Canadian cruisers!!

Dreamer 115 is right though. Hopefully people wont abuse it or it will become bad for everyone. I'd much rather put down my OBC that I plan on spending on that cruise and hope that its still there next time I go to use it rather than pile a bunch of money on there that I have no intention on using immediately and seeing it go away.

Be like a real Canadian folks - don't abuse it.

I agree with your sentiment. I have bought $500 OBC for 7 cruises for a total of $3,500. On one of them I brought some money home, and on the other two I owed more at the end. I have used 3 up already and have 4 waiting in the wings. I wouldn't say I have abused it. I would like to think for those that have bought $1,000 to $1,500 for the week have full intention to use all or most of it on their cruises as well.

I also want to mention that some of these cruises are 15 months from today. Is that greed or just good planning? I am taking the risk that the dollar will not be in a better spot than when I bought it. The other thing to remember is RC has my money today to use at their disposal, even though it is refundable. The rates will change when RC wants to do it. Then it will be bad for everyone, but hopefully still better than using a credit card.

They way the dollar is dropping with inflation going up 1% I hate to think where our economy might be headed. If inflation goes up too much we are going to be into a pile of brown mess from sea to sea to sea.:eek:

what was your cost today? as i said earlier, the cm told me it was $499 for $499 which i find odd.

I bet they thought you want to buy OBC in US not Canadian, making it at par. I had not explain to one agent that I was from Canada and the rate went from par to 10 cents on the dollar.

I agree with your sentiment. I have bought $500 OBC for 7 cruises for a total of $3,500. On one of them I brought some money home, and on the other two I owed more at the end. I have used 3 up already and have 4 waiting in the wings. I wouldn't say I have abused it. I would like to think for those that have bought $1,000 to $1,500 for the week have full intention to use all or most of it on their cruises as well.

I also want to mention that some of these cruises are 15 months from today. Is that greed or just good planning? I am taking the risk that the dollar will not be in a better spot than when I bought it. The other thing to remember is RC has my money today to use at their disposal, even though it is refundable. The rates will change when RC wants to do it. Then it will be bad for everyone, but hopefully still better than using a credit card.

They way the dollar is dropping with inflation going up 1% I hate to think where our economy might be headed. If inflation goes up too much we are going to be into a pile of brown mess from sea to sea to sea.:eek:

I would say $500. is not greed at all and getting some for 7 cruises is good too. The amount that bothered me was when people were saying they would buy enough to pay for their next cruise. That is abuse. We bought $500 and may buy another $500 before we go as we are going to be on a 14 day cruise and will probably go through more than that with gambling, drinking and excursions .

I have to say finding this posting of the rates was great for us to save some money and I am very grateful.

Connie

I would say $500. is not greed at all and getting some for 7 cruises is good too. The amount that bothered me was when people were saying they would buy enough to pay for their next cruise. That is abuse. We bought $500 and may buy another $500 before we go as we are going to be on a 14 day cruise and will probably go through more than that with gambling, drinking and excursions .

I have to say finding this posting of the rates was great for us to save some money and I am very grateful.

Connie

For 14 days $1000 sounds like a good amount. I'd buy it today as who know when it might change.

I don't quite understand it all, and I really don't want to read through this whole thread. I want to book a cruise with RC for Aug 2016. Can any give me advice on how to save on this dollar exchange issue? I would really appreciate your help as I want to book today!

TIA

Rosa

I don't quite understand it all, and I really don't want to read through this whole thread. I want to book a cruise with RC for Aug 2016. Can any give me advice on how to save on this dollar exchange issue? I would really appreciate your help as I want to book today!

TIA

Rosa

For starters are you Canadian?

lol...of course I am! :D

It doesn't say where you live so I wanted to confirm.

It does not save you money when you pay for the cruise in Canadian. What this thread is about is buying OBC today, at a rate better than the banks charge, for a cruise that you already have a deposit on. If you go to page one of this thread and you can read the process.

Hope this helps.

It doesn't say where you live so I wanted to confirm.

It does not save you money when you pay for the cruise in Canadian. What this thread is about is buying OBC today, at a rate better than the banks charge, for a cruise that you already have a deposit on. If you go to page one of this thread and you can read the process.

Hope this helps.

Got it! This is about about opportunity cost!. Thank you.:-)

:

Very reasonable IMO

Just finished reading the thread from page one.

I'm pretty disappointed as my cruise is booked in US and cannot take advantage of this promo (AFAIK the cruise needs to be booked in CAD)

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?... there has to be!

:confused::confused::confused:

Just finished reading the thread from page one.

I'm pretty disappointed as my cruise is booked in US and cannot take advantage of this promo (AFAIK the cruise needs to be booked in CAD)

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?... there has to be!

:confused::confused::confused:

There is no way.

Edit: if you haven't paid in full you could cancel and rebook. I think after all the work it would not be worth it as your cruise cost would be more than the savings not the mention the possible loss of perks you might have already.

maybe if a canadian cruiser (on the same ship, sailing date, etc...) buys you a OBC through his/her account as a gift to you ...and you pay them back...that might work?

I see this as a win-win for everyone. In theory you are supposed to spend the OBC on board for drinks, excursions, etc... and there is a mark up so the cruise lines still make money. if you cash it out, you lose a bit but I think for most, people will spend it on board.

NCL does this too which is great for me, as I prepay everything at a lower rate and dont get dinged by my cc for the exchange rate and the "prcoessing fee"

maybe if a canadian cruiser (on the same ship, sailing date, etc...) buys you a OBC through his/her account as a gift to you ...and you pay them back...that might work?

I see this as a win-win for everyone. In theory you are supposed to spend the OBC on board for drinks, excursions, etc... and there is a mark up so the cruise lines still make money. if you cash it out, you lose a bit but I think for most, people will spend it on board.

NCL does this too which is great for me, as I prepay everything at a lower rate and dont get dinged by my cc for the exchange rate and the "prcoessing fee"

Maybe a friend or relative could buy it, not getting a "stranger" involved. I suspect though it would still be need to be bought in U.S.

Not sure if there is actually a limit but I was able to add $1,000 of OBC just now for $1,100 CAD :)

Is anybody nervous about the fact that the confirmation email only states what you paid for the Credit and not what the actual value of the credit is (e.g. $1,000). My invoice only says that I've paid $1,100 for OBC.

Edited by rinse82

Not sure if there is actually a limit but I was able to add $1,000 of OBC just now for $1,100 CAD :)

Is anybody nervous about the fact that the confirmation email only states what you paid for the Credit and not what the actual value of the credit is (e.g. $1,000). My invoice only says that I've paid $1,100 for OBC.

Valid question, but that's all they will provide you. To date, no one has encountered any issues with getting the proper amount of OBC though. I wouldn't worry about it.

Prior to our transatlantic sailing this past May I WAS a bit nervous but I can assure you, we received the correct amount in U.S. dollars. I also took our email confirmation with us just in case but there were no problems. It will likely be the next day before your OBC shows up on your sea pass account but it will be there. ;)

Prior to our transatlantic sailing this past May I WAS a bit nervous but I can assure you, we received the correct amount in U.S. dollars. I also took our email confirmation with us just in case but there were no problems. It will likely be the next day before your OBC shows up on your sea pass account but it will be there. ;)

I can second this...absolutely no problem on our cruise last March.

I think pretty much all of us have been worried about that but it has worked out great. I did have to call C & A from the ship before sailing as we had purchased $1000 for each of 3 cabins. Our cabin only had a card showing $500 and the ship staff said they couldn't help us. C & A got it straightened out for us.

I think pretty much all of us have been worried about that but it has worked out great. I did have to call C & A from the ship before sailing as we had purchased $1000 for each of 3 cabins. Our cabin only had a card showing $500 and the ship staff said they couldn't help us. C & A got it straightened out for us.

I have always taken out email receipt of the OBC purchase, just in case of a moment like this.

From our cruise in April, we had no problems receiving our $500 US OBC, however they split it between my DW and I equally in our folios.

That's strange. They have always put it against mine, but DW charges go to my folio so at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

From our cruise in April, we had no problems receiving our $500 US OBC, however they split it between my DW and I equally in our folios.

As I'm travelling with a friend and we both purchased OBC. Has anyone encountered any issues with making sure that each of our purchased OBC is on our account only (eg. not split)? I mentioned this when I purchased mine and the person said no problem, but I'm wondering if that is how it will be when I get on the ship? I plan and told my friend as well to double-check with guest services to make sure that each of our purchased OBC is on our accounts only. However I was wondering what others have experienced.