Do we need Eastern Caribbean Dollars as well as US Dollars?

COCKTAIL GIRL

All the islands accept US Dollars and you really do not want to get stuck with EC Dollars. So if you pay for something in US dollars make sure you ask for change in US dollars and most will comply...with the exception that they usually will not have US coins. The official rate is 1 US to 2.7 EC although we have found that many places use something close to 1 US to 2.5 EC. If they try to tell you 1 dollar for 2 EC just say no :)

Hank

Take a stack of fives and ones, so you can round to the nearest dollar and not worry about bits of change. One thing to always ask is if the cabbie takes USD. Not good to take a ride, then find they won't accept. But, since much of the economies of those island is based on tourism from US citizens, greenbacks work.

The other advantage....if you don't use those fives and ones, they're still good to use at your local store back home...:)

Personally, I always have a wad of at least fifty ones to start any trip, cruise or not. Not in my pocket (I'll look like I'm out of the Sopranos), but enough so that each day I'm covered. And a couple hundred in fives. Again, it's not like they will go to waste, and you only go ashore with what you think you'll need and a bit of reserve.

All of the islands you're going happily accept the US Dollar!:D

As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to take smaller bills (1's,5's, 10's) on your port stops so you can pay the exact amount.

No need to wag a large wad of small bills on the ship with you. The purser's desk (customer services) will break down your large bills for you.

LuLu

On the islands you mention, you can pay in USD for almost everything. However you may get your change in Caribbean currency (EC). So if you pay for a $12.00 item with a US $50, you might get $38 change in EC. This is fine if you want to spend $38 (USD equivalency) more while you are still in a place that accepts EC. If not you will be stuck with that many EC dollars and they are not generally welcome back here in North America at the banks.

So the advice is good. Pay with USD, but pay with the smallest bill you can (that means you need to have some small bills when you go ashore), so you can get the least amount of EC change possible. Try, at every opportunity you have, to use those EC coins. Otherwise you will be left with a bunch of coins you cannot convert when you get home. If you get stuck with some, put them aside and if you take another cruise, you can try to use them up next time.

Good advice, simplelife. But if you're taking a taxi to the beach it's unlikely you can use your card. If you are buying some Cokes, a souvenir tea towel, or paying for a couple of beach chairs and an umbrella, credit card is not realistic.

Then you should pay with the smallest USD possible.

For places that will accept your credit card, use that, Charges are automatically converted to local currency unless the merchant specifies US, (the charge for this is minimal). I have done this throughout the Caribbean and in Europe.

Most credit cards charge a foreign exchange fee so we try to stay away from using credit card in foreign ports.