6am before the masses arrive by the pool but based on all of your comments I don't think I'll pack my hat and goggles then! Appreciate all of your comments, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also give the indoor pool a try. It called a Thalassotherapy pool. Most people call it a T-pool. It is warm salt water that is supposed to have rejuvenating properties. Love this pool. Wish all ships had such a relaxing pool.

cruise-constellation-04.jpg

i swam competitively from the age of 6 though college and participated in masters until about 10 years ago. I tried swimming a few laps when we went to south america on millenium in 2006. Very few kids and not a lot of people in the pool. Not fun. About 6-7 strokes (i'm a backstroker), flip turn and back i went. I got out after about 6 laps. I had more fun sitting in the hot tub going through the glaciers.

We have a 44' swimming pool in my backyard. Even that is too short for my liking but my dear departed husband just wasn't putting in the short course (25 yards) pool i wanted. Too much water, too much chlorine, too much upkeep and he didn't swim much. So the pool was for me, the instructor that uses our pool to teach the basics of padi scuba and my labradors. When we put in the pool, he stated my turns would get a lot better and my times for masters swimming might be a lot faster. At my age, i am now lucky to make the turns without hitting my head.

Forget swimming laps. Just isn't in the cards.

tmi

tmi

NOT TMI if the OP is the serious swimmer he appears to be (hat and goggles are a good clue).

Without a huge pushoff in my own pool (just a normal, grab the wall start) and dolphin underwater almost the length of the pool (rule is 15 yards in competition-sure built my cardio in my own pool), I can manage 8, sometimes 9 full strokes the length of my pool. Only 6, possibly 7 in the Millenium pool and I sure wasn't trying for any speed records or technique corrections. And cracked my head a couple of times because there are no lane markers, no colored flags or anything to denote when the end of the pool is fast approaching. Looking over my shoulder to see the end of the pool is not something competitive backstrokers or IM'ers are used to. I was looking at the sky and counting strokes after first time I cracked my head.

To illustrate to the OP the difference was my only point that cruise ship pools are NOT made for serious swimmers to swim laps unless you want to practice turns. And after a few very short laps, you will either be taking a break because you are bored to tears or your O2 sats are being depleted from all those flip turns.

NOT TMI if the OP is the serious swimmer he appears to be (hat and goggles are a good clue).[/Quote]

Not sure how telling everybody about your "44' swimming pool", and your husband's concerns about upkeep, is relevant to the topic of the length of a pool on a cruise ship. A simple "No, Millennium's pool is too short for lap swimming" would have been much more effective.

TMI? Absolutely.

It's like asking someone what time it is, and they instead tell you all about the brand of the watch they are wearing, where they bought it, how much it cost, how often they wear it. ;)

Without a huge pushoff in my own pool (just a normal, grab the wall start) and dolphin underwater almost the length of the pool (rule is 15 yards in competition-sure built my cardio in my own pool), I can manage 8, sometimes 9 full strokes the length of my pool. Only 6, possibly 7 in the Millenium pool and I sure wasn't trying for any speed records or technique corrections. And cracked my head a couple of times because there are no lane markers, no colored flags or anything to denote when the end of the pool is fast approaching. Looking over my shoulder to see the end of the pool is not something competitive backstrokers or IM'ers are used to. I was looking at the sky and counting strokes after first time I cracked my head.

To illustrate to the OP the difference was my only point that cruise ship pools are NOT made for serious swimmers to swim laps unless you want to practice turns. And after a few very short laps, you will either be taking a break because you are bored to tears or your O2 sats are being depleted from all those flip turns.

Edited by sloopsailor

Not sure how telling everybody about your "44' swimming pool", and your husband's concerns about upkeep, is relevant to the topic of the length of a pool on a cruise ship. A simple "No, Millennium's pool is too short for lap swimming" would have been much more effective.

TMI? Absolutely.

It's like asking someone what time it is, and they instead tell you all about the brand of the watch they are wearing, where they bought it, how much it cost, how often they wear it. ;)

You obviously are not a competitive swimmer or one who take their lap swimming seriously. I believe the OP does. Could be wrong. Could someone who wants to swim a few laps and does just that in the health club they belong to get some kind of workout? Probably-not much but maybe a little something.

The OP, IMHO, does not fit the 10 laps a day swimmer. Think what you want but was trying to give the OP some perspective if he really wanted to swim laps that MEANT something. Otherwise, it is just a few minutes of fun for a novice. But I sure didn't take it that the OP was a novice. Hence, the additional info. So go swim to your hearts content in the miniscule pools on most cruise ships.

Serious swimmer or not, the OP probably understood swimming laps probably was not a good idea or feasible with posts #2&3.;):)

You will be hard pressed to find a time without others in the pool in order to swim laps. EM

4 strokes, turn...4 strokes, turn....repeat.

Serious swimmer or not, the OP probably understood swimming laps probably was not a good idea or feasible with posts #2&3.;):)

OP said he was going to swim laps at 6AM. NOT the normal time everyone is in the pool BUT it IS the normal time serious swimmers or competitive swimmers swim. Spent well over 20 years of my life at the pool no later than 6AM.

So the OP is...

1. Female

2. Fairly serious swimmer (swam for a club until my teens and swims 2 to 3kms once or times a week nowadays)

3. Does get up at 6am (even on vacation)

4. Realises that cruise ship swimming is not the best but does provide a break for the gym (if prepared to spend more time turning than actually swimming) but hoped someone was going to say that Millennium has a pool like Diamond Princess where you can swim on the spot against a current

5. Really grateful for all your comments

Thank you

So the OP is...

1. Female

2. Fairly serious swimmer (swam for a club until my teens and swims 2 to 3kms once or times a week nowadays)

3. Does get up at 6am (even on vacation)

4. Realises that cruise ship swimming is not the best but does provide a break for the gym (if prepared to spend more time turning than actually swimming) but hoped someone was going to say that Millennium has a pool like Diamond Princess where you can swim on the spot against a current

5. Really grateful for all your comments

Thank you

By the way I assume 'OP' is me??? I rarely post on here except in the roll calls :)

You obviously are not a competitive swimmer or one who take their lap swimming seriously. I believe the OP does. Could be wrong. Could someone who wants to swim a few laps and does just that in the health club they belong to get some kind of workout? Probably-not much but maybe a little something.

The OP, IMHO, does not fit the 10 laps a day swimmer. Think what you want but was trying to give the OP some perspective if he really wanted to swim laps that MEANT something. Otherwise, it is just a few minutes of fun for a novice. But I sure didn't take it that the OP was a novice. Hence, the additional info. So go swim to your hearts content in the miniscule pools on most cruise ships.

I'm sure these points are relative to the op's question:

You started competitive swimming at 9

You quit 10 years ago

Your husband is deceased

You wanted a 75 ft pool

Costs too much

Uses too much water

Uses too much chlorine

Upkeep is expensive

You give diving lessons in your pool

Your dogs use your pool

Your husband was not a swimmer

The person who installed your pool said your times would get better

You were a master swimmer

You are lucky to turn without hitting your head now

You could have said, "I used to swim a lot and the pools are too small for laps."

Now, if the question was, "are you a swimmer and how do you like your pool at home?" Then your answer would have been helpful.

Edited by YubaSutter