Just back from our Emerald Princess Jan 11th cruise

fox02554

I want to say you board on 7 but not 100% sure , passengers service desk is on 6 just ask any of the representative and they can get you the sign up sheet ( The ONLY way it's offered ! ) we did the last sea day and only found out about a hour ahead of time :eek: ( so check you " mail " box often that morning , our tour started at 8:15

Goodies …… one of the wonderful HEAVY terrycloth robes ( sell in shop for $90 ) Nice picture frames ( hubby & I each did tour so went to photo and had them switch one frame out for 8X10 for formal picture ) 5x7 personalized note pad , princess kitchen apron and a packet of 6 photo's taken on the tour , cocktail 1/2 way threw and drink & appies at the end. I don't think they planned on us spending hour on the bridge ;) and the ship's mate doing the tour said he had never seen Porpoise in the 3 weeks he had been on board

Thanks Dee, for the information. I really hope we get to do this. Spending the night in Kemah so should be at the port early and in line. 1st time sailing Princess so no special perks like early boarding so we have to take our chances. What time did you board? did you have a suite or elite or platinum status? Just wondering what are chances are:confused:

Dee, it was great to meet you on board. I knew you were on the Lamanai excursion, so as the sign in sheet came around, I took a peek at all the names looking for yours! We were the first to sign up for the UST. They didn't even have the sign in sheet yet. We boarded a little bit before noon. Our letter was delivered to our stateroom during dinner the night before. I promise I will get those photos to you. I need to process them first because they are all in RAW. Do you want my Lamanai pictures and the UST photos? I'm glad I tucked my camera in my wallet for the UST tour. My friends got some pictures of the galley during their galley tour. Wish we could have taken some pictures of those displays they had out. But, I'm super glad that that the captain said we could take pictures on the bridge, and that I was prepared! Sadly, I didn't get any good ones of the dolphins. Just a couple of the splashes they left behind and one grey smear.

My husband used his coffee card from the last cruise. He doesn't do the brewed coffee though, so he just took a punch for all his lattes. Finally finished it up this cruise.

We, too, were disappointed in having to change out Roatan for Costa Maya, but what else can you do? At least we finally got to Belize after missing that one last year. It took us two trips to do this itinerary, but we finally made it. I recommend to anyone taking a trip out of Houston to research possible alternate stops. I think if I had researched Costa Maya in advance, we would have done something different there. We were not terribly impressed with the Uvero Beach.

We enjoyed the food and service as well. So much better than the CB last January (which wasn't bad considering they were battling Norovirus). I'm starving myself now to try and fit back into my clothes after all the food we ate. We didn't even do any of the specialty dining rooms. Only a couple things on the menu were "meh". (The key lime pie we renamed to "key limeless".) I didn't even miss that I forgot my little bag of spice to help spice up bland food. We did sign up for the chef's dinner, but apparently, we weren't lucky enough to be selected for that. We weren't enthralled by the singers and dancers (good voices, but they didn't blend well all the time), but we really liked the comedian, the musician, and the illusionist.

All in all, it was quite an enjoyable trip. I am not overly fond of the Sunday-Sunday dates. I needed another day off work to recover by the time I got home Sunday evening. I was pretty worthless at work on Monday!

Oh, a couple notes on embarkation and debarkation. We got to board early because the ship was ready earlier. That was nice. And they moved everyone off that ship for debarkation. Everyone was through customs by 10:20am. I know because I left our snorkel gear under our bed. We realized it in line for customs, so we pulled out to deal with that. They said it would be better for us to get it on the ship side of customs. They found the gear and were working on getting it out to us when the line was about done. They made us go through customs, so we were among the last people to go through. As the customs agent was sending us through she radioed to someone that customs was closing and it was a record time for them. It was a seriously efficient operation.

Thanks for your review. We are loyal HAL cruisers (except once on princess years ago) but are looking forward to joining friends on the Emerald Princess. In all of my princess browsing, it seems the Emerald gets very little chatter compared to some of the other Princess ships so your review was much appreciated! Do you recall if there are any rooms with tables for playing games on the Emerald?

Any other tips you have for a PCL newbie would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, what is a coffee card? I drink espresso- is that only in the International Cafe? Can I just charge it to my room card or do I need to have a coffee card? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the UST? Thanks!

Specifically, what is a coffee card? I drink espresso- is that only in the International Cafe? Can I just charge it to my room card or do I need to have a coffee card? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the UST? Thanks!

Coffee card: $33 to purchase on board or $31 if pre-purchased. It has 15 "punches" which can be used for espressos, etc. PLUS unlimited brewed coffee, chocolate, specialty teas. Also, gelato (if available). The punches are good until you use them up, the unlimited brewed ends when your cruise ends.

You can also just charge to your room card.

Haven't done the UST, but I believe it is $150pp which includes some pictures, canapes and drinks, a "fluffy" bathrobe and stationary (there might be more). Some say the swag is worth more than the $150.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Thanks Dee, for the information. I really hope we get to do this. Spending the night in Kemah so should be at the port early and in line. 1st time sailing Princess so no special perks like early boarding so we have to take our chances. What time did you board? did you have a suite or elite or platinum status? Just wondering what are chances are:confused:

We don't have any special perks (yet) with Princess. About a week before our cruise, we received a notice from Princess saying our boarding time for our December sailing on the Emerald was between noon and 1pm. These boarding times are "recommended" and they don't check to see if you are boarding at the "recommended" time. So, if you want to come early, nobody is going to give you a hard time.

Having said that, it was pretty crowded when we arrived at the port around noon. There was a line out the door of people waiting to be processed to board, but they did a good job of moving the line along. It probably took us 45 - 50 minutes from the time we got to the back of the line until we walked onto the ship.

Edited by GradUT

T Do you recall if there are any rooms with tables for playing games on the Emerald?

We were on the Emerald in December. One of our favorite places to play games was either inside the Explorers Lounge or at the tables just outside the Lounge.

Did the cruise b4 u come in late or have a custom delay. I am asking in reference to the delay in your transfer?

Flying in Sunday 6a.m. for same cruise have princess air and transfer, so curious? They have given us a option to go to the hotel and wait rather than the airport, said our transfer will be there about 10am, of course they have to wait to fill the bus. Any input on what u experienced or heard from others?

No the issue with our transfer was our busses went to airport by mistake so we had to wait for the busses that were scheduled to do the airport :(

Thanks for your review. We are loyal HAL cruisers (except once on princess years ago) but are looking forward to joining friends on the Emerald Princess. In all of my princess browsing, it seems the Emerald gets very little chatter compared to some of the other Princess ships so your review was much appreciated! Do you recall if there are any rooms with tables for playing games on the Emerald?

Any other tips you have for a PCL newbie would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, what is a coffee card? I drink espresso- is that only in the International Cafe? Can I just charge it to my room card or do I need to have a coffee card? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the UST? Thanks!

Yes Lots of tables everywhere , saw people playing games in the plaza , in many of the bars/ night clubs during the day. they even have some games to check out in the library too

coffee card was $33 ( ?? ) can be used for espresso , lattes , iced drinks at international cafe & in dining room for after dinner :eek: didn't find this out until last night or I might of had to start punching on hubby's card ,

UST was $150 and worth EVERY penny . of all we did , thats the tour that comes up most often in conversation

Go to PAX services desk as soon as you board to get your name on the list. If you are chosen it will be added to your folio. If you don't have OBC to pay for it, it will go on the credit card you registered.

we got our invite the morning of , about 7 am , tour started at 8:15 , was almost 1 pm when we finished up , advertised for 2:15

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is UST? I assume it is a tour of some part of the ship (maybe the bridge?)

:D yes , " ultimate Ships Tour " Bridge , engine room , Galleys , food prep & storage, medical , back stage productions , printing , photo … very cool if you want to know how it works , what makes it " goes "

Good review, fox02554. I'd like to ask who is the current Cruise Director? What bands were playing in the lounges?

Thanks

According to a list in other sections of CC, Lee Childers is listed as the CD starting Jan 25th or Feb. 1-I guess it depends on the list you see first.

:D yes , " ultimate Ships Tour " Bridge , engine room , Galleys , food prep & storage, medical , back stage productions , printing , photo … very cool if you want to know how it works , what makes it " goes "

I had heard that the engine room was not included. Can anyone confirm that it IS included? My husband does not want to do the tour if he can't visit the engine room. :) He's kind of geeky like that!

I had heard that the engine room was not included. Can anyone confirm that it IS included? My husband does not want to do the tour if he can't visit the engine room. :) He's kind of geeky like that!

The engine room is not included. The control room for the engines is included.

No not the " engine " but the control center , he talked about fuel , water purification , generators , Geeky would LOVE it , My Geeky husband did . that and he enjoyed the logistics of food prep and storage ,

No not the " engine " but the control center , he talked about fuel , water purification , generators , Geeky would LOVE it , My Geeky husband did . that and he enjoyed the logistics of food prep and storage ,

Thanks!!!