Cheese Board ?

scotslizzy

Does Princess have a good cheese board ?

By that I mean proper un-pasteurised cheeses not the generic Danish blue stuff that you get in any buffet etc .

If so is this a feature in the MDR or only in the speciality restaurants?

I appreciate that not everyone loves this type of thing but on some cruise ships this is a feature .

Thanks

Scotslizzy

NO, is my 'from the hip' answer to your question, though I am not sure that there is consistency across the fleet.

We were on Ocean this Christmas and I had the 'cheese board' most nights.

Every night, it was always the same two cheeses served on a plate.

I also like my cheeses - I live in France for 5 months of the year - and the best I can say of the two cheeses served is that they were not particularly memorable.

The reason I say that I am not sure there is consistency across the fleet, is that there were significant staffing issues on our cruise due to a large number of staff leaving early, reportedly for 'family reasons', just prior to our cruise and our table had very inexperienced waiters who clearly did not understand the 'system' so this may have been a factor.

Certainly the disparity of passengers' views on the quality of food, as discussed in this thread - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159281 was such that the differences in opinion could not easily be explained by differences in expectation or perception.

It may therefore be the case that my experience of the 'cheese board' on Ocean was not typical as I am sure I had much better cheese boards on previous cruises.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I like to order the cheese board and yes they do seem to trot out the same two cheeses.

However I usually ask my waiter if i could have a selection from cheeses avaialable in the kitchen and not just stated on the dessert menu. They usually oblige and if they know I like a certain type usually bring these out without me asking again.

We have had the cheese board and you will be disappointed. I've had great cheese courses in England and on Princess. No comparison. Yes, they include processed cheese.

However, if you talk to the head waiter, I'm sure they could make up a nice board for you to your liking. That's what I'd do.

Edited by kendon

Try the CG, I've had the cheese board there and it's great. They have a variety of cheeses and bring them to your table and slice off a piece from the ones you like or want to try. Haven't had it in a while, so it could have changed. We used to have it before dinner with a glass of wine then our meal would be served, I found I was always to full so stopped asking for it.

While on the Royal, we typically got a cheese plate from the International Cafe to have with our wine in the cabin while we are getting ready for dinner. It definately wasn't artisan, but there was a greater variety than with the dessert plate. I can't remember what time they were available, but I'm thinking after 6 since we had late traditional dining.

Does Princess have a good cheese board ?

By that I mean proper un-pasteurised cheeses not the generic Danish blue stuff that you get in any buffet etc .

If so is this a feature in the MDR or only in the speciality restaurants?

I appreciate that not everyone loves this type of thing but on some cruise ships this is a feature .

Thanks

Scotslizzy

They used to; however, not anymore. Now it's quite weak. Princess are you reading this. Hint hint.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

While on the Royal, we typically got a cheese plate from the International Cafe to have with our wine in the cabin while we are getting ready for dinner. It definately wasn't artisan, but there was a greater variety than with the dessert plate. I can't remember what time they were available, but I'm thinking after 6 since we had late traditional dining.

Sounds like IC is your best bet if you want a bit more variety for cheese. This is good to know! Thanks.