Forward-most OV Grandeur cabin - good? Private?

Hello. We just booked a honeymoon cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas and were assigned an Oceanview cabin -- the forward-most cabin on Deck 2... 2508. We thought it would be private.

It's a 10 night cruise over Easter.

Good choice? Any experience?

Thank you!

And if you know... what's the general probability of getting an upgrade to a balcony stateroom just two months out from a Grandeur of the Seas 10 day cruise over Easter. You seasoned cruisers... I'd love to hear your best guesses. Or any tips?

Edited by Cinderellie

Hello. We just booked a honeymoon cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas and were assigned an Oceanview cabin -- the forward-most cabin on Deck 2... 2508. We thought it would be private.

It's a 10 night cruise over Easter.

Good choice? Any experience?

Thank you!

Congratulations on your nuptials! I have stayed on Deck 2 on Enchantment which I believe is the Grandeur's sister ship. We stayed mid ship and it was very quiet and not much motion detected. I am booked on the Grandeur for April 2016 on Deck 2 in a Panoramic OV cabin mid ship. I think it will be private as the only people down on deck 2 are usually staying or working on deck 2. I think there is a website that allows you to put in ship and cabin number and it will tell you if there are any concerns with the cabin and it's location. Perhaps someone more in the know then myself would be able to post the website address so you can check your cabin number out. Enjoy your honeymoon!

Edited by celestial123

• 4 weeks later...

I was on Enchantment, Grandeur's sister ship, and was in an ocean view cabin on the starboard side at the very end of the hallway. With the exception of a long walk to the elevators, the cabin was fine. I spent a great deal of my life sailing and racing sailboats on the ocean, and have been able to sleep thru some serious motion, so I may not be the best source of information. But I didn't notice any uncomfortable motion.

The one big surprise I had one morning is when the let go of the anchor while I was still in bed. Took a minute to realize what all the noise was.:p

Have a great sail ....and congratulations!!!

We had a forward OV on Grandeur once. We got it for a good price--so we were happy with it.

The only issue we had was that on days we were in port, we were awakened by a sound like the anchor being lowered. [someone told us it was the side thrusters.] We did not know, but it woke us up each day. It was a small annoyance.

I believe the first few cabins (such as yours) have portholes rather than larger windows. Nice being low to the sea, and you won't have noise of passing traffic, nor cabin noise on your forward side.

Nice ship.

Have you actually been in one of these forward cabins on the Grandeur? Because I am telling you it was VERY noisy each morning. It woke me up at each port.

• 2 weeks later...

The cabin that I just booked is on deck 3 (about the 6th or 7th cabin from the end of the hallway Forward). I was more concerned about feeling the motion of the boat :D as opposed to the noise, (not the gentle rocking that is soothing when you sleep). I don't mind the early morning "anchor dropping wake up call", as we like to get up and get moving early.

I'm really excited, it's will be my family's first time on RC and we are looking forward to it. And since it's a Thanksgiving cruise, I don't have to be concerned with eating my mother-in-law's AWFUL cooking. (I don't just say that, the woman can't make mashed potatoes!!) :eek:

Have you actually been in one of these forward cabins on the Grandeur? Because I am telling you it was VERY noisy each morning. It woke me up at each port.

Absolutely true! You'll be jolted awake with the sound and vibration of the thrusters as you come into the ports. Also, if you're anchoring anywhere you'll be enthralled in the early hours by the clanking of the anchor going down. Booked a far forward cabin once - never again!

As for an upgrade. Not much of a chance IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

Normally, I don't post things that might detract a bit from someone's cruise, but I would not want you to be surprised by what you might encounter.

We had cabin 2012 on Enchantment (same design) out of Baltimore in January 2013, just over on the port side. The cabin had two portholes. Yours will, too.

The area was quiet for internal noise. However, we sailed in January. Once the swells were above 6 feet or so (often), it sounded like we were hitting whales. We got used to it eventually, but the sound was persistent in choppy water.

I can't recall the degree of motion; I was in the Navy and got well used to it way back then. It is always more of a possibility at the ends of a ship.

In January 2014, we sailed Grandeur on deck two in an OV further back from the prow. No whales; pleasantly quiet.

Enjoy the cruise; we did - and next January will be our third.

Our experience was similar to nattys. We loved the front ov because it was so secluded and quiet, but when we ran into heavy seas, we really felt it. The noise natty describes fits, we were in 15-20 swells, it was our first cruise, and the noise had us concerned about the ship. The early morning anchor chain at port didn't bother us, but we are early risers.

• 1 month later...

Just back yesterday from our cruise to Bermuda. This room was very quiet and private. The only real noises we heard was when we got back to Baltimore when they were docking. Had to get up to disembark anyway so didn't matter. When we docked in Bermuda, we weren't in our room.