Purchasing Bonine in San Juan or on Board AOS

Wendylois

We are cruising on the Adventure of the Seas on March 29

we are from newfoundland and they do not sell bonine or anything similar in our pharmacies.... Due to Air Canada flights we can not fly in the day before, we have to fly in the day of the cruise. Just wondering where can I purchase Bonine prior to boarding the ship or if it will be available on board. I cruised last year for the first time and I am sure I am going to require it. We do not land until around 2 pm that day so we will not have a lot of time for exploring San Juan sadly. Thanks in advance

Purchase from a pharmacy prior to boarding. It might have changed, since I haven't looked for it in a while, but the one time I tried to find Bonine while on board, they only had Dramamine. Dramamine makes you drowsy. Bonine doesn't. The pharmacies will not only have Bonine, but the price on the ship will be twice as much as it would be if you purchase from a pharmacy prior to boarding.

we are from newfoundland and they do not sell bonine or anything similar in our pharmacies.... Due to Air Canada flights we can not fly in the day before, we have to fly in the day of the cruise. Just wondering where can I purchase Bonine prior to boarding the ship or if it will be available on board. I cruised last year for the first time and I am sure I am going to require it. We do not land until around 2 pm that day so we will not have a lot of time for exploring San Juan sadly. Thanks in advance

Don't know if they sell Bonine on the ship but there is a CVS pharmacy on the street across from the cruise terminals. When you are facing the Sheraton Hotel just walk left a block or two. I will be in San Juan next week on the Grandeur. If I get the chance I will check out CVS to see if they have Bonine....will let you know when I'm back mid-February.

Jane:)

As someone already said, the generic name is meclizine, and you can even order it on amazon. It does not require a prescription in the U.S. and I do believe on most ships it is the med that is handed out for free on board if you get sick. It's a wonderful med - I take one every 12 hours starting the night BEFORE the cruise and it wourks amaziongly well for me with no side effects. Otherwise, I'm a mess with seasickness.

Don't know if they sell Bonine on the ship but there is a CVS pharmacy on the street across from the cruise terminals. When you are facing the Sheraton Hotel just walk left a block or two. I will be in San Juan next week on the Grandeur. If I get the chance I will check out CVS to see if they have Bonine....will let you know when I'm back mid-February.

Jane:)

There is a CVS pharmacy directly across the street from the cruise port in San Juan.

I believe you are talking about the dock in Old San Juan. Adventure boards at the Pan American Pier, so this won't help the OP.

I'd say take a taxi and ask them to stop at a drugstore. I know there was a Walgreens we walked to from the Embassy Suites near the airport.

Or even better, the PP's suggestion about asking someone on your roll call to get you some and reimburse them.

As someone already said, the generic name is meclizine, and you can even order it on amazon. It does not require a prescription in the U.S. and I do believe on most ships it is the med that is handed out for free on board if you get sick. It's a wonderful med - I take one every 12 hours starting the night BEFORE the cruise and it wourks amaziongly well for me with no side effects. Otherwise, I'm a mess with seasickness.

I also start taking it a day before the cruise starts and it's a godsend.

Can you order it online? We Americans can order crazy meds from Canada--don't get me started on my ex-BF's "advil" :eek:. I would hope you could order something as benign as bonine!

As a last resort, try chatting up your fellow passengers to see if they have any extra they might give/sell you. It is so inexpensive to get a big bottle on amazon that I would be happy to give you a week's worth if I met you on the cruise. Of course taking free drugs from a stranger, is well, I suppose a bit of a risk, lol!

Meclizine is not available in any form anywhere in Canada for some reason. You should be able to find it under either the meclizine, bonine, or "dramamine II" brand names in any American drug store (regular dramamine, without the "II", is a completely different medication). I've usually seen it sold at the news stands in airports as well.

I believe you are talking about the dock in Old San Juan. Adventure boards at the Pan American Pier, so this won't help the OP.

I'd say take a taxi and ask them to stop at a drugstore. I know there was a Walgreens we walked to from the Embassy Suites near the airport.

Or even better, the PP's suggestion about asking someone on your roll call to get you some and reimburse them.

Ohhh, that's right. Cruises originating in San Juan normally use the Pan Am pier. Sorry! :o

You can just go to guest relations on board and ask for some. They will give you a couple of packets with 2 tablets in each one, so you may have to go back in a few days and ask for more. I just take one every 24 hours and it's enough for me.

Sometimes if you go down to the medical unit when they are open (look in your Compass for the hours) there will be a big bowl or basket of these packets and you can take what you need. Or at least it was like that on our last Royal Caribbean cruise.

Be glad you are sailing on a cruise line that DOES give these out for free. I know for a fact that Princess does not.

Thanks for the comments everyone.. we are flying through Toronto so we will not have any stop overs in the US

I will check the airport when we land if not ill get the cab to stop at a pharmacy on route to the ship

do not want to risk getting on board and not being able to get it !

I have checked the amazon route, they will not ship to Canada.

I may have to search and see if there is any pharmacies in the US that will ship over the counter meds to Canada! didn't ever consider that option before!

I also suggest you order it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/dp/B004FJFF2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422644373&sr=8-1&keywords=meclazine+25+mg+chewable&pebp=1422644385628&peasin=B004FJFF2A

I take 1/2 tablet before I fly, 1/2 tablet when I go to bed the first night, and another half if the seas are rough the first day. Usually, 1 - 2 full doses takes care of me for a week.

Edited by pcur

Thanks for the comments everyone.. we are flying through Toronto so we will not have any stop overs in the US

I will check the airport when we land if not ill get the cab to stop at a pharmacy on route to the ship

do not want to risk getting on board and not being able to get it !

I have checked the amazon route, they will not ship to Canada.

I may have to search and see if there is any pharmacies in the US that will ship over the counter meds to Canada! didn't ever consider that option before!

If you are going to stop at a drug store you could also pick up a couple of bottles of wine to take onboard. :)

You can ask the cab driver to make a quick stop at a Walgreens or CVS on the way to the port. Another option is to ask someone from your roll call to buy it for you. Happy cruising!!:)

Can you ask someone on your roll call to buy it for you (genetic works well ) and get it from them onboard? Can also get at guest relations.....I know many who have asked for it in the past...and it was complimentary. Can you buy ginger pills in Canada? That may work for you. Flying in same day, depending on arrival, and buying in San Juan, may be a headache.

My husband has told me that, if I ever get seasick during a cruise, he will no longer believe that I'm a Newfoundlander! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

You can just go to guest relations on board and ask for some. They will give you a couple of packets with 2 tablets in each one, so you may have to go back in a few days and ask for more. I just take one every 24 hours and it's enough for me.

I second this. DW has always gotten it at the Guest Relations desk. She has never had to pay for it.