Interesting coincidence

Shmoo here

What ships are you sailing next? Wondering if I may have some excitement to look forward to.

Unfortunately, we're not sure when we'll be on HAL again (but we will). We've decided to give Princess a try this Spring. And then the big trip - a loooooong river cruise Bucharest to Cologne (I'm sure I'm going to hate the 12 hour flight at the beginning and end of this, but we're doing it anyway :)).

We weren't on those ships during any of those rescues, just thought it was funny that those were the ships. And, in the same order that we took them (Zuiderdam 1st, Zaandam 2nd, and Veendam 3rd).

Our local news stations mentioned the rescue yesterday -- showed the plane and Veendam. Even mentioned the ship's name.

But our National news only mentioned that it was a Holland America ship.

Our local news just said it was a cruise ship - you should have heard my smart aleck remark to the tv, LOL

Ruth we have sailed on all 3 ships too and the next one will be the Noordam, so what do you think? Wonder if she be next to do something spectacular?:D

If I could predict things that well, I'd be buying lottery tickets! Finance lots of cruises that way!

I hope there's never a need for another ship to come to a rescue, but that's unrealistic. If the Noordam, or any other ship, is called to such service, I can only hope they get the job done well.

I've been on the Zaandam and Veendam, but not the Zuiderdam (yet...). However I was on the Oosterdam a few years back when it diverted to assist a couple of fishermen in a small boat. They had run out of gas, or engine conked out or something. Before the Ooster-rhymes-with-toaster could lower its launch, some other fishermen came along and rescued their buddies. This was off the coast of Baja California.

I was on the Veendam, off the port of Halifax, back in September '98 when we were called into service in the rescue (and later recovery) mission for Swissair flight 111. The plane had gone down during the night before.

We were part of an armada of vessels slowly sailing our path in a grid looking for survivors, at first.

By early afternoon we were repositioned to another area, and the mission changed to recovery. Tenders with ship personnel were lowered, and passengers were asked to stand on the deck, looking for any and all debris. (We could see better than those in the boats) We were to point to what we saw, and the boat would go and retrieve it. Lots of debris was popping up by then.

By mid-afternoon the ship was released. A memorial ceremony was quickly arranged, and a wreath of flowers was dropped over the side of the ship.

It was a very moving ceremony, and fulfilling to know that we had even a small part in the efforts. It is something I will never forget.

Wow Ruth - that must have been hard. I'm tearing up thinking how you (and everyone else) was able to help. that hits hard for me, I was almost on that flight.

I had forgotten but in the caribbean I have been on ships that rescued fisherman. not as exciting and probably never made the news. And that's really about it...Captain makes an announcement and life onboard goes on.....

Wow Ruth - that must have been hard. I'm tearing up thinking how you (and everyone else) was able to help. that hits hard for me, I was almost on that flight......

How fortunate it was only "almost"!

There was a group of airline people taking the cruise; I had gotten friendly with many of them. They knew some of the flight crew on the plane, and were dealing with a personal loss. Seeing them, seeing how close it hit home---that was hard.

I was on the Veendam, off the port of Halifax, back in September '98 when we were called into service in the rescue (and later recovery) mission for Swissair flight 111. The plane had gone down during the night before.

We were part of an armada of vessels slowly sailing our path in a grid looking for survivors, at first.

By early afternoon we were repositioned to another area, and the mission changed to recovery. Tenders with ship personnel were lowered, and passengers were asked to stand on the deck, looking for any and all debris. (We could see better than those in the boats) We were to point to what we saw, and the boat would go and retrieve it. Lots of debris was popping up by then.

By mid-afternoon the ship was released. A memorial ceremony was quickly arranged, and a wreath of flowers was dropped over the side of the ship.

It was a very moving ceremony, and fulfilling to know that we had even a small part in the efforts. It is something I will never forget.

How very sad, I can understand never being able to forget something like that. It would be burned in your memory.

They were all staged by Hal....

...in conjunction with MI6 and the Mossad. Both of which answer directly to the Pope. Who, in turn, is controlled by the Illuminati, who are secretly a race of shape-changing lizard-men from outer space.

It's true. I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.

/sarcasm

Edited by Alcarondas
added disclaimer, just in case

In 2013 on the Noordam in the Caribbean, not long before sunset, our ship did a slow 360 change of course when someone on the bridge thought they saw something floating in the ocean. An announcement was made as to the reason, all eyes were on the sea but nothing was found. It was comforting to know that even the possibility of an overturned boat or similar debris would cause a ship's captain to slow and search.

That was a very traumatic time here in the Maritimes. I had no idea that you had played a part in the search and recovery. That is something that would stay with you forever.

There is a lovely roadside memorial to the victims about a mile beyond Peggy's Cove. It very fittingly overlooks the ocean and it is quite moving to visit it.

There is a lovely roadside memorial to the victims about a mile beyond Peggy's Cove. It very fittingly overlooks the ocean and it is quite moving to visit it.

I was fortunate enough to see that memorial a couple of years ago.

I was on another NE/Canada cruise, and joined with a few people to go to Peggy's Cove. I asked if we could make the easy detour to the memorial, as it means something to me. They all agreed.

The guide explained what some of the design represented, and I thought it very fitting.

I'm so glad I had that opportunity, as it served as my final chapter of the tragedy.

• 1 month later...

Those are amazing stories.

Four years ago we witnessed a Helicopter Medical Evac on a Carnival Cruise. I was amazed at the skill of the Coast Guard pilot flying diagonal, matching the ships cruising speed while holding steady enough to lift a passenger into the Helicopter.

From that day forward I've always considered how blessed we are each time we step off a ship with our own power. While we all hate to get off the ship, we are lucky to have sailed safely and blessed to have those skilled and willing in rescue.

What an incredible experience Ruth. Sad, moving and incredible. Thanks so much for sharing with us.