7 Day one way cruise...

twokids0204

Which do you prefer, Northbound or Southbound and why?

My thinking is I'd prefer Northbound, as Alaska is the highlight of the cruise... And as we reach Vancouver (on the southbound journey) it's kinda anti-climactic.

Your thoughts?

Edited by twokids0204

My thinking is I'd prefer Northbound, as Alaska is the highlight of the cruise... And as we reach Vancouver (on the southbound journey) it's kinda anti-climactic.

Your thoughts?

We did northbound in 2011. My thoughts were that the scenery would get better and better the farther north we went and I was excited to see the inside passage from our aft balcony.

However, it seemed to me that we went through some of the inside passage after dark on our way north. I wanted to see the narrows, but we never saw it. The other part is flying home from Anchorage was brutal. We were on a redeye home after a non-stop wonderful week of cruising and touring. I don't recall there being many choices to fly home during the day.

If I get to do a one way again, I'm going to fly to Anchorage first and spend a little time seeing the sights, and especially get to do the Kanai Fjord tour, and maybe spend a day and night in Seward. We loved visiting the Wildlife Conservation Center. We also got to go up the tram ride at Alyeska. There's so much beautiful country up there.

We are going again, but we are doing a round trip Vancouver on the Radiance in Sept.

Have fun planning!

We did northbound in 2011. My thoughts were that the scenery would get better and better the farther north we went and I was excited to see the inside passage from our aft balcony.

However, it seemed to me that we went through some of the inside passage after dark on our way north. I wanted to see the narrows, but we never saw it. The other part is flying home from Anchorage was brutal. We were on a redeye home after a non-stop wonderful week of cruising and touring. I don't recall there being many choices to fly home during the day.

If I get to do a one way again, I'm going to fly to Anchorage first and spend a little time seeing the sights, and especially get to do the Kanai Fjord tour, and maybe spend a day and night in Seward. We loved visiting the Wildlife Conservation Center. We also got to go up the tram ride at Alyeska. There's so much beautiful country up there.

We are going again, but we are doing a round trip Vancouver on the Radiance in Sept.

Have fun planning!

Interesting take... I wouldn't have thought of that... Thanks.

Anyone else?

With regards to the inside passage being dark... I think Northbound would see more of it. Southbound has you entering Port Hardy as I was going to sleep. I remember this because I would get cellular coverage going to sleep on my final voyage night. Based on 7 day return trips.

Your thoughts?

Something else to consider.... on some cruise lines North and South has different glacier viewings. I notice Princess does Hubbard viewing Northbound, but the return Southboard trip has College Fjord on some test dates.

I haven't been there.... is Hubbard better or College Fjord fellow critics?

Edited by xlxo

We prefer southbound. We've done both, but find it much less tiring to do most of our exploring before boarding the ship, that way we have a week to actually relax, instead of seeing interior Alaska after the cruise. Plus, the flights from Anchorage to the East Coast are brutal and who wants to come back from vacation exhausted.

We prefer southbound. We've done both, but find it much less tiring to do most of our exploring before boarding the ship, that way we have a week to actually relax, instead of seeing interior Alaska after the cruise.

This is exactly why I also prefer the southbound cruise. I like doing all my exploring pre-cruise. Plus, you get the longer flight out of the way first.

It always makes me giggle when people talk about the 'brutal' flight from Anchorage to the East coast. That's a short hop for us Australians, who think nothing of (real) long haul travel. (with a few days stopover in Honolulu to ease the transition). Interesting how everything is relative!:)

We just did our first Alaska cruise this past summer and for a "first trip" I'm glad we did the northbound for the reasons you mentioned. Each day the scenery just kept getting better and more majestic. I loved ending the cruise with the two "glacier days".

But...doing a land tour at the end of the cruise meant all of a sudden we had to worry about where we were going to eat AND then pay for it! :eek: Also...just the hassle of dealing with luggage, etc. for several days wasn't much fun. Our flight left Anchorage after midnight and by the time we got home we were dead tired.

Lord willing there will be a "next" trip and then I think I would prefer to go southbound.

First off, I live in Southern California, so don't have the long flight to the East Coast. Our first cruise was Southbound from Seward to Vancouver. You immediately start counting down the days. Each day becomes a little sadder. It's difficult to really enjoy the cruise counting the days to it's end.

Our second trip, I chose a Northbound cruise, as I wanted to do landtour to the Yukon and interior Alaska. Not only was it about $500 cheaper than Southbound, but we found the scenery and anticipation got better and better as we headed North. By the end of the trip 11 days later, we were ready to head home, no sad ending to that trip.

HAL put us at the Hilton for our last night in Anchorage, and it was a great ending to a wonderful cruisetour with HAL transfers to the airport the next morning.

You are going to see the same scenery (unless you are out of Seattle)., no matter which direction you travel. Only the traveler knows what is more important to them. Happy travels to all!

I have done both directions numerous times and don't have any preference. There are pluses to each direction. It has been rare in my cruises, not to have daylight inside Vancouver Island sailing. My track record for viewing the northern resident pods has been 110% over the last few years. With the northbound, I am up prior to dawn with less scenic viewing. It's all about the entire itinerary and timing.

My traveling is "even", My mainland plans are perfect with enough time to including my touring priorities. I'm not "rushing" anywhere, I don't care about moving after a few nights, and not sure of the "packing" issues some complain of. I have my toiletries and a few clothes in a bag. :) Laundry is my friend.

I don't "relax" on any Alaska cruise, my travel style is still to include my choices of tours. My travel plans are even. Maybe a thought for other's plans.

It is of no issue for me with the flights.

Everyone is different, find out for yourself, your style and go in that direction.

I haven't been on an Alaska cruise yet, but we are in the planning stages for one & a deciding factor for us was the time. On Princesses itinerary, Southbound was more appealing to us because the arrival times were later going thru the bay's & at the beginning of the cruise, which will give us time to relax & not wake up early the first few days after the long flight from the East coast. Something you might want to consider as well. :)

Edited by TMW67

For us, Southbound was definitely better. To get all the travelling out the way and then relax on the cruise and end with a direct flight home is much better for our situation.

To me, I just feel lucky and happy to be able to go there, regardless of north, south or round in circles, I would take anything!!