Super Bowl Ad

Working 2 Cruise

There are people on Facebook complaining the commercial is "offensive to Christians." Sigh.

Just saw a post on this on Facebook. Hadn't seen the spot as the first hour of so was watching the Puppy Bowl, but seriously some people take things too literally.:rolleyes:

Lol. Canadian. Don't see those commercials.

You can see it (and the three ads that were not used) at http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/comeback.html

My problems with the ad:

It was supposed to attract the many people who have never cruised before to cruising on a Carnival brand ship.

Until the last couple of seconds, there was no hint this was an ad for cruising. And the Carnival brands were not up on the screen long enough for people to know what they were.

As someone posted above, it was in good taste. However, it did not show people enjoying themselves on a cruise.

It will not be discussed around the water cooler tomorrow.

I do not think it will attract any one who has never cruised before to spend thousands of $$$ to go on one of the Carnival Corp brands' ships.

Edited by caribill

I thought it was a very classy ad. I knew a few seconds in that it was a cruise ad, I just wasn't sure who it was for until I recognized one of the ships.

For those who say they didn't know it was a cruise line advertisement, JFK mentioned the "sea or ocean" 6 times and they had 7 scenes with ships prior to the final scene.

Nice job Carnival Corp.

Funny doesn't always mean effective awareness generation with the target audience nor always translate into sales.

There are many commercials that are funny or even memorable but sometimes we can't recall the product/service or don't buy any more of it.

Remember, commercials are intended to do more than entertain.

For those who say they didn't know it was a cruise line advertisement, JFK mentioned the "sea or ocean" 6 times and they had 7 scenes with ships prior to the final scene.

Listening to the ad, I thought (before the end) it was a public service announcement to preserve the seas, possibly by preventing global warming.

My vote would have been for Message in a Bottle followed by Cruise Virgin. Getaway and Come Back to the Sea were tied for last in my opinion. Come back to the see was a bit too esoteric and Getaway was just plain dumb. I thought Message in the Bottle was the cleanest and most enjoyable.

But, then again, I don't need any prodding to sail!

Maureen

I just had a look at Message in a Bottle, so now I've seen all of them.

I have to say, Message in a Bottle is the one that I think has all the elements. It gets your attention, provides information about what you get from the product, entertains, and strikes a good balance between light and serious. I thought the JFK ad was too serious. It will resonate more with a slightly more "mature" crowd (I mean, that quote was from 1962...). The Message in a Bottle ad would have reached a wider spectrum of ages, IMHO.

Howell's my 2 cents. I think it is a timeless ad. It speaks to those who have never cruised and to those who have. About the only people who it does not address are those who do not like the ocean.

As for not about cruising....I saw cruise ships in several scenes.

I think it will resonate more to those who were around while JFK was around, but it also speaks to everyone.

I though message in a bottle was cute, but it was more geared towards kids...

I mean Disney could have used to scenes with the kids and just put in clips of their own ships and voila a disney commercial.

As for being offensive to Christians....go figure. JFK was a Catholic and was accused of being in the Pope's pocket. I doubt if you could say he was not a true believer.

But, I will say JFK id have the sea in his veins. He grew up by the sea, sailed in the sea, fought and was shipwrecked in the sea.

I know of what he speaks. I grew up by the sea and it has captivated me ever since. That commercial would speak to me even if I had never cruised before, which was one of the goals of the ad.

I think it was a good choice....

I though message in a bottle was cute, but it was more geared towards kids...

Respectfully disagree. At the risk of belaboring this, most of the shots are adult themed: Couple kissing at the railing, couple's massage, friends dining together, the two singles passing in the staircase. (There is one shot of a dad with his child in the pool, but that is aimed at families, to illustrate that CCL offers a product to everyone). The girl, and the boy at the end, are merely the messengers - they represent innocence and discovery, i.e. the people who have never cruised before, or who have just experienced their first cruise. The commercial effectively reaches out to the target audience with whimsy and no pretense.