Car Seat and Stroller help for Australian mum coming to the US

letiha

Hi

We are travelling from Australia in April and will be doing 2 cruises with carnival. Our youngest daughter will be 16 months.

We are also spending time in Mexico, Las Vegas and Miami before and after the cruise.

So originally I was just going to bring a small stroller with me and we were going to rent car seats as my Australian seat can't be used.

However I have now realized that maybe a better option is buy a stroller and car seat off Amazon and have it delivered to our hotel in L.A for when we arrive.

Any suggestions...happy to look at travel systems.

I am not worried about room for the seat whilst on the cruise as we are travelling with 2 friends who will have a cabin to themselves each so I can stash it with them.

I think the idea of buying one off a place like Amazon is a great idea compared to bringing them across the globe!

Like was said, make sure to check if the hotel you are staying at accepts deliveries and what if any fees they might charge because from what I understand, they can be hefty!

Another option is if the hotel won't give you a straight answer, or charges a good amount, there are Amazon Lockers all over L.A. and wouldn't cost anything other than getting to one and back. Alas not being from there I don't know exactly where they are or if any are convenient to where you will be.

My only suggestion would be if money isn't a deal breaker on it, I would look for one with the bigger jogging wheels on it if you are looking to bring it for any beach time.

I think another good think to look at is what will you be doing with this stroller/car seat after you are done? If a car seat from Australia wouldn't work over here, am I incorrect that it wouldn't go back either? There are a few options you could check here when you are done (Stores like one called Once Upon A Child) who buy used items with cash. I am sure you could also find a charity who would happily come pick it up also from you where ever you are when you are done also.

If you do end up renting, make sure to check out on specific thing with the company, if you can return it in a different city. It sounds like you will be going a lot of places, and I am not sure if you are leaving from the same airport in the end. If not, this might cause a problem with a rental and returning it.

What is the plan for getting from LAX to the hotel? Technically you'll need a car seat at that point too, so sending it to your hotel doesn't give you a seat for the first leg. It may work out great to send it to the hotel, but what if there is a weather delay in shipping and you don't get the package on the day you arrive? I shipped a present to a hotel once that didn't arrive until two days after I planned on it arriving. (The Amazon lockers that Jasalth mentioned are not large enough to hold a stroller or car seat. The largest boxes can only be about 16".) You could have it delivered to to a UPS store, but that still doesn't give you a car seat from the airport.

A couple of questions: How long are you renting the car before the cruise and are you staying in LA the whole time or at least a few days? How long are you renting a car after the cruise? What are you going to do with the seat and stroller afterwards?

It's expensive to rent them from the car agencies (about $10-12/day) and there's a certain ick factor but maybe you could rent one on the first leg (even if it's just for a day and return it to the car company if you haven't traveled too far from the rental site). It would get you to a store to buy a new seat and stroller. Target, WalMart and Babies 'R Us all have multiple stores in LA and a good "find a store" search on their websites with maps on how to get there.

If you are bringing them on the ship I wouldn't buy a large stroller because it won't fit through the cabin door without taking the baby out and collapsing it. Also, unless you're friends have large suites, cabins are still small and it's nice if the stroller can fit under the bed. If you intend to use it while on the ship you'll want one small enough to maneuver around carts in the hallways, in and out of elevators, and down the gangplank. It doesn't have to be the cheapest umbrella stroller, but an umbrella style stroller with a recline and sunshade would be perfect. We usually bring the Maclaren Volo but if you want a recline you'd need to get the next style up for that. However, if you are not keeping the stroller after the trip, I wouldn't spend Maclaren money on a stroller.

Legally, car seats cannot be sold or technically even given away so no second hand store will take them. You may be able to leave it with the rental car company. They may end up tossing it, but that's likely what you would have to do too. They do take strollers, but if you buy one you like, you may want to take that home with you and have it for the airports on the return trip.

I know that's probably more of an answer than you wanted, but if you have other questions, let us know!

If you are staying by LAX, all hotels have shuttles where you will be unable to use a car seat. That could solve the problem.

It is not illegal to sell or give away a used car seat in the US. Where does that come from?

Edited by 6rugrats

If you are staying by LAX, all hotels have shuttles where you will be unable to use a car seat. That could solve the problem.

It is not illegal to sell or give away a used car seat in the US. Where does that come from?

Agree...it is not illegal to sell or give away a carseat...Each carseat has an experation date on it this is what is important.

Also, I don't know what the Australian carseat laws are. But in most of the US, it is law to have an infant in a rear facing carseat until age two. So you will probably want to look at a "convertible " carseat. They hold a child bigger than an infant and can go either backwards or forwards in a car.

Also, I don't know what the Australian carseat laws are. But in most of the US, it is law to have an infant in a rear facing carseat until age two. So you will probably want to look at a "convertible " carseat. They hold a child bigger than an infant and can go either backwards or forwards in a car.

This is not true. Most states don't even have a law requiring rest facing until one (a few do). It is recommended, but that's not the same thing as being a law.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/childsafety_laws.html

Edited by mjkacmom

We plan on getting the Disney shuttle from the airport so no car seat required.

We will be in Miami for 2 days and Las Vegas for 4 days as well as 6 days in Mexico (Tulum) where we will need a seat.

I was more looking at brand recommendations whether I get it at Walmart or Amazon. From my previous trip to Disney I know there is a target near by but we are time limited so I didn't really want to be out shopping.

Since you are a visitor you can use your Australian seat in the US. If you moved to the US you would have to get a new seat. If you have a seat for her on the plane I would strongly recommend using your own seat (confirm it is aircraft certified) on the plane and when visiting the US. I wouldn't check a car seat though because they can be damaged and you'd have no way of knowing.

As far as which seat to get I would stear away from a combo. The strollers tend to be really bulky and do not drive very well. At 16m your daughter is likely getting close to the limits of most of the bucket seats anyway. I would go with an inexpensive convertable seat and an umbrella stroller.

For car seat this one may be a good option: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-NEXT-Convertible-Car-Seat-Choose-your-Print/41126739

It is not overly expensive, you can keep her rear facing to 40lbs/40" and has some good features (side impact protection). It is also apparently light.

As for rear facing laws, yes some states have it until 2 years old, unfortunately most don't. The laws though are just the minimums. As long as your child fits within the limits of the seat it is legal to keep them rear facing. Children are significantly safer rear facing than forward, so definately keep her RFing no matter what the laws state.

I am a Canadian CRST (Certified Child Restraint System Tech) and am on chat boards with US Techs as well if you have any more questions.

It will work out better to buy the car seats but if you have a stroller at home just use that one. You can usually check them for free depending one the airline. Check the reviews on amazon for safety/user recommendations your price range. Another site I use a lot is diapers.com or babies r us. They can be cheaper then amazon.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

When we went to Disneyworld a few years back it was cheaper to buy carseats then rent from the car company. I ended up ordering them from walmart.com and used the ship to store option. They will hold the items there for about 2 weeks (double check). It was no problem to pick up everything we needed once we were there!

I think ship to store is a good option if you can stop by and pick something up at a Target or Walmart.

I'm the one that mentioned not being able to get rid of the carseat. Maybe it's not illegal, but every outlet I tried to either sell it to or give it to in MN would not take it. The Once Upon a Child here told us that legally they could not sell car seats or cribs. Maybe it's just our state or maybe he didn't have the facts right, but I know Goodwill, Salv Army, etc won't even take them as donations. Sadly I ended up taking our almost brand new infant seat to a recycle center.

I think the "facing the back" thing is state to state too. Here they say 20 pounds AND 1 year old have to face the back.

Just an observation - having traveled many times with our now 42 month old, I will say it is very, very handy to have a stroller when you're in the airport. Yeah, so you have to gate check it and that's fine - but as you know it is tons of 'hurry up and wait' and if they are strapped in to something it is much easier manage. Especially at that age... We traveled with something a little better (but not much) than a disposable umbrella stroller - a Chicco Liteway. Had a pocket or two here and there for stuff. Invaluable.

What is the plan for getting from LAX to the hotel? Technically you'll need a car seat at that point too, so sending it to your hotel doesn't give you a seat for the first leg. It may work out great to send it to the hotel, but what if there is a weather delay in shipping and you don't get the package on the day you arrive? I shipped a present to a hotel once that didn't arrive until two days after I planned on it arriving. (The Amazon lockers that Jasalth mentioned are not large enough to hold a stroller or car seat. The largest boxes can only be about 16".) You could have it delivered to to a UPS store, but that still doesn't give you a car seat from the airport.

A couple of questions: How long are you renting the car before the cruise and are you staying in LA the whole time or at least a few days? How long are you renting a car after the cruise? What are you going to do with the seat and stroller afterwards?

It's expensive to rent them from the car agencies (about $10-12/day) and there's a certain ick factor but maybe you could rent one on the first leg (even if it's just for a day and return it to the car company if you haven't traveled too far from the rental site). It would get you to a store to buy a new seat and stroller. Target, WalMart and Babies 'R Us all have multiple stores in LA and a good "find a store" search on their websites with maps on how to get there.

If you are bringing them on the ship I wouldn't buy a large stroller because it won't fit through the cabin door without taking the baby out and collapsing it. Also, unless you're friends have large suites, cabins are still small and it's nice if the stroller can fit under the bed. If you intend to use it while on the ship you'll want one small enough to maneuver around carts in the hallways, in and out of elevators, and down the gangplank. It doesn't have to be the cheapest umbrella stroller, but an umbrella style stroller with a recline and sunshade would be perfect. We usually bring the Maclaren Volo but if you want a recline you'd need to get the next style up for that. However, if you are not keeping the stroller after the trip, I wouldn't spend Maclaren money on a stroller.

Legally, car seats cannot be sold or technically even given away so no second hand store will take them. You may be able to leave it with the rental car company. They may end up tossing it, but that's likely what you would have to do too. They do take strollers, but if you buy one you like, you may want to take that home with you and have it for the airports on the return trip.

I know that's probably more of an answer than you wanted, but if you have other questions, let us know!

I don't think your statement about the sale or exchange of booster/car seats is accurate. First, it's a state issue. So check your individual state and see if it's legal. However, I don't believe most states ban this. They may have regs about thrift stores, etc., selling them, etc.

Since no one actually gave you brands...I have a small Combi carseat my 3 year old just outgrew. Pricey but light and fit well on the plane. I replaced it with an Evenflo Maestro- lightweight and cheap. Good brands in the US are Chicco, Graco, Britax. Evenflo is cheaper and good for a backup or travel seat. For strollers, I would go with a $15 umbrella stroller from Babies R Us or Target, just toss it when you go home. Make sure your rental car has seat belts in Mexico or the carseat is useless.

Thanks for all the help. Plan is bring a small stroller from Australia and have one delivered from Walmart I think we are looking at cosco brand.

Hotel has confirmed they will accept delivery and if it didn't arrive I found always get a taxi to Walmart.

We have decided to take it home with us as we will likely be back in the US again in the next 2 years do we can use it again.