Potential for delayed embarkation

monicakm

Arrived in Houston today to spend a couple days with family before leaving out on Feb 1 on the Emerald. Got this email this evening 😯

IMPORTANT NOTICES

POTENTIAL FOR DELAYED EMBARKATION

Please be advised that weather forecasts for this coming weekend predict heavy fog for the Houston area. It is possible that Emerald Princess' return to Houston on Sunday, February 1, 2015, may be delayed, which would result in a delayed embarkation for your cruise.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will communicate further updates tomorrow, Saturday, January 31. You may also contact us at 1-866-246-6761 for updates and to provide us with an email address and/or mobile phone number if you have not already done so.

This happens often in Houston, the last time we sailed out of Houston (Jan 2014) we were delayed 6 hours, so Princess set up a shuttle to a local board walk, the shuttle was slow, but after checking in, you could hop on the shuttle and go to the boardwalk area in Bayside, kill some time, shop and eat. It wasn't too bad.

This happens often in Houston, the last time we sailed out of Houston (Jan 2014) we were delayed 6 hours, so Princess set up a shuttle to a local board walk, the shuttle was slow, but after checking in, you could hop on the shuttle and go to the boardwalk area in Bayside, kill some time, shop and eat. It wasn't too bad.

A shuttle is nice, BUT what did you do with all your carry-on stuff?

Not surprised that there may be problems tonight/tomorrow. The weather forecast calls for a "warm" front to lift back north over the Houston area tonight. With the cold water in the Bay & Gulf, this is a sure bet for sea fog.

likely less than ideal weather tomorrow regardless of fog, so plan accordingly. It was raining as I left the ranch West of Houston and the rain was moving to the East towards Houston and is due to only get worse thru the night and tomorrow.

Winds were definitely blowing warm Gulf moisture overland which will feed the rain and will depending on temperatures saturate the air, which at the right temperature just fogs things up.

Emerald is in port and everyone should be off and on with no delays. Not sure if there will be fog later today, but as long as I'm on the ship, I'm good. We've been on delayed sailings several times,(last one was during Sandy - we were delayed, but ours was one of the few sailings that made it out.) We're sailing on 2/22, so keeping fingers crossed for us - just get me ON the ship!!!

Edited by mek

Thankfully the weather is sooooo much nicer the predicted for the early part of the day. Glad for those getting off and others on the ship today.

Looks like maybe there will be rain at sail away time. I'd think based on what I saw of forecast they should get out of town before anything gets too bad for them.