Riedel Comparative Wine Workshop?

soxfan2013

Who's done this?

Do we get to taste/drink any great wines? What drives the price up to $82 person? I presume we don't get take home any glasses?

Can any wine affeciados shed some perspectives on the price/value/experience?

This is basically prices equal to a relatively good bottle wine/person.

Edited by soxfan2013

We did this several years ago on the Summit and will be doing it again next year when we are back on the Summit. You get to try wine in the different shapes of glasses and food as well. It lets you see what difference changing the glass can make to the taste of food. At the end of it you get a set of glasses to take home Definitely worth the money if you enjoy wine

That could fun. I do like Reidel glasses. What type/shape/ and how many did you get (what was the retail value of the glasses)?

Look at Reidels website. I think they address the workshop and glasses you get. They are higher quality than what is available at Target, BB&B and etc.

Drink up 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We did the wine course on the Summit last year and I learned a lot, it is amazing to taste the difference of the same wine when you use two different types of glasses. The set that comes with the tasting is the top of the Riedel line. I make my own wine and since I learned to use the proper type of wine glass, my wine which already tasted great, goes to the next level. The course is excellent.

Our daughter bought the Riedel wine tasting for my wife and I as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. What a nice gift it turned out to be. The workshop is fun and enlightening. Plus the glasses are fantastic. I use them all the time. In addition we didn't want to deal with trying to fly home with the glasses so we were given certificates. Ordered the glasses online and they were shipped directly to our house.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Relaxinginthesun

Does each person that pays/participates get a set of four glasses?

Yep! Each person gets a set of 4 so as a couple you'd have two sets which is really nice. We did this on our first Celebrity cruise in 2010. Since then we only have purchased Riedel glasses. I'm laying in bed finishing off a nice Chardonnay in a Riedel glass right now :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Definitely worthwhile, both the workshop and the stemware! I never cared for Sauvignon Blanc, and was so-so about Pinot Noirs. Then I tried the Riedel Workshop on Silhouette in 2012. Wow...what a difference the Riedel glasses made, even though I had a full set of Orrefors stemware for the various wine types. I've since totally fallen in love with Pinot Noir and really enjoy Sauvignon Blanc. I was drinking my Pinot Noir from a standard Cab/Merlot glass and the few times I tried Sauvignon Blanc it was definitely in the wrong glass and tasted like swill to me.

We did this, just be aware, they called us to do it at 10am in the morning, in Blu, and we were not really up for drinking that time of day, (we soon got into it as I recall!) My dear hubby, had not really seen the point in going to this at all, but we soon found it to be very interesting, and learnt that the shape of a glass really does affect the taste of a wine, we loved the glasses too.

The gift set only contains one of each glass type, i.e. one for White, one for Red, one just for Chardonnay, and one for Burgundy I think, mine are in the cupboard deemed far too special and delicate to actually use!! It was a good way to pass some time and good value for money.

We too hand wash our glasses. then polish with a cloth. For us a small price to pay to enjoy. We have broken 2 glasses over time and have been able to replace them from Macy's here in US when on sale and with coupons for a modest price.

Our tasting happened mid day and they did serve some cheese and crackers and as I recall some shrimp.

Also, with the class we did get a set of 4 and they shipped them to us, so for us there was no packing or extra stuff to carry home.

Edited by shipshape sam

I took the Reidel workshop when I was on the Silhouette two years ago. If you do not want to purchase the glasses then the wine tasting was only $15, but if you like and need the glasses they are a fantastic buy. The glasses are Vinum XL, which is one up from the Vinum series. The cost online is $150 for the set. I use mine all the time without as much as a chip on them, mind you I'm very careful about washing and putting away after use. They are packed very well for travel, I opted to take mine home from the ship and had them on the floor on my flight home. PERFECT!

We too hand wash our glasses. then polish with a cloth. For us a small price to pay to enjoy. We have broken 2 glasses over time and have been able to replace them from Macy's here in US when on sale and with coupons for a modest price.

Our tasting happened mid day and they did serve some cheese and crackers and as I recall some shrimp.

Also, with the class we did get a set of 4 and they shipped them to us, so for us there was no packing or extra stuff to carry home.

We did the wine course on the Summit last year and I learned a lot, it is amazing to taste the difference of the same wine when you use two different types of glasses. The set that comes with the tasting is the top of the Riedel line. I make my own wine and since I learned to use the proper type of wine glass, my wine which already tasted great, goes to the next level. The course is excellent.

No, they are not top of the line. They are nice glasses, but the higher end stemware is $125 + per glass. I haven't kept up with current pricing and lines, but you can not get a set of the top of the line in a $89.00 tasting.

Our problem with Riedel glasses for "everyday" use is that you really do have to hand wash them...the glass is soft (like other good glasses) and easily scuffs in a dishwasher.

plus they are really fragile. if you bump them against the faucet or any thing else while washing they will shatter.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I broke the rim on one removing someone's lipstick. I stopped wearing lipstick.:eek::cool:

Ken

Bahahaha!!!

When we did the session, they served a selection of Mondavi wines. I liked how we tasted each wine from a joker glass (standard restaurant wine glass) before trying in each specific glass. Fascinating to learn the science behind the glassware so the different wine styles hit the correct part of your palate for ultimate taste. Even the length of the stem is important to ensue you lift your head up high enough to exhale the bouquet, which also enhances the enjoyment of taking the wine. Was an awesome experience!!

Note: we are from Australia and for some reason Riedel would not ship our glasses downunder. So we had no choice but to take them with us from the ship. Was a but worried as we had a domestic flight to catch, but our room steward put some string carry handles on our boxes and we took them as carry on without any breakages ...phew!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan