Best restaurant for anniversary dinner on Dawn

jasbo49

I'd like to take my wife to dinner at one of the specialty restaurants on the Dawn next week as we celebrate our 36th anniversary a week late. I'm hoping some of you can recommend where to go. We've been on 10 cruises, but never been to an extra-charge restaurant, so this will be special in that way too.

The group scene of a teppanyaki restaurant doesn't seem to work, and I haven't read great things about that place anyway. I'm mostly looking at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina. The French place, Le Bistro, kind of sounds like a natural for an anniversary dinner, but I've read that the LB on the Dawn is in the interior of the ship with no windows and not as nice as some others in the fleet.

So Cagney's seems like the leader at this point, but I'm wondering what others think, particularly (but not solely) those who have been on the Dawn. Is La Cucina to be considered? We both love Italian. Is Le Bistro a winner despite being buried in the bowels of the ship? Should we consider Bamboo? We love Asian, too.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

No on La Cucina. Many more families with small children will choose that venue and I'm thinking you're looking for ambiance. If you choose Cagney's maybe tell the hostess the day before you eat there that it's your anniversary and request a table overlooking the pool - you can see the water from there. My vote would be for LeBistro. Yes, it's all inside. If you want to hear the music from Gatsby's bar - piano music, you could request a seat in "the wine room" - right inside and to the right. Not used much. My SO and I sat in there last summer and we were the only couple.

If you go to NCL and look at the Dawn restaurants, sample menus are posted for the restaurants if you didn't know that.

Enjoy your night and be sure to tell the staff you're celebrating your anniversary.

We did all of the above mentioned on our recent Dawn cruise. All were good but Le Bistro stood out in service and food. Don't let the fact that there are no windows deter you. I have found that even when seated at a window, at night, looking out at a black ocean, there isn't much to see. The experience that we had at Le Bistro, even with our three young kids with us, was worth every penny.

I vote for Le Bistro on the Dawn as well. I have to say that the ambiance in the Le Bistro is much better than Cagney's IMHO. Although enclosed it is a very quiet and beautiful place to have a wonderful meal. My husband and I chose Cagney's for our anniversary dinner on the Gem and although the meal was fantastic I still enjoyed Le Bistro on the Dawn better. Whatever you choose have a great cruise and even better anniversary dinner:)

Le Bistro..no question! We love he fact that the restaurant is windowless. We feel wrapped in a cozy atmosphere with low lighting, fabulous food and great service. The Le Bistro set up on the Dawn is our favorite restaurant of any across the fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was on the Dawn in October for my honeymoon. Wanted a nice meal in a nice atmosphere. We were torn between a few, but ended up going with Le Bistro. Absolutely awesome experience. If you're looking for a quiet romantic spot, go with Le Bistro. Food is great too :D:D

I am traveling on the Dawn in October for my Anniversary with my DH and you all have me ready to book a meal at Le Bistro, and we have never eaten in a specialty restaurant on a cruise before!

You are in for a treat. Let'em know it's your anniversary.

A vote here for Cagney's. We celebrated our anniversary there last October. :) For me, it's the "big city steakhouse" feel that I like. And be sure to mention when you're making the reservation that it's your anniversary - they'll do something special to help you celebrate!

Wow. First dissenting vote. That's great, because I expected some suggestions for Cagney's. However I have now made reservations for Le Bistro. If we decide to splurge on another specialty restaurant, it probably will be Cagney's.

Jim

Wow. First dissenting vote. That's great, because I expected some suggestions for Cagney's. However I have now made reservations for Le Bistro. If we decide to splurge on another specialty restaurant, it probably will be Cagney's.

Jim

Cagney's isn't a bad place. They did squelch the menu a year or so ago and it isn't what it was.

Interestingly, Moderno, which I equated to a restaurant for people on the Adkins Diet, is a fine experience.

Cagneys is not bad.

But - it is a steakhouse - not exactly something different.

Even in Cagneys, it will be dark outside, so windows are not an issue.

Le Bistro has a different menu, and much quieter.

Walk by both your first day and check out the menu before you decide.

Le Bistro would be my choice.

Jim

Our experience at Cagneys (on various ships) has been about 50/50. We even skipped it a couple times based on not very good experience. We had a good dinner at Cagneys on the Dawn then our next trip was on the BA and it was a bust.

Le Bistro is very nice (and the windows don't matter at night), but just don't let them stick you outside on the "patio." Fine if you want to be basically sitting where the piano lounge meets one of the busiest hallways on the ship, but not at all the ambiance of the interior of the restaurant.

Shouldn't be a problem except at the most peak hours.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first time on the Dawn, leaving on the 15th, so I can't compare to the other restaurants. However, I have been to the Brazilian style restaurants before and really like them. At only $20 this is a huge bargain. I don't know if you could find a Brazilian restaurant for under $35 anywhere in the US. I'm a huge carnivore so if the meat isn't the best of the best I'll be OK. Anyway, is it worth the $20 charge?

I'd like to take my wife to dinner at one of the specialty restaurants on the Dawn next week as we celebrate our 36th anniversary a week late. I'm hoping some of you can recommend where to go. We've been on 10 cruises, but never been to an extra-charge restaurant, so this will be special in that way too.

The group scene of a teppanyaki restaurant doesn't seem to work, and I haven't read great things about that place anyway. I'm mostly looking at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina. The French place, Le Bistro, kind of sounds like a natural for an anniversary dinner, but I've read that the LB on the Dawn is in the interior of the ship with no windows and not as nice as some others in the fleet.

So Cagney's seems like the leader at this point, but I'm wondering what others think, particularly (but not solely) those who have been on the Dawn. Is La Cucina to be considered? We both love Italian. Is Le Bistro a winner despite being buried in the bowels of the ship? Should we consider Bamboo? We love Asian, too.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim, by now you have cruised and should be back home, but for others here is my idea: only my opinion though, others might feel differently.

Normally I would say Le Bistro, but on the Dawn, it is small and very crowded, not at all romantic. I think I would do the Asian restaurant. Cagney's would be my second choice, but it can be a little crowded. Both Cagney's and Le Bistro have tables so close together you can visit with the people at the next table without talking in a voice higher than a whisper. At least Cagney's is on a top deck.

Wow, I guess we just had a bad experience with Le Bistro on our Dawn cruise last spring. We normally put Le Bistro at the top of our list, like most of you.

Hope you had a great vacation and anniversary.

Edited by newmexicoNita

This is my first time on the Dawn, leaving on the 15th, so I can't compare to the other restaurants. However, I have been to the Brazilian style restaurants before and really like them. At only $20 this is a huge bargain. I don't know if you could find a Brazilian restaurant for under $35 anywhere in the US. I'm a huge carnivore so if the meat isn't the best of the best I'll be OK. Anyway, is it worth the $20 charge?

The salad bar is worth the charge. The meats on a stick are just a bonus.