What to pack for Iceland and Greenland.

mcgilldj

We are taking a cruise on Oceania in June. We will be stopping in the Shetland Island, Faroe Island, Iceland, and Greenland. We are from Florida where the June weather is really hot. We know it will be cool on the trip, but many have said it can get quite warm. Warm for us is 85degrees. What should we pack? Thanks for your help.:)

layers & a good rain jacket with a hood, gloves & a hat can come in handy :D

When we did the Shetland Is it was sunny but cool then wet & cold damp & windy ..you can get all in one day

Good waterproof shoes are also good

Second the recommendation for layers, gloves, and a waterproof jacket.

We have been to all of these places a few times, but mostly in August. Temperatures can be all over the map so be prepared. It could be as cold as the low 40s with a chilly wind in Greenland, maybe even the 30s. Iceland is likely to be somewhat more temperate, but may not be much warmer - when we were there this past August it was barely 50 degrees some days. Some parts of Iceland do live up to the name, even in summer!

Faroes and Shetlands have a shot at warmer weather; if you're lucky it could be pushing 70 but plenty of chances for wind, rain, clouds, and cooler weather.

For that type of weather we'd make sure to bring a turtleneck and a sweater, decent thick socks (I like wool hiking socks), and jeans. Throw a waterproof shell over that and you'd probably be good to go. Though of course, some of this will depend on how used to the cold you are...

I just looked at a few old pictures from these stops and we are often wearing light gloves, even in August.

You may luck out and it may be warm and comfortable. But be prepared if it isn't! And if you're taking any kind of boat excursion, dress even more warmly. You can always shed layers if you get too hot. You will be miserable if you're too cold - which is a shame, because these places are gorgeous, and well worth taking the time to see.

Have a great trip!

When we were in Iceland a couple of years ago in early to mid-September, it was cold and windy. I took a North Face she'll jacket, which was barely sufficient,maven with layers underneath. I bought a knit ski cap while walking around Rekjavik. Of course you need a swim suit if you are going to The a Blue a Lagoon, which I highly recommend.

For the record (maybe just to add to the confusion) we did the Faroes, Iceland and the Hebrides on a June 2006 cruise. I remember some rain -- but not REAL cold. (Of course, I should add for the Floridians that I grew up in L.A. but moved to NYC many years ago, so I have become adjusted to colder weather over the years.)

Our day in the Faroes started out very comfortable with lovely weather, but by the afternoon I recall some rain. Not bad rain, but it became overcast and drizzly.

We had a day and a half in Iceland. The first day was gorgeous, the second less so.

We were in New Foundland this past May and had lovely weather there.

Plan for all contingencies!

Mura

Same cruise as Ed & Frank

Definitely prepare for a layer approach. We had one or two days of rain so some rain wear is appropriate. Fly mask in Greenland would be a help.

DSC_0826_zpse7ea9683.jpg

Of course a fashionable hat would be also required.

DSC_0778_zpsc8076f84.jpg