Canadian cruisers!!

Even with a CC on file, you can get cash back on the last day. We got US back as we didn't want the CC company to make money exchanging it on us. We also have a US bank account and put it in there when we returned home.

Sorry I misspoke. I stand corrected.

Just wanted to post a reply based on our experience:

We purchased $500 credit at the 10% rate (thanks again OP - amazing share!), plus we had $200 promo credit from Royal.

We sailed on Indy last week - had a fantastic first cruise!

At the end of the week, we had a balance of $128 US remaining on our account. I asked at Guest Services and they said that, since our account was linked to a credit card, any balance would be refunded to that card.

I checked this morning, and there was a credit on my CC from RCI for $158 CAD. The credit was in USD, converted by the bank, so I'm benefiting from the bank's exchange which is higher than the 1.10 I originally paid for the credit.

Do I assume that it would be best if I use my US Dollar visa from TD Bank for refunding my unused balance instead of the CDN dollar one? I don't really want to carry a few hundred in cash on the flight home.

Do I assume that it would be best if I use my US Dollar visa from TD Bank for refunding my unused balance instead of the CDN dollar one? I don't really want to carry a few hundred in cash on the flight home.

That would avoid conversion costs.

Sorry I misspoke. I stand corrected.

No need to worry. I just thought for those wanting to keep it in US it is an option. I figure why pay the duty back to Canadian when you already had a great rate of exchange getting it into US. I have had enough the bank getting rich off of me, I'd prefer to give my money to the cruise lines.;)

Love your avatar too.

I used a travel agent to book my cruise, do I go through her to buy my OBC, when I checked with her about the 10% rate she said it would be whatever exchange rate my credit card company is charging and has never heard of the 10% rate.

I used a travel agent to book my cruise, do I go through her to buy my OBC, when I checked with her about the 10% rate she said it would be whatever exchange rate my credit card company is charging and has never heard of the 10% rate.

You do not need to go through your TA. Call Gifts & gear and they can add it for you. It is not charged to your card in USD, it is charged in CAD so your credit card company exchange rate has nothing to do with the transaction. Keep in mind you must have booked in CAD funds in order to purchase OBC in CAD. If you booked in USD, than your agent is correct.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

You do not need to go through your TA. Call Gifts & gear and they can add it for you. It is not charged to your card in USD, it is charged in CAD so your credit card company has nothing to do with the transaction. Keep in mind you must have booked in CAD funds in order to purchase OBC in CAD. If you booked in USD, than your agent is correct.

C&A can also process this transaction. 800-526-9723

Sorry to question again, I found 'gifts and gear' but OBC not listed. Does this mean I have to phone in the request and can't do it online? It does say I booked in canadian dollars so that is a bonus I guess. There is an email address for C&A can I do it by email. I really am more comfortable doing it on the computer than by phone and I don't have a lot of time during the day for phoning.

Connie

Sorry to question again, I found 'gifts and gear' but OBC not listed. Does this mean I have to phone in the request and can't do it online? It does say I booked in canadian dollars so that is a bonus I guess. There is an email address for C&A can I do it by email. I really am more comfortable doing it on the computer than by phone and I don't have a lot of time during the day for phoning.

Connie

Only way is by phone. Took me less than 5 minutes tonight.

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that I was able to purchase obc's today at $1.10 Canadian. (confirmed by agent on phone) $499 U.S. cost me $548 Canadian. $499 is the max you can purchase over the phone without having to fax your credit card information and ID. The agent did say that my husband could purchase the same amount that I did using his credit card. We just might do that and then just cash in any extra at the end of the cruise. It's a win-win!

I just bought $500. over the phone this afternoon, costing $550. She didn't say anything about a limit or faxing info.

I know... It's so, so strange.

I tried to add $500 a few months back and was only allowed $499. This was through gifts and gear for our upcoming March cruise.

Just called Crown and Anchor and was able to add an additional $1000 for $1100.

All depends on who answers the phone!

Oh and just did a currency conversion on my app, and it looks like with the dollar today, I saved over $200.

Edited by son3cruisers

Yes, it definitely depends on the agent you get when you call Gifts and Gear but we were able to add $500 U.S. each time we called.. and we called 5 times. When we boarded Brilliance for our transatlantic in May, we had $2500 U.S. OBC which we purchased, but did not spend it all. We received what was left at the end of our cruise. It's a great deal. :D

Yes, it definitely depends on the agent you get when you call Gifts and Gear but we were able to add $500 U.S. each time we called.. and we called 5 times. When we boarded Brilliance for our transatlantic in May, we had $2500 U.S. OBC which we purchased, but did not spend it all. We received what was left at the end of our cruise. It's a great deal. :D

I wonder if anyone has purchased enough OBC that they could purchase their next cruise on board in US$.

Whoo Hoo, thank you very much for this wonderful information. Just go my max for today of $499. and will be calling again to get more. How wonderful to only pay 10% exchange. Hope this stays around for awhile.

Connie:)

Yes, just ask them to send you a pdf for your records. It will show all the 'extra' OBC you have bought. For some reason, it won't show all the OBC (ie. ship or TA bought). Ask your TA to check that for you.

Morley

Whoo Hoo, thank you very much for this wonderful information. Just go my max for today of $499. and will be calling again to get more. How wonderful to only pay 10% exchange. Hope this stays around for awhile.

Connie:)

Does anyone know if this or a similar deal is available for Australians to purchase OBC at a reduced rate. Our dollar has slid to $0.74 US and is predicted to hit as low as $0.65 within 6 months.

I'm booked on the Voyager of the Seas from Sydney in December and would definitely purchase a load of OBC if we were able to get the same deal.

I wonder if anyone has purchased enough OBC that they could purchase their next cruise on board in US$.

Never thought about that Ken but it might be an idea. Can't see any reason it wouldn't work. ;)

When ever we have put a deposit on our next planned cruise or a FCC on board they use a credit card, not your ship account. Great idea though.

EDIT: If you cashed out your account on the last day you would have the funds. I highly suspect that the next sales staff take cash for their sales.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Does anyone know if this or a similar deal is available for Australians to purchase OBC at a reduced rate. Our dollar has slid to $0.74 US and is predicted to hit as low as $0.65 within 6 months.

I'm booked on the Voyager of the Seas from Sydney in December and would definitely purchase a load of OBC if we were able to get the same deal.

It was a while back but people did post that the Australians were able to get a similar deal. Not sure of the exchange rate but it was significantly better than that at the bank.