Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

Sorry to be off topic, but does this mean your suite is available on the Quantum TA?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Haha this was my first thought too!

There is actually a difference between fresh squeezed, and freshly squeezed? Will there be a freshest squeeze next? And then Presqueezed? At least with presqueezed we can say sometime before you boarded the ship an orange was squeezed, but oranges are no longer squeezed onboard.

Blu has not always served fresh squeezed as I used to understand the term. Oh sorry I mean freshly squeezed. No it did not ruin my cruise, but I suspect some of these changes have been in the works for awhile, as even though the menu says one thing, I knew what it was not when I tasted my husbands order.

I am amused how the rate for some people seems to never go up while mine is climbing with each booking no matter how much shopping I do. I am speaking of mainly AQ and SS categories.

I understand the cruise Industry is changing all the time and I should not in anyway expect Quality that was there in 2011 to have a bearing on 2015. It does mean I will finally start shopping more seriously though, because if the new standard for X is it is just like all the rest so be happy with us, then I will have to also flow with that.

I love a god fresh glass of OJ...but, seriously....if the lack of a glass of fresh juice would drive you away from a cruise line then you will find equally earthshaking deficiencies on ANY line...even the best of the luxury lines are going to have something you don't line...and in the grand sceme of things OJ is pertty small....you will probably come back arguing overall lowering of standards.....I really don't agree ..overall but it might be woth a letter to Celebrity....not much more though..in my opinion

We accept the cutbacks. We understand things change. But completely taking fresh orange juice off the ships? Modern luxury includes fresh juice! We have three trips booked on celebrity in the next two years but will need to rebook at Oceania. We have standards. These same standards made Celebrity our favorite cruise line for the last 5 years. Sad to think its time to upgrade again.

My big question for all those posting here, is how many have actually tasted what's now on offer to give an educated opinion on the matter.

I have, and noticed no difference, so don't see how missing watching someone put the orange in a machine the then crushes it is ruining the orange juice experience.

Isn't it really all about taste and flavor?

Somewhere along the way in cruising the fanciness of chamber pots being tended to by the staff was replaced by an automatic flushing toilet.

Here the squeezing of the juice by a staff member has been changed to having the juice squeezed in advance is all.

Edited by cle-guy

It probably should be, but I think we all recognize that with luxury products the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Maybe watching someone squeeze it really isn't that much better, or better at all. But it is a visual reminder of the premium prices you have paid. Does a Patek watch do much more than a Citizen watch?

I just find little cutbacks to be off putting. They are done at the behest of shareholders (as any public company should strive to do), but not done with the best interest of guests (which a luxury hospitality company should do). So, in essence, to me, having a luxury hospitality company doesn't necessarily jive with also reporting to shareholders and now Celebrity are clearly being caught trying to walk a fine line.

Once all of the small niceties disappear, what is going to really set apart Celebrity as a cut above? Perhaps no one single change or cut will offend you much, but when taken collectively as a whole, eventually you will question (the general you, maybe not YOU in particular) your choice to remain a customer.

I hope my point comes across as intended.

My big question for all those posting here, is how many have actually tasted what's now on offer to give an educated opinion on the matter.

I have, and noticed no difference, so don't see how missing watching someone put the orange in a machine the then crushes it is ruining the orange juice experience.

Somewhere along the way in cruising the fanciness of chamber pots being tended to by the staff was replaced by an automatic flushing toilet.

Here the squeezing of the juice by a staff member has been changed to having the juice squeezed in advance is all.

I don't think it has anything to do with flavor, it is someone's expectations of what luxury is. What I think is way too funny, is that some are complaining that there is no ice daily, no flowers in cabins, no chocolates on the pillow, q-tips and cotton balls not in glass containers, etc., which is luxury to them and all of these things are on, what one poster called a highly budgeted cruise line (NCL).....this is way, way too funny! Edited by NLH Arizona

I have, so here's an educated opinion. I sailed in a suite on Constellation in December and decided to have breakfast in Blu based on so many positive comments from this forum. Ordered a glass of orange juice, and mentioned to the waiter that we had the Classic package if our cards were needed for fresh squeezed juice. No, not needed.

The juice I was served tasted like Tropicana in a plastic jug. Nothing wrong with Tropicana, which costs more than frozen juice, powdered Tang, or icky stuff like Sunny Delight.

But it was a far cry from the type of fresh-squeezed juice I anticipated (which I believe HAL still serves free at their breakfast buffet.) The rest of the breakfast was fine, but nothing special. The plus was enjoying the pretty decor of Blu, but I didn't bother going back after that.

So I understand cost cutting but real freshly squeezed is one of those small hallmarks that define a luxury hotel versus the "free" buffet at the Hampton Inn.

It probably should be, but I think we all recognize that with luxury products the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Maybe watching someone squeeze it really isn't that much better, or better at all. But it is a visual reminder of the premium prices you have paid. Does a Patek watch do much more than a Citizen watch?

I just find little cutbacks to be off putting. They are done at the behest of shareholders (as any public company should strive to do), but not done with the best interest of guests (which a luxury hospitality company should do). So, in essence, to me, having a luxury hospitality company doesn't necessarily jive with also reporting to shareholders and now Celebrity are clearly being caught trying to walk a fine line.

Once all of the small niceties disappear, what is going to really set apart Celebrity as a cut above? Perhaps no one single change or cut will offend you

much, but when taken collectively as a whole, eventually you will question (the general you, maybe not YOU in particular) your choice to remain a customer.

I hope my point comes across as intended.

I think you expressed this beautifully. Some of us barely shopped around because we knew X was a cut above. It seems those who are the least dissapointed never really saw it that way. And honestly, it's likely the healthiest attitude. If X doesn't mind letting go of the cut above market position for some loyal members, then we shouldn't either.. I have certainly had plenty of resistance to the changes is X's marketing strategy. Likely, I will save money, by shopping on all the same mass market ships or occasionally love a higher end.

Occasionaly I have thought they made a calculation that free booze would make up for the changes and would bring people aboard who would be fine with its new market position.

I adore fresh oranges right off the tree, nothing out of a box will taste the same to me. I hope they do change the menus misinformation at least.

The menu is Blu says it is fresh squeezed and it has not been for some time. The waiters say it is but it hasn't been for a couple of years. Maybe it is a staff training issue maybe fresh is now like healthy and has no meaning.

It is always entertaining to see how these conversations can go. Let me chime back in.

Thank you to all my Celebrity loyal long time cruisers who recognized immediately that the comment is not literal. It is a comment about the continued cuts. Its not about one thing, it's the whole. As many have commented, fresh juice does stand out due to taste, false expectations and paying for something you aren't receiving. Of course no luxury anything would serve the current version.

Yes, I've tasted it. I noticed immediately! I even questioned the server after presenting my seapass card to pay( always have premium non alcohol package).

It's all about expectations. as loyal celebrity cruisers we know what was and what could be.

They had no problem in the past letting you know the added benefits along with paying a premium of being in Aqua class, one of them being fresh OJ. So now you will pay the same for less. No big deal but adjust your prices Celebrity...

I have been on Celebrity ships all but 5 days this calendar year. I have had the extra cost "fresh squeezed" OJ EVERY DAY. Yes there is a definate difference. If the OJ is from the top of the bottle it has next to no pulp. If from the bottom it has lots of pulp that tastes NOTHING like fresh oranges.

The change will not cause me to stop sailing Celebrity, but I am disappointed.

They had no problem in the past letting you know the added benefits along with paying a premium of being in Aqua class, one of them being fresh OJ. So now you will pay the same for less. No big deal but adjust your prices Celebrity...

At what percent should the price drop for discontinuing fresh orange juice?

I don't think it has anything to do with flavor, it is someone's expectations of what luxury is. What I think is way too funny, is that some are complaining that there is no ice daily, no flowers in cabins, no chocolates on the pillow, q-tips and cotton balls not in glass containers, etc., which is luxury to them and all of these things are on, what one poster called a highly budgeted cruise line (NCL).....this is way, way too funny!

I wish Celebrity would change their slogan. I tired of the term "Modern Luxury" being taken so literally and used against them.

The taste and flavor has more to do with the amount and brand of Vodka you mix the OJ with. Smirnoff not so good.

I wish Celebrity would change their slogan. I tired of the term "Modern Luxury" being taken so literally and used against them.
I don't know, I think some of the things they are doing is modern luxury. The suite experience that they are creating for one, I think playing more modern music is another. I just think that people have to remember that not everyone has the same definition of modern luxury. One might think having fresh squeezed orange juice is modern luxury, while others don't consider it modern luxury.

It is always entertaining to see how these conversations can go. Let me chime back in.

Thank you to all my Celebrity loyal long time cruisers who recognized immediately that the comment is not literal. It is a comment about the continued cuts. Its not about one thing, it's the whole. As many have commented, fresh juice does stand out due to taste, false expectations and paying for something you aren't receiving. Of course no luxury anything would serve the current version.

Yes, I've tasted it. I noticed immediately! I even questioned the server after presenting my seapass card to pay( always have premium non alcohol package).

It's all about expectations. as loyal celebrity cruisers we know what was and what could be.

Good to see your post on page 11.

it has been quite an interesting thread.

Just a point of order: what is the time limit when one can be considered a "long time loyal "celebrity cruiser? 5, 10 15, or 20 years?

Edited by Azulann

I don't think it has anything to do with flavor, it is someone's expectations of what luxury is. What I think is way too funny, is that some are complaining that there is no ice daily, no flowers in cabins, no chocolates on the pillow, q-tips and cotton balls not in glass containers, etc., which is luxury to them and all of these things are on, what one poster called a highly budgeted cruise line (NCL).....this is way, way too funny!

Just read on another thread that pillow chocolates will be back starting in April. Maybe a sign of better things to come?

Good to see your post on page 11.

it has been quite an interesting thread.

Just a point of order: what is the time limit when one can be considered a "long time loyal "celebrity cruiser? 5, 10 15, or 20 years?

When you notice the cuts, whether they affect you or not, you are a long time Celebrity cruiser. It has nothing to do with years.

Of course there are always those who say the cuts aren't really cuts, or are things they can do without.

No chocolates?..bring your own;

Q tips?..don't use them anyway;

fresh oj?..bet ya can't taste the difference;

no ice??..you just ask for it;

no water pitcher?..just buy it;

less trivia?..I don't play it, & besides not enough people attended on my last cruise;

zumba not free?.. just pay for it... things change, deal with it

less activity staff?..the singers & dancers don't work that hard, use them.

and on & on & on.

Edited by richsea

When you notice the cuts, whether they affect you or not, you are a long time Celebrity cruiser. It has nothing to do with years.

Of course there are always those who say the cuts aren't really cuts, or are things they can do without.

No chocolates?..bring your own;

Q tips?..don't use them anyway;

fresh oj?..bet ya can't taste the difference;

no ice??..you just ask for it;

no water pitcher?..just buy it;

less trivia?..I don't play it, & besides not enough people attended on my last cruise;

zumba not free?.. just pay for it... things change, deal with it

less activity staff?..the singers & dancers don't work that hard, use them.

and on & on & on.

Funny my only cruise to date with Celebrity was in 2013 and all of the items you listed above were available when we cruised. I would not consider myself a long time Celebrity cruiser.

Funny my only cruise to date with Celebrity was in 2013 and all of the items you listed above were available when we cruised. I would not consider myself a long time Celebrity cruiser.

Same here ------- :confused::(

Like I said, it has nothing to do width the amount of time sailed on Celebrity ships. In fact, your case highlights just how fast the cuts are coming.

My wife is going to be sad to hear about this as we sail in March and she always loved a glass of fresh squeezed oj to start the day. For me Cafe Americano and Baileys at el Bacio gets my day started!