Cheapest way to get from Seattle Airport to Cruise Port?

twokids0204

which pier? how many people?

If it's pier 66, and you can easily manage your luggage, you can take the Light Rail from Seatac to Westlake Center downtown for $3 pp. Then walk a few blocks to the elevator down to the pier. (or catch a cab for the last leg for $10)

Otherwise if you use the taxi line at Seatac, it's about $40. The flat rate taxi company is $30 http://www.flatrateforhire.com

Pier 91 is about 5 miles north of downtown, so a taxi is $7/8 more.

Edited by mapleleaves

• 3 months later...

Hi epixx,

Thanks for the info. Was trying to find the most affordable and proven way to get from Seattle Tacoma airport to Pier 91 for a HAL Alaskan cruise, for a party of 6.

Was this the route you took? Sorry I couldn't paste the trip planner photo...

SoundTransit

From SeaTac Airport

Train - Sound Transit (MLink Light Rail to Seattle)

Arrive Pioneer Square Station Bay A

Walk from Pioneer Square Station Bay A to 3rd Ave & James St

Bus - King County Metro (24 W Magnolia)

Arrive Magnolia Brdg & Pier 91

Walk from Magnolia Brdg & Pier 91 to Pier 91

Hi epixx,

Thanks for the info. Was trying to find the most affordable and proven way to get from Seattle Tacoma airport to Pier 91 for a HAL Alaskan cruise, for a party of 6.

SoundTransit

From SeaTac Airport

Yikes!

Besides the huge hassle, how long would it take?

Frankly, I'd rather spend more and get to the pier on time and relatively relaxed!

Hi epixx,

SoundTransit

From SeaTac Airport

Just be aware that there is walking involved at both ends of the Light Rail. At SeaTac it's a 7-10 walk from the baggage carousel to the station. Basically you're walking thru the airport parking structure so it's flat, and covered.

I'm not familiar with the bus route .... it's all well and good if the weather cooperates. If its raining, ride the rail to the last stop, Westlake then grab 2 cabs to take you to the pier... $15 per cab. So instead of spending $15 for 6 bus fares it will be $30 for 2 cabs.

If you go to the WEST COAST DEPARTURES board, there's a STICKY about Seattle .... the last thread is about transportation options and includes info on the bus.

Hi epixx,

SoundTransit

From SeaTac Airport

Sounds like a huge hassle to avoid hiring a taxi.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hi epixx,

SoundTransit

From SeaTac Airport

You’ve got to be kidding me. Are we talking about 2 adults and 4 kids? How long do you think it’ll take you to get from Sea-Tac to Pier 91 by taking the light rail and then Metro out to Magnolia? The bus stop for Pier 91 is on top of the Magnolia Bridge, and then you have to navigate the stairs to the head of the Pier and then walk the 2000 feet to the terminal? There’s no way I’d even consider doing this.

Wouldn't be my choice either ... not because of the hassle but because they're flying in the day of departure.

6 people and luggage will need 2 taxis, so about $35 per car from SeaTac to pier 91 if they use eastsideforhire.com ($50 per cab if they use Yellow Cab at the airport).

Light Rail is $3pp plus the bus is $2.50 pp, so $33 total.

Half the cost, but 3 times the travel time.

http://www.seattleyellowcab.com

Seattle Yellow cab is located on airport. Per their web site:

"Our cab stands are located on the 3rd*floor of the north & south parking garages and almost always have a supply of waiting taxis. We*also have large 8-10 passenger vans available."

That sounds like your best option for a group of 6

Sent from my Nexus 7

The cheapest way was to have my brother drive us to the port after we dropped off our rental car at the airport. The cab fare back to the airport after the cruise wasn't too bad, but it helped that our cruise disembarked on a Sunday morning when there wasn't much traffic.

Thanks all for your feedback. I really do appreciate everyone's 2cent on this thought...

- 6 adults, early 30's and early 60's.

- I do realize there will be walking involved at the airport, the transfer, and to the cruise terminal (< 0.5 mile). My thinking was we would walk much more during a single port visit than this so it shouldn't be bad at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- We do fly in on the day of departure. We get in SeaTac around 10:30am. Assuming getting on the light-rail at 11:10am, Google Maps as well as King County Metro stated it should be take 1hr 15 minutes for the entire trip. Worse case 2 hrs and not leaving airport until 11:30am, we would still get there around 1:30pm and still have time to check-in before the ship's 4:00pm departure.

- From taxifarefinder.com, fare from SeaTac to Smith Cover Pier 91 would be $61 per cab. Also take into fact that cab might not be available right away, possible traffic, etc.

After the info provided above, do you guys still think I'm crazy to suggest taking public transit? Please advise.

Thanks!!

Crazy? No. We've taken LINK into town with large suitcases just fine, but buses suck with big suitcases - I agree with the 'LINK to Westlake then cab from there' suggestion unless you're traveling with carryons only.

But in case you have longer-than-expected delays on the flight, I would strongly suggest budgeting for a car service all the way from SEA and having the contact details so you can get hold of them.

I've used EastSideForHire, who have fixed rates based on distance (postcode to postcode - Pier91 from Seatac is $35 per car for regular car, would hold 3 of you plus luggage; contact them about larger vehicles as prob. cheaper than getting 2 cars and of course you can then all travel together). At least one regular local poster finds Uber as good or better and comparably priced without surge rates, and with 6 of you the STILA walkup airport cars might even end up a similar price for one big vehicle (you'd have to call them to check, (206) 243-1811, they don't seem to have a website I can find).

Basically if you save up $80 in transport funds, and everything works out as you hope, you can use the savings to buy a drink in celebration when you board. If the proverbial hits the fan, at least you won't have spent more than anticipated

Thanks all for your feedback. I really do appreciate everyone's 2cent on this thought...

- 6 adults, early 30's and early 60's.

- I do realize there will be walking involved at the airport, the transfer, and to the cruise terminal (< 0.5 mile). My thinking was we would walk much more during a single port visit than this so it shouldn't be bad at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- We do fly in on the day of departure. We get in SeaTac around 10:30am. Assuming getting on the light-rail at 11:10am, Google Maps as well as King County Metro stated it should be take 1hr 15 minutes for the entire trip. Worse case 2 hrs and not leaving airport until 11:30am, we would still get there around 1:30pm and still have time to check-in before the ship's 4:00pm departure.

- From taxifarefinder.com, fare from SeaTac to Smith Cover Pier 91 would be $61 per cab. Also take into fact that cab might not be available right away, possible traffic, etc.

After the info provided above, do you guys still think I'm crazy to suggest taking public transit? Please advise.

Thanks!!

What happens if your flight is delayed or possibly canceling? Then, you have bus delays, traffic, etc. You could very well miss the ship! Wow, all this hassle and possibly missing the ship just to save $120! It makes no sense! I hope you have insurance!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Walking around a port sightseeing is way different than schlepping luggage thru town especially if it's raining.

Bottom line .... if you're using public transportation because that's what your budget can handle, go for it; it's do-able. But as martincath said ... the buses don't accommodate suitcases. The link trains have wide aisles so they're ok.

But if you can afford $70, reserve 2 cabs with eastsideforhire to meet you at the airport. No fuss, no schlepping luggage .... just a phone call to let them know you're ready and they'll be there in 5 minutes.

Walking around a port sightseeing is way different than schlepping luggage thru town especially if it's raining.

Bottom line .... if you're using public transportation because that's what your budget can handle, go for it; it's do-able. But as martincath said ... the buses don't accommodate suitcases. The link trains have wide aisles so they're ok.

But if you can afford $70, reserve 2 cabs with eastsideforhire to meet you at the airport. No fuss, no schlepping luggage .... just a phone call to let them know you're ready and they'll be there in 5 minutes.

Already There town car is another option. They have vehicles (big SUVs) that can accommodate 6 people and luggage. From where I live, we could drive to the port and pay long term parking, but for only $20-30 more (round trip), I can have them pick us up, load our luggage, deal with the stress of Seattle traffic and drop us off right at the pier. To me, it's a much nicer way to start a vacation and well worth the extra cost.

We did Uber for $25. So easy to do. We've done Link for other trips and no, I wouldn't do it for the cruise unless we left super early. We were gonna do Link to Westlake and cab from there but the hour + trip plus fighting with luggage wasn't worth the stress.

We have used AJ Towncar Services four times and he is VERY good and prompt. Call him for a free quote and also reserve with no money down if the price is to your liking. Tell him Charlene says HELLO!!! I think it is $50 from airport to Pier 91 and $20 from downtown Seattle to Pier 91.... plus tip :-) (206)697-5577 Give him a call :D

Hi epixx,

SoundTransit

From SeaTac Airport

Just a word of warning..Pioneer Square Station to 3rd and James is a STEEP climb, especially with luggage and kids. Also, there is a homeless shelter directly across the station, so there are quite a few homeless in the area asking for money, etc. I really think your best option would be to use flat rate for hire or some other company others here have suggested.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Found out that this weekend (5/30~31 == my trip) and next (6/6~7) LINK will only have partial service [last stop at Stadium Station from SeaTac with free shuttle to Westlake] due to maintenance.

From many of you, looks like I will make a reservation with eastsideforhire. I was initially apprehensive due to their low Yelp reviews but will give it a try. Worst case scenario there is still waiting at the cab line.

I heard eastsideforhire pick up from the DEPARTURE area. Is this what you all have experienced?

Thank you once again....

Hi there,

For what it's worth we took a HI Express Hotel package that included a nights accommodation and mini-bus transfers to and from the airport - no problem on the way out, but about an hours wait on the way back - quite chaotic as two ships were unloading at the same time.

The reason for posting is that we got to the terminal (HAL) quite early so we walked back into the city - there's a nice flat well marked pathway around Elliot Bay managed as a Country Park - took about an hours walk to reach the tourist area by the aquarium. To our surprise we saw a few people (crew?) walking to the ship with all their luggage in tow - it's a long walk - but with wheeled luggage and a nice day some folk do it that way! I watch the pennies but even for me this would be an economy too far!!

Before we did the walk we checked in our luggage with no problems - one tip is you need photo id and proof of a cruise to get back into the port complex. There's two exits from the port of foot - one up to the raised roadway (where I think you can catch the local bus) the second exists at ground level onto the bay footpath/cycle route.