What obstructed ocean view would you pick?

HoopTroop

Hello-we are looking at an obstructed ocean view on the Jewel. Please let me know what one you would choose and or if you stayed in one on the Jewel Class and you did/did not like. Thank you,

HoopTroop

We've been on the Jewel twice, and this last time stayed in a sideways, ocean view obstructed cabin. 8100, which is also a handicapped/accessible cabin, and we could see at least 50-75% of what was outside.

I thought it was great. We were very close to 24/7 eatery midship deck 8, (O'Sheehan's now, was Blue Lagoon and Moderno last year). Also close to deck 7, MDR a couple decks down...only missed the fresh air at night, but a good value overall. YMMV.

Here's a look out our window, and another view from 8096, as well as the way we decided to divide up our cabin for more room, and a view from outside...our room was the second to last on the starboard side (behind the last lifeboat). Hope that helps :)

NCLJewelstarboardexteriornearaftviewofobstructedcabinsdeck8anddeck7promenade.jpg.0516d6bea7f51705d33194e0bc96cba6.jpg

NCL-Jewel-Cabin_8096b.jpg.488ab0ccde547a9ea66f7f11bfa111d7.jpg

NCLJeweldeck8ACsidewayscabin8100bestwaytopositionbedsformostspace.jpg.37aceac1e06cb7b6466c52058ee0bfe3.jpg

NCLJewelobstructedviewnotsobadfrom8100.jpg.d1923d223fdcae1e609cf2ca07aa5c8c.jpg

Check out the cabin reviews. The posters will often let you know how obstructed it is. We had one on the Star and really liked it- two small windows- one almost a full view. Only problem was that there is a walk way right below the windows so we saw a worker almost every day. That taught me to keep the curtains pulled while dressing! Only one worker was "nosy" and stared directly into the windows. I have no hesitation booking these class rooms again.

We have been on the Dawn and is the same Class ship..

We like the Mid Deck 8 - Room 8098..:D

The view is good if you want some light and view of lower promenade!!

It is in between the Life Boats.

The location is good as well, its right in the middle of the hallway and easy to get to from main lobby and main doors to promenade and disembark as well.

Obstructed view cabins are pretty good, you got to try it at least once, you may like them??:confused:

Hello-we are looking at an obstructed ocean view on the Jewel. Please let me know what one you would choose and or if you stayed in one on the Jewel Class and you did/did not like. Thank you,

HoopTroop

I wouldn't choose any. What get a view that's obstructed just to save a couple of bucks? Go wild.....get a full view. :D

We will be staying in this very cabin on the Gem, but did you have the problem with the shower, perhaps flooding the floor and having to use towels to create a barrier? thx

The shower area is no threshold, but instead of just a circular drain there is a pretty cool perimeter drain that brackets the 'zone' on 2 sides, (the other two are the corner/wall). There is a pull down shower chair that holds at least 300 pounds and a hand held shower wand.

You do also have a shower curtain. Some water on the floor, but not as much as you might think. Room steward will furnish extra towels if desired but at no time did we experience any flooding.

There is less counter space with the ADA sink setup, so I just brought the kind of roll up cosmetic (dopp) bag that unfolds so you have plenty of places to stow your toiletries right on the inside door hooks. Here are a few photos to help illustrate.

NCLhandicappedbathroomishugenothreshholdshowerisatrip.jpg.7580f29b0fa80a1f63915b0fdb94ee06.jpg

296540622_NCLJewelcabin8100sidewaysobstructedAC20largerthanothersidewaysobs.greatbath.jpg.378654915069aacc24b59a19926ea80d.jpg

NCLJeweldeck8midshpacobstructedviewaccabinbathroom.jpg.4b0d424b0e1dabbf78da9f08c4291b1c.jpg

Edited by kcfoxy

We've been on the Jewel twice, and this last time stayed in a sideways, ocean view obstructed cabin. 8100, which is also a handicapped/accessible cabin, and we could see at least 50-75% of what was outside.

I thought it was great. We were very close to 24/7 eatery midship deck 8, (O'Sheehan's now, was Blue Lagoon and Moderno last year). Also close to deck 7, MDR a couple decks down...only missed the fresh air at night, but a good value overall. YMMV.

Here's a look out our window, and another view from 8096, as well as the way we decided to divide up our cabin for more room, and a view from outside...our room was the second to last on the starboard side (behind the last lifeboat). Hope that helps :)

We are on the same cruise as you are in April. We are in the sidewise obstructed cabins #8112,8116, and 8118. This is our first time in this catagory. All my research has not gone well, but are these cabins a little larger on the DAWN that the other 8 deck insides. I am having trouble wrapping my head around where the door is and how the bed is situated. Can you help me any at all?

TOM

We are on the same cruise as you are in April. We are in the sidewise obstructed cabins #8112,8116, and 8118. This is our first time in this catagory. All my research has not gone well, but are these cabins a little larger on the DAWN that the other 8 deck insides. I am having trouble wrapping my head around where the door is and how the bed is situated. Can you help me any at all?

TOM

Our AC sideways cabin on NCL Jewel was about 20% larger than the standard. Yours will be about 20' long by 10 ft. wide. Instead of entering a hallway or looking lengthwise into your cabin, the door opens midpoint in your cabin, with bed on one side and bathroom/dressing area on the other. The window is opposite entryway and has a recessed area perfect for toiletries or sitting to catch glimpses of the outside world.

I did not care for the door opening right next to my side of the bed, as anyone could look in...and did. So we had our beds divided up into an L shape, with one along left wall/head against hallway wall and the other alongside the window, which gave a nice L shape.

You will get a nice rocking motion with bed facing aft/forward rather than port/starboard. I will include some snapshots of non-AC and AC sideways cabins for reference, but do not want to detract from OP's original question, though he might find this useful as well :p

NCLJeweldeck8handicappedcabinADAdoorsandthresholdsgrabbarsinWC.jpg.f678e0b361e6ddfdc689b0223fcd6eec.jpg

NCLJewelcabin8100sidewaysACobstructedbutgoodviewanyway.jpg.03174e3e6f5b1f9645a2b841119d80cd.jpg

TOM

I just noticed if you do a Search on NCL forum for sideways+Dawn or even just 8112, there are more than a couple posts recommending you avoid that specific cabin. FYI.

We have been on the Dawn and is the same Class ship..

No, Dawn is not Jewel class ship. Dawn and Star are sisters in Dawn class.

Jewel, Jade, Pearl and Gem are sisters in Jewel class.

We were in 8582 on Gem for the one nighter CTN, then we were in 8094 on Jade and loved it - it's sideways cabin and very handy. We prefer sideways cabins, so will do it again for prices.

Edited by bluesea777

Last year, we sailed on the Jewel and got an obstructed ocean view. It was one of the two closest to the bow, and it was a small life boat that didn't obstruct our view. It was really great.

This year, on the Dawn, all of those type obstructed cabins were either already booked, our they've wised up and aren't offering those cabins as obstructed. So, this year we booked a sideways obstructed on the Dawn, and we really liked it. There were 2 adults and 2 kids (11 year olds),and it was noticable how much more room and how more freely you could move about the room with the door situated between the beds and the bathroon/closet area. It was still small for 4 people, but much better than a standard room.

• 6 months later...

How does this cabin sleep 4?

We booked our upcoming Gem cruise last June, 2014. At that time, there were no obstructed view guarantees. We also did some research here on CC and found that 8566, a sideways obs. view was highly recommended so that is what we booked.

We booked our upcoming Gem cruise last June, 2014. At that time, there were no obstructed view guarantees. We also did some research here on CC and found that 8566, a sideways obs. view was highly recommended so that is what we booked.

I have 4 young adults in 8100 on the Jade next Thanksgiving. (We were bumped from the cancelled Star cruise last week of October 2106.)

It'll be my son & his gf, and my daughter and a friend, while the other 6 in our party will be in a 2br family suite.

Just trying to get some info for them so they know what to expect! Some are saying it's an HA cabin, but we're not HA and were put there?

Help?!