Sky Princess

Eileen G

I like it. I believe some years ago, well before I started cruising, the was another Sky Princess. I'm sure if that's not so, someone will be happy to correct me.

Anyway, I don't think it's a case of Princess lacking imagination ... JMO, but I think that Princess's thinking is more traditional, choosing to reuse the names of ships.

I like it. I believe some years ago, well before I started cruising, the was another Sky Princess. I'm sure if that's not so, someone will be happy to correct me.

Anyway, I don't think it's a case of Princess lacking imagination ... JMO, but I think that Princess's thinking is more traditional, choosing to reuse the names of ships.

I share your thoughts & other cruise lines such as HAL & Cunard have the tradition of reusing ship names which has nothing to do with a lack of imagination.

The Sky Princess was originally Sitmar's Fairsky before the merger.

I hope they sort out some of the issues from Regal and Royal. That fountain is a huge waste of space not to mention how much time staff spend pushing the water to help dry the deck. Lack of stairs, limited pool options, soot .... As for reusing names who cares maybe it saves them some coin with having to register and such.

We sailed on the the Sky Princess in May 1999. We loved it. We had a mini-suite which was huge. We were assigned to the Captain's table every night along with two other couples. We will never forget that cruise.

The Sky went to scrap some time ago. We love that a new Princess ship will be named

in her honor......

Judith

They've got to keep the old timers coming back... for a little longer anyway.

At least RCI looks to the future at the newer generation coming along for many years to cruise and not consistently looking back at the good ol' days.

There's nothing wrong with "the good ol' days", IMHO.

Has anyone else heard that the name of the new R-3 ship is Sky Princess. I am on the Regal right now and that is what the captain said at the Platinum-Elite party last night.

Hmmmm...someone else had mentioned that they were going to hold a contest to name the new ship. Probably way too early to speculate anyway, they haven't even started cutting the steel for the new ship.

They've got to keep the old timers coming back... for a little longer anyway.

At least RCI looks to the future at the newer generation coming along for many years to cruise and not consistently looking back at the good ol' days.

I don't see anything wrong with honoring past ships. It is a time-honored tradition and certainly better than anything that, say, RCI or NCL is coming up with (think Quantum of the Seas or NCL Breakaway :eek:).

Edited by RickEk

I don't see anything wrong with honoring past ships. It is a time-honored tradition and certainly better than anything that, say, RCI or NCL is coming up with (think Quantum of the Seas or NCL Breakaway :eek:).

Nope, there's nothing wrong with it but don't' you think the other cruise lines would do it if it was all that popular instead of choosing new innovative names? You might not agree with the ones they've chosen but they must be doing something right to attract new business.

There's nothing wrong with "the good ol' days", IMHO.

While true in general, I did not like the name the first time around and don't like it any better now. It seems like a name better suited for an airplane than a cruise ship. It also seems like an odd name for a build that is designed to turn passengers' attention inward instead of outward.

Has anyone else heard that the name of the new R-3 ship is Sky Princess.

LOL, I first thought this was a 15 year old topic referring to Princess buying R-3 (formerly Renaissance Cruises R-3) which they did and renamed her Pacific Princess to replace the original Pacific Princess.

With that in mind I wont be surprised at all if Pacific Princess joins Ocean Princess before 2017 and thus the third "NEW R SHIP" may ultimately be named Pacific Princess not withstanding the fact that the current Pacific Princess was the OLD R-3. I hadnt thought if that tie in!

Terry

LOL, I first thought this was a 15 year old topic referring to Princess buying R-3 (formerly Renaissance Cruises R-3) which they did and renamed her Pacific Princess to replace the original Pacific Princess.

With that in mind I wont be surprised at all if Pacific Princess joins Ocean Princess before 2017 and thus the third "NEW R SHIP" may ultimately be named Pacific Princess not withstanding the fact that the current Pacific Princess was the OLD R-3. I hadnt thought if that tie in!

Terry

I don't think it's likely that this build will be the Pacific Princess, unless she follows the Ocean Princess right smartly. Selling passages on two different Pacific Princesses simultaneously would be confusing, and the Ocean Princess departs perhaps two months before the 2017 schedule goes on sale (leaving aside certain markets that go on sale sooner)

Hi All

Well if we are playing I think I know something you don't game,

If Princess had a Princess name the Royal

P&O will have a Queen name Britannia

which is unusual as Cunard normally gets that accolade,

however expect the great and good of Carnival and Princess, all to be there

in Southampton in a few weeks time,

yours Shogun

We sailed on the the Sky Princess in May 1999. We loved it. We had a mini-suite which was huge. We were assigned to the Captain's table every night along with two other couples. We will never forget that cruise.

The Sky went to scrap some time ago. We love that a new Princess ship will be named

in her honor......

Judith

I thought your CC name was familiar. I think we were at your table. The Sky was my husband's favorite ship and I still miss her.

Nope, there's nothing wrong with it but don't' you think the other cruise lines would do it if it was all that popular instead of choosing new innovative names? You might not agree with the ones they've chosen but they must be doing something right to attract new business.

How is RCI doing with the Quantum? :)

Has anyone else heard that the name of the new R-3 ship is Sky Princess. I am on the Regal right now and that is what the captain said at the Platinum-Elite party last night.

We were on this cruise as well. We didn't get to do the captain's party because we opted to leave our formals at home. On the wake show, though, Ron announced that no decision was made, yet. Someone's fibbing. ;) I can't imagine why the captain would lie about something like that, though.

LOL... people don't sail a ship because of the name.

Maritime tradition is a powerful thing and I think it's nice that Princess upholds that tradition by honoring their old ships by reusing their names on the newbuilds.

We were on this cruise as well. We didn't get to do the captain's party because we opted to leave our formals at home. On the wake show, though, Ron announced that no decision was made, yet. Someone's fibbing. ;) I can't imagine why the captain would lie about something like that, though.

Somehow, I bet the Captain isn't lying, but simply speculating.

LOL... people don't sail a ship because of the name.

Maritime tradition is a powerful thing and I think it's nice that Princess upholds that tradition by honoring their old ships by reusing their names on the newbuilds.

Somehow, I bet the Captain isn't lying, but simply speculating.

You don't because we both know what Princess has to offer but a newbie who hasn't the slightest idea of what to expect on a cruise ship probably does. A lot of today's cruisers won't be here in 20 years so marketing to the new generation is more important than resurrecting an old ship name.

The ship was scrapped in 2013. She was one of the last steam turbine passenger ships.

The naming pattern of ship's is a very important part of any line's identity. It is common to re-use names of particular importance to the line as a way of maintaining identity and honoring heritage. The current fleet has a nice balance of traditional and new names. The new names in recent use include: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Tahitian, Caribbean, Diamond, Grand Recycled names include: pacific, island, royal, crown regal, sun, dawn, coral, ocean, star., golden. Old names not currently in use: fair, sky, sea (and Princess Patricia, Italia, and Carla).