Deck chairs on Riviera Carribeam Cruises

Jacqueline

I am considering Miami to Miami next month and never having cruised on Oceana, I was wondering how much drama is involved on getting lounge chairs on sea days?

I really want to relax on this one...

Thanks in advance for any feedback. This would be my first time on this cruise line.

In this guy's review of the Mayan Mystique itinerary on Riviera, (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159327) he noted that attendants would put cards on "reserved" deck chairs rather quickly....

He wrote: "As soon as someone left their sunbed to go in to the pool, grab an ice cream or eat lunch a card was placed on the bed by the pool stewards telling them that items left unattended for 30 minutes would be removed. Although I totally understand that its very frustrating when people ‘reserve seats’ or leave their beds for an extended period of time it felt patronizing to us when we went to get a quick scoop of ice-cream and came back within a few minutes to find a card already placed on the beds warning us our stuff would be removed shortly. "

That was his reaction - I was thrilled. I wish all the territorialism at pools would be handled this way and this quickly! We avoid the pool areas completely on O cruises and hang out on our veranda because we tire of fighting for one of the "reserved" chairs that sit pretty much empty most of the day... Just my opinion, of course.

I think the size of the veranda depends on your cabin category and location. We sail in Concierge which can only accommodate chairs. The suits are different, especially the ones at the end of the ship.

I agree entirely! In fifteen years of cruising, this is my number one pet peeve. I say hurrah for the deck attendants. I would imagine this falls to the supervisor in directing the staff.

Funny how one person's complaint is another's praise.

It was to the point that I prefer port intensive cruises.

The veranda has two chairs, I have read here that in the few rooms with the deeper veranda they ask to have a lounge to replace the chair. We have never had a problem getting a lounge by the pool however it might of been on a higher deck. Yes, chair hogs are out in full force. This experience was in the crib.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I am considering Miami to Miami next month and never having cruised on Oceana, I was wondering how much drama is involved on getting lounge chairs on sea days?

I really want to relax on this one...

Thanks in advance for any feedback. This would be my first time on this cruise line.

We have sailed on Oceania out of Miami four times; all on the Riviera to the Caribbean

Never found getting a lounge chair a problem. Usually not all taken until after 11 AM on Pool Deck but still a lot available on Deck above pool.

The lounge chairs are excellent with 4" thick Matt with fitted Oceania towels.

If you want a lounge in the shade it could be an issue on some cruises

Just depends on your shipmates at the time

We usually have gotten a lounger but sometimes you have to go further from the pool area to get one ;)

We had several sea days on our Dec/Jan Riv cruise. By 9am almost all chairs were taken -- yet no one was there. Rules were never enforced.

We had to go to the GM to get a lounge chair on our extended veranda - they initially refused saying the cruise was fully booked.

Edited by PaulMCO

Rules were never enforced.

I tend to chat with my fellow passengers in the Pool or in the hot tub, and if the conversation is good, it may continue for a good while (although we never leave the pool deck, you understand).

Oceania_Regatta_013.JPG

Very often, the lounge chair where I've left my things will be tagged before I return to it.

Marina-Pool-Bar-0407.JPG

This, of course sends me running to the Waves Cocktail Bar for a sustaining libation.....or three.....to calm my shattered nerves.

Between the affirmations and the Vodka, the Doctor says that we are only just managing to hold a nervous breakdown at bay! ;)

I just exited the Riviera, having sailed on a ten day Caribbean cruise.

All lounge chairs in the shaded areas were reserved by 8:30am on sea days.

The attendants do their best by putting the 1/2 hour notice cards on some reserved chairs, but they don't do it often.

Bottom line, if you want two chairs in the shade...reserve early, and check on the chairs often if you need to get up for awhile to eat, change etc....

The attendants do their best by putting the 1/2 hour notice cards on some reserved chairs, but they don't do it often.

Bottom line, if you want two chairs in the shade...reserve early, and check on the chairs often if you need to get up for awhile to eat, change etc....

I hope you will come back and tell us more about your first cruise on O, once you get all settled. I am really interested in your perspective. :)

Thanks!

Last January one year ago on our first Caribbean cruise I complained on these boards quite a bit about how difficult it was to get chaises in the shade on Riviera on our sea days, forcing me one day to retreat to our veranda to sit in the shade.

However, we experienced just the opposite on our return for our second Caribbean cruise last month. We never had any problem getting chaises in the shade on either of the two sea days on our Mayan Mystique January 14 through January 24 cruise. In fact, on the second sea day, we ate late at Waves Grill and found those notice cards on our chairs when we returned after 35 minutes at the Grill. I was very happy to see those cards, which did not exist a year ago. Hopefully, that made the difference.

Edited by CintiPam