I thought I heard everything

david_sobe

Well since we're airing our secret pet peeves about NCL ...

On our last cruise I woke up the first morning and commented to my DW how I felt the bed was too hard. She felt it was too soft. Solution we switched sides the 2nd night. Can you believe that we woke up with the same problem!! What I can understand is the strange looks I'd get when trying to explain the issue ;)

SeaShark : I tend to agree with most of your posts, and almost agree with the above comment.

BUT - many times a review includes erroneous information (vs opinion) and it would be good if folks could reply and clear it up.

I understand your point. I was suggesting that a person doesn't HAVE to directly correct other people...simply post the factual information in their own review.

When enough reviews contain the truth, those who "embellish" will stand out like a butler lover.

We'd most likely end up with more reviews if people didn't feel like they had to defend their opinions all the time.

Not to get off topic but my dd just took the 9-1-1 dispatcher test for NYC. She is 21 and in her last year of college. Does your dd like the job?

Not the person you asked, but a 911 dispatcher nonetheless. I started at 24 (but had just graduated) and am from NY (though not the city), so feel free to message me if you'd like. I don't want to answer beyond that here so as not to derail the thread.

*edit* Ooops, apparently there aren't private messages here? Must have changed or I'd just forgotten about that. At any rate, to keep it quick - I love my job. It's challenging, rewarding and different every day. It definitely takes a certain kind of person to be able to do it though, and an even more rare type of person to be able to do it well.

And to get back on topic - this post is hilarious! I've heard so many silly complaints over the years but of course now my mind is completely blank. I swear though, there are some people who cruise just so they can complain about it. I always wonder why they waste their money on something they seem so unhappy with. (Not that a cruise is a waste, just it seems to be for them).

Edited by Bethwte

I get a chuckle with cruise reviews that are overly dramatic with small or trivial things that makes them give negative reviews.

No lobster night, room service not saying hello, someone did not smile, or there was nothing to eat the entire cruise. But today in the Getaway reviews there is something new. The carpet around the ship did not have enough cushion. It was so bad they were forced to wear tennis shoes because the carpet was too hard.

Hmmm, vacations do make you walk a lot in port and all over the ship. How in the world does carpet cushion on the ship come into the equation? Even if you have health issues or have trouble walking, the waterfront or other areas are not carpeted. How could the carpet cushion ruin your cruise? What next? The water in the pool gets you wet :eek:

So it is official, I have heard of everything :eek:[/quote

"So Let Me Take You on a Magic Carpet Ride." Steppenwolf

Review of the Sun from a few weeks ago.....

This was not our first cruise, but our first on Norwegian. We chose the Sun because we have been on the mega ships and wanted to try a smaller ship.

The destinations were disappointing. We are not ones to book excursions as we prefer to venture to a beach for the day and experience local dining. Roatan, Honduras my wife was so uncomfortable we didnt leave the port, there was no beach in sight and the people hanging out at the port seemed to be gangsters. Belze City, again no beaches in sight. We ventured out of the port but returned within an hour. Costa Maya, Mexico is nothing more than a dock with a small shopping area and a pool. We rented a golf cart that died within an hour, luckly a very nice gentleman took use back to the port. Still no beach to be had unless you paid fees with a local bar. What we did see on the cart was just dirt road and no access to the water unless it was through stinky rotting seaweed. Cozumel Mexico is another port without a beach unless you take a 30 minute cab ride to pay admission to a beach club and forced to buy food and drinks.

The food was not good. My wife got a stomach ache each night we tried the main dining room. The buffet was clearly leftovers and even served the exact same food at least 3 days in a row! The selection on the buffet didnt change except for a meat.

We are very disappointed with our experience on the Norwegian Sun!

Just a little bit of research on the cruisers end would have helped. Forced to buy food and drinks in Cozumel:rolleyes:

Edited by Laszlo

Review of the Sun from a few weeks ago.....

This was not our first cruise, but our first on Norwegian. We chose the Sun because we have been on the mega ships and wanted to try a smaller ship.

The destinations were disappointing. We are not ones to book excursions as we prefer to venture to a beach for the day and experience local dining. Roatan, Honduras my wife was so uncomfortable we didnt leave the port, there was no beach in sight and the people hanging out at the port seemed to be gangsters. Belze City, again no beaches in sight. We ventured out of the port but returned within an hour. Costa Maya, Mexico is nothing more than a dock with a small shopping area and a pool. We rented a golf cart that died within an hour, luckly a very nice gentleman took use back to the port. Still no beach to be had unless you paid fees with a local bar. What we did see on the cart was just dirt road and no access to the water unless it was through stinky rotting seaweed. Cozumel Mexico is another port without a beach unless you take a 30 minute cab ride to pay admission to a beach club and forced to buy food and drinks.

The food was not good. My wife got a stomach ache each night we tried the main dining room. The buffet was clearly leftovers and even served the exact same food at least 3 days in a row! The selection on the buffet didnt change except for a meat.

We are very disappointed with our experience on the Norwegian Sun!

Just a little bit of research on the cruisers end would have helped. Forced to buy food and drinks in Cozumel:rolleyes:

I was just reading this review. They gave the entire cruise a 1* because none of the ports had beaches that they could walk to from the port dock.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah he should have definitely read up on those ports before booking that cruise haha. And his poor delicate bellied wife!! I'm surprised she could even go outside in the sun. Such a fragile flower!! I pray they never go to Mazatlan. Haha.

Not to get off topic but my dd just took the 9-1-1 dispatcher test for NYC. She is 21 and in her last year of college. Does your dd like the job?

As stated previously, I'm also a 9-1-1 dispatcher. Started at 20 and am now 33. The job is challenging every day and keeps my brain young =) It does take a certain type of person and a type A personality is helpful. Good luck to her!!

Edited by TiffyLtheDork

Laughing so hard at these!! Don't want to hijack the thread but I think you'll appreciate this irrational "issue" I was on a Disney Cruise Line vacation. In the elevator one afternoon was a couple complaining long and loud about the ship being too themed and having too many kids. Uh, what? Did you miss Disney in the name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One one hand I agree with you.....

on the other hand some people really need to be shaken and asked, WTH?

Harriet

Not shaken, but asked by NCL, how they could do better.

I'd like to see reviews responded to by NCL.

If pax could just state their issue and have NCL respond.

Sometimes I think NCL's silence means they agree there is a problem.

I understand your point. I was suggesting that a person doesn't HAVE to directly correct other people...simply post the factual information in their own review.

When enough reviews contain the truth, those who "embellish" will stand out like a butler lover.

We'd most likely end up with more reviews if people didn't feel like they had to defend their opinions all the time.

haha I GET IT.

Not shaken, but asked by NCL, how they could do better.

I'd like to see reviews responded to by NCL.

If pax could just state their issue and have NCL respond.

Sometimes I think NCL's silence means they agree there is a problem.

I think NCL are sensible being selective about what issues they respond to. If they responded to each and every 'complaint' on these boards they would quickly lose credibility (and perhaps their sanity!)

When they do respond on these boards, you know that is probably to a serious, well-founded issue. (I bet they're having a lurker's giggle over this one though!)

Wow, as always a fun thread always turns into a life of its own :eek:

A message board is an interesting demonstration on the human brain. It is clear that some only see things in black and white. There is never a gray area....ever....period. We all know people like this and its not necessarily bad but just interesting to understand how they think.

Cruise reviews are all subjective. I may like the entertainment while you don't. You may say Cagneys has the best steak and I say it is the worst. Its fun to read everyone's different perspective. And here is the gray area and why I started this thread. Clearly there are way over the top and extreme examples that cross the line in being subjective or objective and sometimes I find them funny.

Remember the woman who was on the Gem and had her nails done at the spa and went back to her cabin and took a big steamy hot shower and her nail polish came off and she went to the front desk crying to remove the spa service from her bill.

The guy who was upset the day care center was closed during some adult only show and wanted to drop off his kids at the front desk for a baby sitter.

The woman who claimed her shrimp was "rancid" and stunk up the dining hall and her husband was on a special diet but was chumping down desserts all week and they went to the front desk to have the meal removed from their bill because sugar was in the desserts.

And my all time favorite review "Jewel serves prison food." A woman did not eat all week and she could only pick at rolls at the buffet because there was nothing to eat. Another guy on the Jewel actually considered leaving the ship in port because there was NOTHING to eat on board.

And this thread about the carpet being too hard to change what you wear the entire week. She could not wear any fancy dresses with sandals because she was forced to wear tennis shoes because the carpet was too hard.

These kinds of reviews are funny because they cross that subjective line into an entirely different kind of review. I don't think anyone would give them any credibility on such claims. Its not fair or right to lump these kinds of reviews with the ones where the cruise was not one of their favorites. There are lots of reasons not to like a cruise but hard carpet is not one of them.

Edited by david_sobe

I just told my wife "remember when we just got a kick out taking pictures of Palm trees" never lose those small appreciative things. Every time I go on a cruise right around the last day there is someone being as loud as they can telling everyone they will never cruise bla bla bla again. Please don't ruin our trip because your miserable everywhere you go. Life short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do get a lot of crazies in your job. My daughter (39) is a 9-1-1 dispatcher with the San Bernardino County Sheriffs office. She calls me every day with a story lol. I always look forward to her calls.

*LOL* I have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher for going on 31 years next month . I bet your daughter and I could swap some doozies of stories .

Where I am we occasionally sing after getting off the phone with a real winner

"All the crazy people, where do they all come from" (To the tune of Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles)

And after all that time when I really think I have heard it all , I hear something new. I guess it means I am not that old after all and still have plenty to hear *LOL*

Wow, as always a fun thread always turns into a life of its own :eek:

A message board is an interesting demonstration on the human brain. It is clear that some only see things in black and white. There is never a gray area....ever....period. We all know people like this and its not necessarily bad but just interesting to understand how they think.

Cruise reviews are all subjective. I may like the entertainment while you don't. You may say Cagneys has the best steak and I say it is the worst. Its fun to read everyone's different perspective. And here is the gray area and why I started this thread. Clearly there are way over the top and extreme examples that cross the line in being subjective or objective and sometimes I find them funny.

Remember the woman who was on the Gem and had her nails done at the spa and went back to her cabin and took a big steamy hot shower and her nail polish came off and she went to the front desk crying to remove the spa service from her bill.

The guy who was upset the day care center was closed during some adult only show and wanted to drop off his kids at the front desk for a baby sitter.

The woman who claimed her shrimp was "rancid" and stunk up the dining hall and her husband was on a special diet but was chumping down desserts all week and they went to the front desk to have the meal removed from their bill because sugar was in the desserts.

And my all time favorite review "Jewel serves prison food." A woman did not eat all week and she could only pick at rolls at the buffet because there was nothing to eat. Another guy on the Jewel actually considered leaving the ship in port because there was NOTHING to eat on board.

And this thread about the carpet being too hard to change what you wear the entire week. She could not wear any fancy dresses with sandals because she was forced to wear tennis shoes because the carpet was too hard.

These kinds of reviews are funny because they cross that subjective line into an entirely different kind of review. I don't think anyone would give them any credibility on such claims. Its not fair or right to lump these kinds of reviews with the ones where the cruise was not one of their favorites. There are lots of reasons not to like a cruise but hard carpet is not one of them.

Well sure, but remember that what YOU (or I) consider over the top and/or extreme is perfectly rational to the person posting.

Sorry for going off topic. Yes she does like the job. She is going on 10 years now and worked for TSA before that. Loves the sheriffs dept. 100 x more then TSA. You really do have to have a warped sense of humor to work in dispatch. Happy to report that she is a good match for this job and doesn't get flustered and can stay calm on the phone.

This is going back some, but I do remember reading a review way in the past where the complaint was about the cruise line serving "red wine" in a "white wine" glass. I originally thought this rather frivolous, but after some consideration and years in-between of drinking wine I actually now find it a valid complaint. Goes to show how the validity of complaints could change over time. Sure it seems to be a small complaint, but if you're spending $X on a glass of wine I can see how you would want to enjoy it to it's fullest.

How about the one who was concerned about the brand of ketchup and planned to bring his own?

The one who said the dining room and buffet food was inedible and they ate EVERY meal in Blue Lagoon?

The on who complained about all the foreigners who worked on the ship?

It really is a long list of idiot complaints.