Underwater Camera Recommendation?

Slumdog Millionaire

Looking for something that takes clear underwater pictures without excessive cost. Thank you in advance.

Check over in the Photography board.

You might be asking for something that does't exist - lower cost, good quality - in an underwater camera.

I just picked up a Fuji Finepix XP70 from eBay for $100. Seems to get decent reviews for a low cost camera.

I haven't tried it underwater yet, but to my eye, the normal pictures it take look pretty good - point and shoot quality.

Edited by divot33

Check over in the Photography board.

I just picked up a Fuji Finepix XP70 from eBay for $100..

I actually returned that camera to Costco as my underwater pics were terrible. When I returned it they told me they get a lot of complaints/returns. I hope you have a different experience.

Olympus tough series usually do a great job and I have an older one myself. It was on the fritz, and died while I was on Maui (the reason bought the Fuji). I ended up mailing it back to Olympus and they refurbished for me for $100. I would suggest looking on eBay or even Amazon for an Olympus tough series.

How far underwater do you want, and at what level do you consider the cost excessive?

Our set up would cost you about $300 (it cost us quite a bit more, but the camera price has gone down significantly), so quite inexpensive for a good underwater set up- we know people who have spent many thousands on theirs. We use a Canon S110 and a Polaroid Housing. This allows us to take it up to 40 meters. The camera shoots in RAW which lets us color correct the photos more easily. There is also a flash diffuser, so we can use the flash underwater and we don't HAVE to buy strobes yet, which really up the price.

Being able to shoot in RAW was extremely important to us when looking for a camera

Edited by skittl1321

Good to know, Wagges

I'll be able to give it a test in our pool in a few months (and prior to our cruise).

I liked the Olympus, they are a bit more pricey. I'll keep an eye on eBay.

I had a small Olympus years ago and the screen died on it three times. Twice, it was under warranty, the third time was going to be $100 to fix. I didn't bother.

I'm on my 3rd Olympus tough. (Because I've been buying them a long time). They last about 4 years of hard use (I will snorkel for hours with mine). The first two the seals finally just wore out and my third is having battery issues (holding a charge), but I use the heck out of them and the $250 or so I spend on them every four or five years is insignificant compared to all the awesome underwater photos and videos that I have taken!

I'm ready for a new one for our next trip. The photos cannot be beat for a point and shoot that can lay in the sun/sand/snow/water, etc. I don't even use a carry case for it anymore. Just toss it into my beach bag.

The one thing I do own that I would recommend is a camera "life Jacket". Mine is a little orange foam strap that attaches to the camera. It is small enough to let me dive down with it, but if it would fall off my wrist, it will float to the top of the water and be easy to spot.

Looking for something that takes clear underwater pictures without excessive cost. Thank you in advance.

Slumdog,

I was in the same position as you are now. Getting ready for our next cruise, and I wanted to get an underwater camera. After a lot of research, I settled on the Olympus TG-820. It was about $230-240 on Amazon. Have not used it underwater yet, (cruise is in March), but as a regular point and shot, the pics look great.

One thing I do remember reading many times in my research is underwater cameras are not cheap.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Craig

I have had several "waterproof" cameras, with mixe success. My first Olympus and first Fuji WP cameras both leakes after a couple of uses. I recently got a great deal on a TG830. I am very impressed with it, and unlike all the others I have owned and/or studied, it has double seals on the access doors. Canon D20 is another good choice, either should be available on line for less than $$200.

Go Pro is also a good choice, but has its drawbacks as limited adjustability, poor low light, and difficulty in aiming due to small or no viewfinder.

INTOVA also offers some low-cost digital cameras with underwater housings, under $100. I have one, and have got some great shots and video.

I have had several "waterproof" cameras, with mixe success. My first Olympus and first Fuji WP cameras both leakes after a couple of uses. I recently got a great deal on a TG830. I am very impressed with it, and unlike all the others I have owned and/or studied, it has double seals on the access doors. Canon D20 is another good choice, either should be available on line for less than $$200.

Go Pro is also a good choice, but has its drawbacks as limited adjustability, poor low light, and difficulty in aiming due to small or no viewfinder.

INTOVA also offers some low-cost digital cameras with underwater housings, under $100. I have one, and have got some great shots and video.

Take a look at the GoPro HERO4 Silver. They have improved its low light capabilities, increased his shutter rates at higher resolutions and it has an LCD screen on the back so you can frame your shots. Otherwise, the LCD back panel is available for the HERO3, 3+ and 4 Black.

These really are remarkable little cameras.

I had a fuji underwater camera and it was pure garbage - my cell phone takes better pictures.

If you want good clear photos underwater, you need to get a camera with good Low-Light capability and then you need to adjust color adding red back in post production or a red filter on the camera when taking the photos IF you are deeper than 5'. Red light is the first color lost, so photos look blue-green. The deeper you go, the more colors that are lost... red first, they orange, then yellow.

I would not spend less than $300 to get decent photos if you are going deeper than 30'.

There are some good cameras with housings for sale for $200-400 range. They are still shot cameras with a video option and those have improved greatly over the past 4 years. You can use the camera topside for your trip too, just take it out of the housing. Not a bad deal, IMHO. The FujiFilm XP70 is $200 on BHPhoto, and is good down to 30' deep, if you are snorkeling.

GoPros are great, but not right out of the box. You need a red filter AND you need to adjust color post-production. You need to buy the back mounted monitor or you cannot see what you are shooting. The you need to buy an extra battery and charger as that monitor sucks the battery fast... you can get 20 to 30 minutes max on a battery with that. I know, I have one and use it.

I have videos on my website using a GoPro. I love it, it is compact. Not as good a quality as my big underwater video rig, but that one cost me $2000+. My GoPro rig cost me around $600 total and is 1/10 the size for travel. No brainer for me. But then, I am an underwater video/photo junkie and a scuba diver.

robin

Edited by ABQrobin

icon1.gifCanon D20

Canon(directly from their site) now has the D20 on sale for $169. Probably phasing it out due to the D30 now available. I loved my D10 for 5 years but it finally died. Just got my D20 and have not used it yet. Some people complained about it leaking (others say not) so we bought a 3 year protection and still came out cheaper than the normal or Amazon price for the camera. Hope this helps----Susan

I just got my new Olympus TG-850 this week for $199. This will replace my 5 year old Olympus Tough camera. The old camera still works great but it was time to upgrade before our March Cruise.

It is interesting to notice that my old model had a cover over the lens when turned off and the new model does not have a cover. The flip up screen for selfies was a huge selling point on the TG-850.

I just got my new Olympus TG-850 this week for $199. This will replace my 5 year old Olympus Tough camera. The old camera still works great but it was time to upgrade before our March Cruise.

It is interesting to notice that my old model had a cover over the lens when turned off and the new model does not have a cover. The flip up screen for selfies was a huge selling point on the TG-850.

Where did you find the camera at that price?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

With any underwater camera it is only a matter of time before it will flood/leak. It isn't if, it is when. This goes for underwater cameras or underwater camera housings.

We never open any of our cameras while out in the field and always soak them for an hour in fresh water when we return.

That said, some are obviously better than others. We have had four different underwater cameras.

Canon D10 - This camera had constant issues where the lens would get stuck (lens error message). We sent it back for warranty repair once. Then when it happened to the warranty repaired camera we learned that if it happened again, you could just drop the camera or smack it real hard and the lens would come unstuck. If finally flooded in Belize while on a snorkel excursion. We were able to file a homeowners insurance claim on it as we had it on a separate Inland Marine rider to our policy.

It did take pretty good photos, but the lens error and flooding will mean we won't buy the D20.

Olympus TG610 - This has to be the worst camera to date. Photos were okay, but it flooded far faster than the Canon D10. At some point the front metal part of the camera dented. I don't know how and it certainly didn't get hard use. It failed outside of the two year extended warranty that we had purchased for it.

Fugifilm FinePix XP200 - We have only used this camera a couple of times, so it is hard to fully review as to how well it will hold up.

GoPro Hero 3+ Black - When you buy this camera you do have to buy several add ons. You don't need filters for just snorkeling. Though if you are diving down lower than 10 feet they may help. But for surface snorkeling you don't need them. We bought them and don't use them as they alter the color of the photo/video. You will however need some way to mount the camera. We use a GoPole which works great for snorkeling. It allows you to get the camera down near the fish and coral without having to dive down. An additional battery is also a great buy as the batteries don't last all that long. Though I think the Hero 4 is better than the 3+.

The GoPro really isn't a camera you would use for just taking photos at the beach or in the water. It is an action camera. You don't need the LCD Touch BacPac, you won't be able to see it well enough under water and it only sucks battery life. Don't bother with it. Just shoot ample footage. It takes great photos in and out of the water. The video is fantastic. You aren't pointing and shooting with a shutter button with this camera. You set it up to take photos at a timed interval, and then just aim.

Where did you find the camera at that price?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

I got it online at Crutchfield. The TG-850 normally sells for $249 but Olympus ran a promotion last week and several retailers had it for sale for $199.

Edited by lbrandon

I have 2 Olympus Tough cameras and love both of them. They take awesome underwater pictures and land pictures. They have some pretty neat settings on them as well (one being a setting that has tilt shift that I love). Before that I had 2 of the Canon D10's and loved them, however, as others mentioned, there's the problem with the shutter getting stuck and I did find that after several years, the quality of the pictures decreased.

My issue with the Olympus TG series cameras is that there is a sliding lens cover, at least in the one I had. That is very susceptible to sand getting in it and gumming things up.

Neither one of my Olympus cameras have a sliding cover. (620 & 830)

My TG830 does not have a sliding lens cover.

Neither one of my Olympus cameras have a sliding cover. (620 & 830)

That is good to know. Looking at some of the photos of the 610 online now, it doesn't look like it had a sliding cover now. Perhaps they realized that it was not a good design and removed it.

My TG-850 that I got last week doesn't have the sliding lens cover. They must not be putting it on the newer models. My old Stylus Tough 6000 had a lens cover. I never had a problem with it. When rinsing the camera I would always turn it on and off a few times in clean water to make sure I got any dirt and sand out.