Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

One other question with the hope of keeping this scintillating thread going. Why do they call it orange juice when it's clearly yellow? Why don't they call the fruit yellows and the juice yellow juice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that yellow would have been reserved for a lemons or bananas. I just hope they don't run out of limes this year for fear of the birth of yet another citrus thread.

One other question with the hope of keeping this scintillating thread going. Why do they call it orange juice when it's clearly yellow? Why don't they call the fruit yellows and the juice yellow juice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suggest you ask your primary care provider for an Ishiara (sp?) test. I can see calling lemons "yellows " but virtually every orange I have ever seen has been a whole lot more orange than anything else. And, while their juice is usually not as orange as their skins, it is still pretty orange.

Now, how to back up out of this rabbit hole of a diversion?

I suggest you ask your primary care provider for an Ishiara (sp?) test. I can see calling lemons "yellows " but virtually every orange I have ever seen has been a whole lot more orange than anything else. And, while their juice is usually not as orange as their skins, it is still pretty orange.

At what point does this thread Jump the Shark? Or has it already done so?

IAMCRUZIN.

It is not the price point that should change because they stopped serving fresh OJ but what was in their contract that you had to check that you understood what you were paying for.

Some places call it bait and switch .

Next time you board the ship and find out that something you thought you paid for was cut I am sure you will post on here and complain.

There is a reason that cruise lines register their ships outside the United States. Too many consumer protection laws and labor laws that would effect The crews

just had a thought...do they offer whole oranges for free on the buffet someplace, like apples and other fruits?

If so, just add to the cruising tool kit along with door stops, bungee cords, door dry erase boards, and duct tape, an orange juicer. I have a nice one with a screw on top to a glass jar, and to pack, I can pack socks or something inside it thus not even use any more space in my luggage.

then I get fresh OJ, squeezed by my own hand. can't get and fresher than that.... :D

I'm a problem solver.

IAMCRUZIN.

It is not the price point that should change because they stopped serving fresh OJ but what was in their contract that you had to check that you understood what you were paying for.

Next time you board the ship and find out that something you thought you paid for was cut I am sure you will post on here and complain.

You mean the contract that in many places says amenities are subject to change without notice? The contract that in fact say all they are providing is transport from point A to point B and that meals and drinks are not guaranteed as part of that carriage...? The only recourse comes if they do not complete the transport from A to B then a claim can be made. There is nowhere in the contract guaranteeing fresh squeezed orange juice, that's for sure.

Also all recent official published lists of beverages include a disclaimer in them stating that specific drinks and brands can be changed at any time. So any claim to "bait and switch" would be without merit.

just had a thought...do they offer whole oranges for free on the buffet someplace, like apples and other fruits?

If so, just add to the cruising tool kit along with door stops, bungee cords, door dry erase boards, and duct tape, an orange juicer. I have a nice one with a screw on top to a glass jar, and to pack, I can pack socks or something inside it thus not even use any more space in my luggage.

then I get fresh OJ, squeezed by my own hand. can't get and fresher than that.... :D

I'm a problem solver.

Yes you are! ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

You mean the contract that in many places says amenities are subject to change without notice? The contract that in fact say all they are providing is transport from point A to point B and that meals and drinks are not guaranteed as part of that carriage...? The only recourse comes if they do not complete the transport from A to B then a claim can be made. There is nowhere in the contract guaranteeing fresh squeezed orange juice, that's for sure.

Also all recent official published lists of beverages include a disclaimer in them stating that specific drinks and brands can be changed at any time. So any claim to "bait and switch" would be without merit.

The menus don't have those disclaimers....

IAMCRUZIN.

There is a reason that cruise lines register their ships outside the United States. Too many consumer protection laws and labor laws that would effect The crews

As a matter of fact many things have changed since my first and only sailing on Celebrity in 2013. I am sure there will be more changes by the time I sail again in 2016. There is nothing that any mass market cruise line can remove that would make me complain. Then again I haven't sailed as many days or as often as many here on cruise critic, so I don't ever expect to find things to be the same as the last sailing. If a company isn't providing you with the service expected then it's time to move on. Complaining and re booking another cruise sends the wrong message. I started sailing with Celebrity because Princess, where I'm at the platinum level, has terrible Caribbean itineraries. The day that lack of fresh squeeze orange juice,chocolates, and Q tips becomes more important than the trip, that's when I'll just stay home.

Maybe by following the advice of my primary care provider, who is big on nutrition and says not to drink orange juice at all, claiming that it is better for your body just to eat the orange instead.

The explanation was something about getting more fiber and slower sugar absorption that way.

At least doing that eliminates the concerns about whether the juice is freshly squeezed or frozen. ;)

Edited by fleckle

The Fresh Squeezed OJ issue is near and dear since I love the stuff. We live in Puerto Vallarta a few months a year where one can simply walk over to a street vendor and watch them squeeze the oranges. But when we first stated living here in Mexico, and were naïve enough to be concerned about what we ate, we worried about the OJ. So we did some research about fresh juices (we also use plenty of Lime juice here) and learned some interesting things. Yes, there is slight change of Fresh juice picking up some bacteria that might be on the outside of the fruit. But most authorities claim that the amount of bacteria that gets into fresh juice is negligible and not a risk to those with "normal immune systems." However, for those with compromised immune systems or the elderly it is often advised that the drink only pasteurized juices.

As to the nutrition and health stuff.....well we leave that to others since we still prefer to eat and drink things that taste good :). Being in my late 60s, and having averaged less then 2 sick days a year (over a near forty year career) we sometimes wonder how we are still alive after reading all the health stuff. Two good friends that were into health foods and organic foods are dead....so I cannot ask them to explain why I am not :).

Hank

P.S. I love rare cheeseburgers.

Edited by Hlitner

WOW .... 14 pages on orange juice!?! I'm going to admit I haven't read all of them so forgive me if I repeat what others have said.

This isn't just about the fact that Celebrity has done away with fresh squeezed orange juice (a disappointment for me); it's about them wanting us to believe that they are delivering something they aren't. Giving us drink package promotions and then removing items like fresh squeezed orange juice. Cutting service staff. Selling us concierge class cabins and slowly removing the little things that made the concierge cabins worth a little more (flowers are gone). Dining room menus that feature the same vegetable every night of our recent cruise.

Individually, these may seem like trivial things. But when you begin to add them up, they are signs for us of a decline I'm concerned about. Here's hoping some things turn around.

Here's my take: I don't squeeze my own at home so why the knickers in a wad. We want "better" cause we're on a cruise?

I worry about real things in life;)

And Andy's comments are the reason I have no allegiance to a particular line. To me, it's itinerary, price, ship.

Edited by blindrid

At the ages of 12 and 14 way back in the late 1970's I went on 2 cruises with my parents. They paid roughly the same price that I have paid to cruise this year. Does anyone really think that the prices should stay roughly the same over 30+ years and that the amenities are never going to change?

Celebrity, forget the orange juice (freshly squeezed or pre-freshly squeezed), give us a good quality grape juice, because it has the same heart-health benefits as red wine.

Oh no ! Would it have to be fresh squeezed grape juice ?

I would just say suck it up and deal with it, it's only OJ, there's worst things to be worried about.

These types of statements always make me think...."bet that person has a real hissy fit when it's something that bothers them."

Don't take that personally...I don't know you....but I've seen my share of folks who appear so calm and forgiving of everything until something that they care about isn't what they wanted....and then they fly off the handle...it's almost scary.

I would just say suck it up and deal with it, it's only OJ, there's worst things to be worried about.

These types of statements always make me think...."bet that person has a real hissy fit when it's something that bothers them."

Don't take that personally...I don't know you....but I've seen my share of folks who appear so calm and forgiving of everything until something that they care about isn't what they wanted....and then they fly off the handle...it's almost scary.

Indeed. It is amazing how some people love to dismiss other's concerns. I really have no strong feelings on the OJ - although fresh squeezed would be nice, but if it is important to some folks, why be dismissive of their concerns.

It is particularity amusing coming from someone (cocacola86) - who expressed concern once that "Couldn't get the lower price - Saw online it had dropped just by 20 dollars from 489 to 469 but it didn't show up on our computer. "