Getting on ship tomorrow. HELP! Commissioned cruise

My mom, 8 year old daughter and I are going on explorer of the seas tomorrow and just found out from someone in our hotel that the cruise is "the Irish cruise". I just looked it up and sure enough it is going to be full of Irish celebs and shows. Has anyone else ever had this happen? It says that entertainment is admissions only if you book with group on the website for the cruise. Does that mean that the explorer will not have the normal shows and games? Help! I'm trying not to get upset but I am worried now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You will have all the "normal" stuff that any cruise has...it's just that the "irish group" will have some things you cannot go to....private events. It will not affect you at all!!!

No worries at all. If you didn't know about this in advance, you probably wouldn't give it a second though once you're on the ship!

Edited by cb at sea

I suggest that you wear a lot of green outfits, and say "Luck of the Irish" outloud in the elevators and at mealtime as often as possible.

You might find that it will be your best cruise ever!

David

P.S. I agree with previous posts.....and don't worry unless it is a nudist group.

We had this happen to us In Sept on our Med cruise, we couldn't figure out why so many people had matching shirts and lanyards around their neck. Come to find out there were 2500 people on the ship with a group. They had the pool deck closed one night for a pool party and I know they had different things going on throughout the ship but it did not change the regular shows. I did feel sorry for the entertainers as some nights the theater was almost empty!

We've been on cruises that had larger or smaller groups, and the level of interference with our experience varied from very little to very annoying.

Most recently, conflicts with events for a rather large group caused scheduled events that were listed in the cruise compass to be delayed or displaced. We would show up only to find out that something else was going on in the venue and we'd have to rush, sometimes to the other end of the ship, to where our activity had been relocated.

Also, the one group would get out of their morning activities at the same time every sea day and rush to the main dining room for lunch. The influx of several hundred people there at once was a disaster, so after finding out the hard way the first time, we made sure to get there early for lunch.

On our first cruise on the Jewel about 8 years ago, there was a charter group of LBGT individuals. It was both funny and awkward. Lots of speedos and adjusting. We didn't feel comfortable using the hot tubs (they were always very busy) and overall it was all fun. But I do, now, check before booking cruises to see who/what groups may be on the ship.

I too had a cruise ruined last year by a group of over 1000 who took over the ship, displaced all of us from 1st seating dining, cancelled our scheduled ice show etc.

How can we find out before booking if a large group such as that will be on board? RCCL won't tell.

Last year we were on Liberty with the "Grown and Sexy" group. I was very worried with some of the things I read on the internet but all was fine. We did notice some people with the group who thought they had special privileges because they were with the charter group (using concierge lounge, suite sundeck) but staff was quick to correct them. We met some great people, never lost access to something we wanted to do because of the group, and one night they had a dance party to which they welcomed us warmly. I wouldn't sweat it.

I too had a cruise ruined last year by a group of over 1000 who took over the ship, displaced all of us from 1st seating dining, cancelled our scheduled ice show etc.

How can we find out before booking if a large group such as that will be on board? RCCL won't tell.

Our cruise planner at RCCL told us about the group and offered to help us rebook with no penalty and same rate if we wished.