Contacting someone onboard

weregoingcruising

When we had a death in the family and had to reach my parents on a Celebrity transatlantic we faxed a letter to my parents in care of the ship. The letter was placed in an envelope and pushed under the door. I phoned Celebrity in Miami to get the fax number.

If I am on a transatlantic cruise, with no possible way to leave the ship and come home, PLEASE, do not send bad news my way. As there is nothing I can do, it will only sadden and detract from the enjoyment of the cruise. It can wait.

If it's possible to leave the cruise and fly home, that's a different story, but in the middle of the ocean, with no way to leave the ship, be kind and let the bad news wait till a port stop.

If a family member needs to contact you on the ship, they can call (877) 266-1020. Have the ship's name and cabin number handy! IT's $7.95 per min.

I always include all of those details in my emergency contact information that I leave with friends and/or family, who are watching things while we're gone. Also emphasize the fact that e-mail/cell phone communications can be quite spotty, in some parts of the world. Folks are so used to being able to instantly connect, these days.

For a real emergency simply have them call Celebrity and someone on the ship will track you down. Celebrity got a message to us when we were in Antarctica and let us call the hospital at no charge each day. The concierge has lots of leeway in what they can do if you are nice and not demanding.