behind the scenes tour

lovessa

How do you book the tour that goes behind the scenes on the ships? I know there are a limited number of spots available each cruise, but how does one go about it? How early do you have to book?

Thanks!

what is the price? when does it usually take place?

On the Splendor this August and the Breeze over new years it was $95 and was held the last sea day. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

what is the price? when does it usually take place?

When we were on the Imagination it was around $40, on the Miracle it was around $100 if memory serves. Bigger ship = longer tour, as well. We did ours on our only sea day (4 day), I think the others go on the last sea day, but I'm not sure.

We did it on Paradise two weeks ago. It cost $45 a person. We booked it at the Shore Excursion desk as soon as we got on board. Yes, it was open but I've read that if it isn't, you can also buy the tickets at the Guest Services. I would start at Shore Excursions and book as soon as possible. Our tour was sold out by the next day.

The tour was held on the last sea day.

We took this tour on the Valor last fall. Booked it as soon as the excursion desk opened up. We were priority and were on board by 1130. The excursions desk opened about noon, as I recall. As it turned out, they sold the first tour quickly, and added another one that ran about 30 minutes behind ours. The cost was $95. This cruise only had one sea day - - the second day. And as others have mentioned, well worth the money and time (about 3 hours). Yes, you get to see areas of the ship that are otherwise restricted to guests - - galley, laundry facilities, food storage, engine control room, backstage at the theatre, even the bridge. But to us, the best part was seeing the crew in action behind the scenes in "their world". It really makes one appreciate all of the work they do to ensure you have a great cruise. Our tour guide was the HR director on the ship, and she did a wonderful job allowing us to see what really goes on, and explained in great detail what it takes to work on a ship. I think everyone should take this tour at least once.

I've taken the tour on a Fantasy Class and Spirit Class ship. Here are the similarities and differences. I booked both of these about 30 minutes after boarding at the excursions desk as they sell out quickly.

Fantasy Class:

$55

2 hours 45 minutes

Light breakfast offering at meeting point

Visits to galley, theater, laundry room, frozen meat locker, beverage storage, engine control room, I-95 corridor, crew lounge, crew dining, bridge

One group picture with the captain

Spirit Class:

$95

3 hours 30 minutes

Light breakfast offering at meeting point - more offered than Fantasy Class

Visits to galley, theater, laundry room, frozen meat locker, beverage storage, engine control room, I-95 corridor, crew lounge, crew dining, steakhouse, HR office and discussion of crew life, bridge

One group picture with the captain

One individual picture with the captain

One group picture with the chef

ETA:

Spirit Class Tour

FA9.png

Fantasy Class Tour

FEED8137-32B0-4DF4-ACC6-6C6BFF7E76C5.jpg

Edited by Kobayashi

We took this tour on the Valor last fall. Booked it as soon as the excursion desk opened up. We were priority and were on board by 1130. The excursions desk opened about noon, as I recall. As it turned out, they sold the first tour quickly, and added another one that ran about 30 minutes behind ours. The cost was $95. This cruise only had one sea day - - the second day. And as others have mentioned, well worth the money and time (about 3 hours). Yes, you get to see areas of the ship that are otherwise restricted to guests - - galley, laundry facilities, food storage, engine control room, backstage at the theatre, even the bridge. But to us, the best part was seeing the crew in action behind the scenes in "their world". It really makes one appreciate all of the work they do to ensure you have a great cruise. Our tour guide was the HR director on the ship, and she did a wonderful job allowing us to see what really goes on, and explained in great detail what it takes to work on a ship. I think everyone should take this tour at least once.

I always wanted to reply to a post with "what he said." This one is it.

We've been on two, one on the Triumph and one on the Conquest. The captain on the Triumph made the tour, he extended the stay in the bridge by 20 minutes and walked us around to several of the stations, took many questions and was very chatty.

The I-95 corridor was a sight to see.

Have fun!

Edited by BallFour4

I did it on the Fantasy. Difficulty of getting it probably depends on the ship. I decided the morning of the tour to book it. Shore Excursions was closed until after the tour started, and I inquired at guest services and was booked. The description above rings true for me and definitely worth $55.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

I know that my dad would love this tour but he may struggle with the stairs. He has COPD and stairs are very difficult. Does anyone know if you can skip the stair parts and meet the group in another area, or, if a visit to the bridge might be able to be arranged? Thank you in advance for any input you might have.

Worth doing once, I was disappointed they didn't show us the Brig or the Morgue. I guess they were both occupied? We did the tour on the Legend and the chef sent a treat up to our cabin after.

Edited by brendrek

I know that my dad would love this tour but he may struggle with the stairs. He has COPD and stairs are very difficult. Does anyone know if you can skip the stair parts and meet the group in another area, or, if a visit to the bridge might be able to be arranged? Thank you in advance for any input you might have.

There were a LOT of tight stairways, especially in the crew only areas. Very steep, I thought they were like a cross between ladders and stairs at some points. I think he'd miss most of it :(

On our Paradise tour, there weren't that many stairs but some of the stairways we took were pretty steep, particularly going to the engine control room. I guess that's why they don't let people wear skirts on the tour. :) A bigger problem is that you have to be able to stand for 2-3 hours. Talk to someone at the excursion desk when you get on board and see what they say. It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I think it would be difficult for him.

Edited by CruisinCrow

We did this tour a few years ago on the Conquest. We had a hard time keeping up with the guide and we are in fairly good condition. I felt sorry for the older couple who always lagged behind.

There was a lot of stair climbing in narrow areas and walking back and forth across the length of the ship. We enjoyed it. I don't think it would be a good choice for someone with breathing or mobility problems.

Maybe the Shore Excursion Desk can answer your questions. Inquire soon as possible after you board your ship.

Happy cruising.

The 2 of us received a total of 6 pictures - 2 of 3 different pictures. The 3 poses were: the group by the funnel, the group with the Captain, and an individual with the captain. We each received a backpack, a hat, a lanyard, and a soap carving. We did it on the Splendor.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

What most folks don't know, is that below the guest areas, the ship is broken up into watertight compartments (think of the sliding doors in the engine rooms of the Titanic). With the exception of I-95 (the main crew passageway that goes virtually the length of the ship), which is on the "partition deck" or the deck directly above the waterline, you cannot generally get from one area to another without going up to I-95. There are some automatic watertight doors in these areas, but crew are not allowed to open them while the ship is at sea. So, each of the 6-7 watertight compartments are separated, and you would have to go up one or two flights of stairs (called "ladders" in nautical jargon) to the partition deck, and then down the next stairway, which may be only 5 feet away, just to get from say a crew cabin to the very next cabin forward of that cabin.

I know that on some ships, even the various refrigerated/frozen storerooms are divided by watertight doors, and this requires stairs to go from one to the next. The food prep areas and galleys are always above the partition deck for this reason, to allow free access along the ship while at sea, but this means that the food for the day is planned in advance, and taken from provisions once a day, while the ship is still at the dock.

The provisions stores, environmental areas, engine control room, and ship's laundry are all areas that are below the partition deck, and in some cases the crew galley and mess halls. Galley, backstage, and bridge areas would not be hampered by the watertight partitioning.

We just did this tour on the Breeze about 2 weeks ago. It was $95 and 3 1/2 hours long. We booked it at the shore excursions desk. Our tour was at 9am on the second to the last sea day (there were 2 sea days at the end of our itinerary).

Some friends of our decided they wanted to go a few days before and they were sold out.

We booked the first day and I almost thought we wouldn't get to go because I could see that someone had booked a group of 14.