Haven't booked yet...would love some advice!

Stephskitz

Hi everyone. My name is Stephanie from Pennsylvania and I am getting married in August of this year and we were thinking of doing a cruise for our honeymoon.

I'm really loving the sound of a 7 day Carnival cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore but my fiance is leaning towards a Royal Caribbean 5 night Bermuda cruise on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty.

Neither of us have been on a cruise before and would really love some advice on which to choose. If you have had experience with both cruise lines/ ships, what would you suggest?

Also, are there any free beaches in either destination. Or any other free excursions?

:confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I have cruised on both lines and either would be good for your honeymoon.And the beaches are mostly free but the excursions are not. You can read the reviews of both ship lines but take them with a grain of salt. When you choode the ship you can also check the cruise line forum and join the roll call for your ship and date.

There are three ways to get around a port. First would be an excursion offered by the ship. These can run from $30 or $40 per person to several hundred dollars for the real exotic ones. You won't see any on either of your choices, but there are some excursions offered on other cruises that are several thousand dollars.

Second, there are private excursions. These tend to be smaller groups and cheaper than those offered by the ship.

Third, is to go off on your own. This can be free or come with some transportation charges and entrance fees.

Hi everyone. My name is Stephanie from Pennsylvania and I am getting married in August of this year and we were thinking of doing a cruise for our honeymoon.

I'm really loving the sound of a 7 day Carnival cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore but my fiance is leaning towards a Royal Caribbean 5 night Bermuda cruise on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty.

Neither of us have been on a cruise before and would really love some advice on which to choose. If you have had experience with both cruise lines/ ships, what would you suggest?

The only thing the Pride has over LOS is 2 extra days. LOS has the better itinerary and is the much better ship. I'd choose LOS in this case. Google Image search these 2 ships and you'll see what I mean. Pride is one of the ugliest ships...interior...at sea.

IMO, Bahamas are not that great. Bermuda would be a more memorable honeymoon, and on a great ship.

I don't know the two ships, but I also think Bermuda is the better choice. The first time we were there, we took low-cost public busses and a local ferry, walked around and went to three beaches none of which charged. This was in July. The second time was in November, no beach weather in my book but sunny and warm enough for exploring the area. Check your library for a Bermuda guide book.

Make sure you bring proof of citizenship and picture id on your cruise; passports fulfill both requirements and are best in case you have to fly back!

Also, are there any free beaches in either destination. Or any other free excursions?

skip the Bahamas. do a BERMUDA trip, preferably one that has 2 overnights instead of just one. wandering around port is free. most beaches have no or a nominal fee to access. Bermuda's public transit system is inexpensive and you can buy an all access pass that covers the entire time the ship is on port. doing a little pre trip research can yield walking yours( grab a Frommer's guide for the destination)

of the two lines I prefer Royal. Our Carnival cruise kept getting interrupted by annoying announcements every 5 minutes, and you could not escape them in the cabin. while it wasn't a honeymoon, it was a "welcome back from deploying damn near a year and let's just relax" trip which we didn't get much in due to the frenetic energy on board that seemed be to be 24/7.

T Pride is one of the ugliest ships...interior...at sea.

I TOTALLY agree. It was an assault on my senses when we boarded her. and she did NOTHING to make me hate her any less as the week went on. the crew was the only thing that saved that ship/trip from being a complete waste of money and time.

Thank you all for your input! We have actually decided on a Royal Caribbean 6 day cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas!

We get an extra day and everyone here has told me that Bermuda is better.

I just hope the Grandeur is a good ship.

The Liberty had zip-lining, ice skating, and mini-golf but I think I can live without those in exchange for an extra day.

Edited by Stephskitz

Thank you all for your input! We have actually decided on a Royal Caribbean 6 day cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas!

The Liberty had zip-lining, ice skating, and mini-golf but I think I can live without those in exchange for an extra day.

she's lovely..small, but very well maintained. and the Baltimore port is a BREEZE to embark from. the Solarium is nice, quiet and ADULT ONLY by the pool/hot tub.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. A cruise is a wonderful way to celebrate. Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line. We much prefer it over Carnival. I think you will both enjoy the experience. Take lots of pictures. If you can afford it, book a room with a balcony.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I've been on ten Carnival cruises, including the Carnival Pride in 2004 and I have been on eleven Royal Caribbean cruises, including a sister ship to the Liberty of the Seas.

The Carnival Spirit class of ships (the Pride is a Spirit class ship) is my favorite class of Carnival ships (though I have not been on the Dream class yet). The Liberty of the Seas is twice the size of the Pride and thus offers more.

The Carnival Pride has a water slide. Royal Caribbean does not. The Liberty of the Seas has a rock wall, a Flowrider (a surfing simulator) and an H2O Zone which is for the younger kids. Carnival does not have any of these on the Pride. Both ships have lounges, a theater, pools (the typical cruise ship stuff).

Both lines attract the same kind of passengers. Mostly young people (your age) and young families. Active people looking to have fun. A five day cruise might attract more "party hearty" types than a one week cruise.

The Pride spends two days at sea, a day at Port Canaveral, a day at Nassau a 1/2 day at Freeport and 1 1/2 days returning to Baltimore. I'm not sure what interested you in this cruise, but if it is the Bahamas, you are only going to spend a day and a half there.

The Liberty OTS spends a day at sea, two days and one night docked in Bermuda and another day returning to NJ. So, if your goal is to see Bermuda, this will certainly provide you with what you want.

Personally neither cruise interests me. I have been to Port Canaveral before (not for a port visit, but rather to begin or end a cruise) and I'll be there again in April (to begin and end a cruise). I would recommend going to the Kennedy Space Center.

I have been to Nassau twice. To me it is not the most interesting place in the world. You might find visiting Atlantis fun. I have not been to Freeport.

I've been to Bermuda. Again, not the most interesting place for me.

No free excursions. However, I am sure there are free beaches (I'm not a beach person). I believe you'll need to take a taxi to get to the beach. Check in the ports of all section for more information on the places you are going to visit. If you do go to Bermuda, by a good travel book, since you are going to spend two days and a night there, you'll want to know where are the best places to go.

We took the 6 day Bermuda cruise on Grandeur in late September 2013. Our only regret was that we didn't book the 7 night. This was our first cruise ever, and we loved the ship. If you are going after schools are back in session, you will have a relatively kid-free cruise. We had less than 40 or so kids on our cruise, and several wedding parties and honeymooning couples. Liberty is a great ship, but an extra day is much better.

Enjoy and congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good decision! Look forward to having a wonderful time! :D

LuLu

The Grandeur is a Vision class ship. I have not been on the Grandeur, but I have toured the Vision OTS twice and I have cruised on the Legend OTS and the Enchantment OTS, but of which are also Vision class ships.

The Grandeur is an older ship. It has less to offer than the Carnival Pride. The Grandeur entered service in 1996. The Pride entered service in 2001 and the Liberty entered service in 2007.

As to the time spent in Bermuda, it is basically the same as the Liberty, just that you are spending 1/2 day, full day, 1/2 day instead of two full days. However, you do gain an extra night if you are interested in the Bermuda night life. I suggest exploring the dock area on the last day, as you will need to re-board the ship by 11:30am and you do not want to miss the ship!

Here are some pictures of the area where you will dock ...

D18-A.jpg

D18-B.jpg

D18-C.jpg

Make sure your captain does not decide to park in front of this canon ...

D18-F.jpg

We took the 6 day Bermuda cruise on Grandeur in late September 2013. Our only regret was that we didn't book the 7 night. This was our first cruise ever, and we loved the ship. If you are going after schools are back in session, you will have a relatively kid-free cruise. We had less than 40 or so kids on our cruise, and several wedding parties and honeymooning couples. Liberty is a great ship, but an extra day is much better.

Enjoy and congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going mid-September so it might be kid free, but who knows. Not that it woud bother me too much either way.