HAL vs Princess...

Debz62

Here are my observations about HAL vs Princess.

Princess has the edge:

Onboard entertainment (if you like big production shows) but this is more a function of ship size. Princess tends to have bigger ships

Onboard INTRANET - you can check you shipboard account 24/7 over the intranet and also get the deck plan, schedule of events etc. They also have an ATM type machine where you can swipe you cruise card and it spits out you account whenever you want.

Frequent cruiser benefits sooner. At the 50 day point you get some free internet minutes and priority embarkation line. You never get free internet on HAL and need 200 days to get the priority embark line

No difference I could tell - ship maintenance, food quality, crew service, cleanliness, general service and friendliness. Most of this depends on the particular people...most are very good...a few outstanding and the occasional rotten egg for both..

HAL has the edge

Room Service - HAL offers complete Hot Breakfast for all passengers every day (including disembarkation day). Princess offers continental breakfast and a egg mcmuffin and nothing on disembarkation day

Princess offers good fries for room service while HAL only offers chips

Disembarkation - HAL lets you stay in your room until your group is called to disembark - Princess makes you go to common areas at 8AM. Some argue that this allows Princess to let you board by 11AM and your room is ready. I never board that early so I can't say.

Other differences are more due to ship size and schedule....

Bottom line - I cruise em both - like em both - and will continue to use both going forward. I will give HAL the edge in case of a tie based on breakfast room service and disembarkation policy.

Absolutely agree with the above post from Pete and Judy.

If we were deciding between these two cruise lines it would come down to itinerary, ship, and price.

Especially ship. Most of HAL,s ships are older and smaller. The Princess fleet tends to consist of larger and newer ships. It may come down to the ship reviews and your personal preferences.

This may not impact any one else, but I have found Princess' mattresses to be exceptionally firm, when compared to the other cruise lines we have been on. We are going on our first HAL cruise in September and have been told that HAL has very comfortable mattresses. Has anyone whose done both Princess and HAL found this to be true?

This may not impact any one else, but I have found Princess' mattresses to be exceptionally firm, when compared to the other cruise lines we have been on. We are going on our first HAL cruise in September and have been told that HAL has very comfortable mattresses. Has anyone whose done both Princess and HAL found this to be true?

Yes, I used to consider Princess my favorite "mass market" line but the mattresses drove me to look at other options. I understand they are getting better though...

HAL does have a very nice mattress.

Hi Deb

>I am comparing the Westerdam to Sapphire Princess.

The SP is about 1/2 again as large as the W.

You can look at deck plans at

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise/Holland-America-Line/westerdam

For both ships to see what public amenities might be different.

Enjoy your visit.

We couldn't decide, so we are taking HAL NB and Princess SB.

Ira

That was the case on my first Princess cruise. They have been changing them though. Now, I consider mattress equal on both lines.

That was the case on my first Princess cruise. They have been changing them though. Now, I consider mattress equal on both lines.

I would second this. After 4 times on HAL, I was concerned going into our cruise on the Grand Princess, having had 3 back operations and quite sensitive to mattress issues. I couldn't find any difference on Princess, but again I can only speak to the Grand.

Too true about the awful rock hard mattresses on Princess - just ask the steward for a egg crate topper - they are used to the request and have many available. It helps immensely so you can sleep! Have not tried the newer mattress Princess is now 'installing' but it is a common complaint.

I would second this. After 4 times on HAL, I was concerned going into our cruise on the Grand Princess, having had 3 back operations and quite sensitive to mattress issues. I couldn't find any difference on Princess, but again I can only speak to the Grand.
I've been on the Golden and the Emerald this past year. My mattress on both ships was just as good (if not better) than what we have had on HAL. My previous cruise on the Emerald? Yep, that mattress was rock hard. :eek: I was very pleased that the reports of better mattresses were true for my recent cruise on her.

A few other differences on the Internet. HAL gives you free access to the New York Times website......very nice

Princess allows you to send an E card with about 400 characters I think to anyone for free. Couldn't find a free news site on Princess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few other differences on the Internet. HAL gives you free access to the New York Times website......very nice

Princess allows you to send an E card with about 400 characters I think to anyone for free. Couldn't find a free news site on Princess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So lets talk more about how the two lines treat their frequent cruisers with internet time. When DW and I recently cruised on the Ruby Princess (28 days) we were given 1,000 free internet minutes as a normal perk for our Elite status. But, when we recently cruised for 38 days on the Oosterdam we were give ZERO internet minutes despite our 4 Star Mariner status.

Hank

So lets talk more about how the two lines treat their frequent cruisers with internet time. When DW and I recently cruised on the Ruby Princess (28 days) we were given 1,000 free internet minutes as a normal perk for our Elite status. But, when we recently cruised for 38 days on the Oosterdam we were give ZERO internet minutes despite our 4 Star Mariner status.

Hank

Princess circle benefits blow HAL Mariner benefits out of the water, starting with the Internet benefits after six cruises. I feel Princess appreciates my business.

I thought the HAL mattresses were very good ten years ago with the launch of the "excellence" program but considerable time has passed and a big refresh is badly needed, based on our last cruising experience.

Ten, twelve fourteen years ago I thought HAL was a step up from Princess but now the reverse is true. Princess has greatly improved its food and service and is on the upswing.

Here is a comparison of Frequent Cruising Benefits. Princess rewards days and numbers of cruises. HAL only days but gives you a extra sea day for every $300 spent or double if you are in a suite. So an HAL 4 star is probably the same as an Princess elite.

You get better benefits sooner on Princess - Princess plat is about the same as a 3 star. Princess Plat you get free internet and priority check in. Don't need priority lounge on HAL since you wait in cabin.

Free laundry and priority tenders is the same at Elite or 4 star....HAL gives you better discounts on onboard stuff sooner...Princess gives you 10% off in the shops at the elite level...could be worth a lot depending....

Both lines give out a bunch of fluff...nice fluff but fluff....free pictures, etc

So lot depends on what you value...

Once you get 4 stars or Elite - things even out - Internet at the highest level is worth $350 on princess....1000 minutes per cabin...this is probably the best value of them all. HAL gives you 50% off 100 minutes at 5 star..so probably worth $70 bucks cabin

Figure laundry at $50 a week

If you eat once a week at a specialty - HAL saves you maybe $30?? other discounts on wine drinks....vary with your spend

Bottom line - if you don't use Internet - HAL is better at 4 star....If you do use Internet Princess is better....but in any case...total value of these isn't very much compared to the price of a cruise...

Value of not waiting in line for embark and tenders? It's up to you...

Princess

Gold

1 Cruise 1 Day

Intangibles only

Ruby

2 Cruises 31 Days

Free Trip Insurance Ugrade

10% discount on Cruise DVD

Platinum

6 Cruises 51 Days

Prefered Check In

Platinum Disembarkation Lounge

free Internet - 7 day cruise 150 minutes pp

8-20 days 250 minutes pp

over 21 500 minutes pp

Elite

15 Cruise 151 Days

Priority Tender

Shoe Shine Service

Free Laundry

Free Mini Bar set up - pay for refills

Deluxe Canapes Selection on Formal Nights

Afternoon Tea in Stateroom

10 % discount in onboard shops

Holland America

1 Star

1 Day

Intangibles

2 Star

30 Days

10% discount on logo items

3 Star

75 Days

25% discount on specialy restaraunts, wine packages, specialty coffees and mini bar

waive air deviation fees

4 Star

200 Days

Priority Tenders

Priortiy Check In

Priorty Disembarkation

Free Laundry

50% discount on specialy restaraunts, wine packages, specialty coffees and mini bar

15% discount on logo items

5 Star

500 Days

50% discount on 100 minute package once

2 Free Pinnacle Dinners (drinks not included)

Free Cooking Class

Presidents club

1400 Days

1400 actual days - no spend credit or suite bonus

A really nice pin and a free dinner with a HAL big shot

Edited by Pete and Judy

Just booked our first cruise with HAL. Alaska, May 2015. Have been on Princess and loved it. Wondering how the food, service, and entertainment compares to Princess. Also, what is the average age of passengers on HAL? We booked this cruise at a travel show and I didn't have any way of researching, but we were able to get this at a great price. Also, which do you feel is best, port side of starboard side when leaving from Seattle to Glacier Bay? We booked a veranda on the port side. The two travel agents we worked with couldn't agree as to which side was best or if there was a better side. We are booked on Westerdam.Thanks!

Ive only been on one princess cruise, which was a Caribbean, and two HAL cruises, Alaska and the Med. I liked HAL much more. Its definitely an older crowd... you will probably see a couple of scooters, though there are some younger folks too. I felt the ships were tidier. I also found it to be a quieter cruise.. but nothing wrong with that. Im not much into ship entertainment so I reallly can't comment on that..to me its all pretty much the same. I did find the cabins larger on HAL.

I think the itinerary and time of year are the biggest factors with age of guests....I suspect Caribbean always draws younger than Alaska...summer is younger than winter except over holidays etc...longer cruises are older than shorter .....now if you factor all that out...not sure where you would end up..

We have done both Princess and HAL.

We found service to be similar in the dining room.

We liked the ships we have been on on both lines. They each have some pros and cons.

We found the production shows on HAL to be a bit more sedate, more Lawrence Welk like then the shows on princess. The way I would describe it that most of the Princess shows focus on dancing with singing in support, whereas the HAL shows were more focused on singing with a lower level of dancing. Though I must say that on my last cruise on the Royal Princess one of the product shows was in the more sedate with little or no dancing that I had previously equated with HAL.

The summertime Alaska cruises on HAL have a much younger demographic then the longer trips during the school year.