Cabin #6669 - Jinxed?????

We were scheduled to be on the Explorer of the Seas for a 9-day cruise starting last week. Our flight from Buffalo was cancelled at the last minute and we could not make it to the port on time. We missed the cruise and are now fighting with our insurance company for payment.

My wife swears that the reason that all this happened was that we were assigned cabin #6669 (with the first three 6's being the operative).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?-Jiim

20 degrees and sunny today in Buffalo

I have no idea about the cabin, but here are what some other famous people have to say on the subject...

Superstition is to religion what astrology is to astronomy the mad daughter of a wise

mother. These daughters have too long dominated the earth.

--Voltaire

Superstition is the religion of feeble minds.

--Edmund Burke

We were scheduled to be on the Explorer of the Seas for a 9-day cruise starting last week. Our flight from Buffalo was cancelled at the last minute and we could not make it to the port on time. We missed the cruise and are now fighting with our insurance company for payment.

My wife swears that the reason that all this happened was that we were assigned cabin #6669 (with the first three 6's being the operative).

I'll let you know in September when we have that cabin # on the Liberty. Unless I change the cabin between now and then. :p

Gwen :)

I think the first stop was Labadee, really don't think it would have been very convenient to get a flight to Cap Hatien. The next port of call was Bonaire well into the cruise.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I guess I am used to port intensive cruises...

We were just in #6666 on Disney Dream and it all went just fine (and a terrific room, for the record), so I don't think it's the cabin number.

January, Newark, seemingly flying in the same day as embarkation...those are likely the issues, not superstition about a number.

Cabin jinxed??? Doubt it...

Poor planning thinking nothing could go wrong leaving, and not flying out a day early, from Buffalo in January... more likely. :rolleyes:

Why be so negative and rude?!?!?! I have read so many replies lately that are filled with nothing but negative and or rude comments that are irrelevant to the OPs question...I guess I should add even if they are relevant replies there is NO REASON to be RUDE or NEGATIVE

Do you know for a fact that they were flying in day of? I didn't read that anywhere in OPs posting. It is possible they were flying in the night before and still couldnt find another flight.

• 1 month later...

This was our 30th cruise and we have typically flown out the day of the cruise and had no problems. The weather in January in Buffalo this year was actually better than we have had for the past 4 weeks since we have had 90 inches of snow, only 2 days where the temperature has gone over 32 degrees and an average temperature for the month of March of only 13.5 degrees (F). The day that the flight was cancelled the forecast was for only 1/2 inch of snow and temps about 20 degrees.

We were only told that the flight was cancelled, the airline never said the exact reason. Our flight was the only one cancelled by that airline to Orlando that day. We did try to get another flight but they were all booked up and with the cancellation of our flight, they were trying to book everyone as soon as possible but could not accommodate us. It is possible that the flight was cancelled for mechanical or other reasons but we will probably never know.

We filed a claim with Allianz Global Assistance (our insurance carrier) and they were supposed to give us an answer within 10 business days. After 20 days waiting, they replied but only to ask us for more info and documentation. That was sent in 10 days ago and still no answer. Their online claim status is still showing that the case is under review.

We did look into catching up with the ship. The first stop was at Labadee, Haiti on the third day. Since this is a private island we could not get on there. The next available stop was in Aruba on the fifth day of the nine day cruise. The person we talked to at Allianz told us that we should only try to catch the cruise if it would allow us to make at least 50% of the trip. This would have been less than that.

Additionally, due to the logistics of flying from Buffalo to Aruba, the arrival time of the flight would require us to fly in at least one day in advance, book an overnight stay at a hotel and then meet the ship the next day. The total cost of this would have exceeded the entire cost of the cruise. Along with the 50% rule, we thought that mitigating the cost for travel to Aruba was the probably what the insurance company would prefer. (I. E. the cost of getting us to Aruba to make less than 50% of the cruise would be more than refunding the total trip that we insured.)

LESSSON LEARNED: Ask as many questions about your travel insurance before you buy it. It all sounds good when you read the policy but you never know what you have until you try to file a claim for it.

Today in Buffalo 4 degrees (F) with wind chill of -20.

LESSSON LEARNED: Ask as many questions about your travel insurance before you buy it. It all sounds good when you read the policy but you never know what you have until you try to file a claim for it.

I wouldn't do that, I would read the terms and conditions. Someone on the phone might be a dummy.

If your flight was delayed, they usually require a certain amount of hours before they pay. For example your flight must be delayed by at least 6 hours for coverage to be provided (it varies among policies). This prevents people from making dumb travel arrangements.

Your flight was cancelled. Maybe they are just trying to determine cancellation vs interruption. Who knows who is processing your claim. It could be a dummy!

I think they will pay you as it was completely cancelled, not just delayed.

Unless everyone on the plane was scheduled to stay in a hotel room 666X, , I'd say it is just a coincidence. Winter travel can be tricky.

I am sorry you missed the cruise and hope you get the issues straightened out.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1