Avoiding Noro if cabin mate gets sick

zanzibargirl

So, we are heading out on the Allure on Sunday (gulp - hopefully they have the Noro outbreak under control) but just wondering how one would avoid getting sick if one's cabin mate comes down with the virus? Hope I don't have to be faced with that, but I would wonder how some people succeed in not getting sick if their spouse or cabin mate is? Presumably the noro...um particles....would be all over - especially the bathroom? :eek:

Maybe bring lysol-type wipes and wipe things down as you go in. Obviously lots of hand washing (which you should be vigilant about anyway). Ask to make sure that the seat is down before flushing (there have been some contradictory statements regarding the actual spray of molecules from the toilet flushing, but hey, every little bit helps, right?). Other than being cautious about what you're touching and staying as clean as you can a contagious virus is a contagious virus.

For some reason, not everyone who is around a "noro infected" person will get sick...dont' know why! Maybe there's some immunity there...or you're just a bit "sturdier" than most...who knows!

I got it from my kids (not on a cruise!! Kids are germ factories!))...but my hubby did NOT catch it...and we were sleeping in a double bed...that's pretty damn close, and sharing 1 bath..... Good thing...we needed his paycheck!!! Lol....there's no way to tell who will get it, or IF you'll get it!

My DH got noro on a cruise and I never did even though I was with him and never left the cabin the entire time (48 hours) and he was really sick ... even slept in the same bed and helped him in the bathroom.

My friend got noro on a cruise and her DH never did and he was with her the entire time.

Strange how some get it and others don't even when very exposed. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Like others have said, being exposed doesn't mean you'll get Noro, but does increase the chance.

Also, about 30 percent of people who get Noro are asymptomatic; so you can be infected and spreading the virus without any ill effects yourself.

So, we are heading out on the Allure on Sunday (gulp - hopefully they have the Noro outbreak under control) but just wondering how one would avoid getting sick if one's cabin mate comes down with the virus? Hope I don't have to be faced with that, but I would wonder how some people succeed in not getting sick if their spouse or cabin mate is? Presumably the noro...um particles....would be all over - especially the bathroom? :eek:

I believe that if one cabin mate is quarantined for noro, everyone in that cabin is also put under quarantine, whether they get sick or not.

I believe that if one cabin mate is quarantined for noro, everyone in that cabin is also put under quarantine, whether they get sick or not.

I got noro the last couple of days of our 7 day cruise a couple of years ago. I was quarantined but my wife was not. She also did not get sick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also, about 30 percent of people who get Noro are asymptomatic; so you can be infected and spreading the virus without any ill effects yourself.

I was going to call BS on this, but I looked it up and it's actually true (some studies have it as low as 12%, but the 30% is just as supported). Good on you for actually giving true facts--not everyone does.

Remember: Unlike a cough or influenza, the Norovirus is not airborne.

Washing your hands frequently and not sharing food, cups, silverware is your best bet!

This is a great point. I got Norovirus at home, but I made sure to constantly wash my hands and not share food or drink with DH, and he also made sure to wash his hands all the time, so he never caught it. You don't catch it from being in the same room or bed. If you both make sure to wash your hands you should be good.

The infected person needs to ensure good personal hygiene as well. The contamination is coming from his/her fecal matter, so washing hands after using the bathroom or after vomiting is of prime importance, even though they will not feel like washing (you feel like death).

Also, do not eat anything with your hands. Even if they send a burger and fries as room service, use utensils. A prime transmission vector is via finger food.

The infected person needs to ensure good personal hygiene as well. The contamination is coming from his/her fecal matter, so washing hands after using the bathroom or after vomiting is of prime importance, even though they will not feel like washing (you feel like death).

Also, do not eat anything with your hands. Even if they send a burger and fries as room service, use utensils. A prime transmission vector is via finger food.

Note to self- watch what you read when eating breakfast :-)

One rule I try to live by on a cruise ship is to never use public washrooms. I don't always succeed in that but if I'm really forced to use a public bathroom because my room is too far away, I make sure I wash my hands exceptionally well and use a paper towel to handle door knobs and so on. I also never touch a toilet seat - always use my feet, provided I'm not wearing flip flops.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

OP, I have read that eating yogurt daily is beneficial for your gut health; yogurt is available on cruises so have a cup at breakfast, and practice good hygiene. This will, at least, help your chances to not get it if roomie does.

There is not enough probiotics in yoghurt to really make a difference. even in brands such as Activia.

It takes approx. 3-4 weeks for a probiotic to balance the proper intestinal microflora. A multi strain probiotic is best to take as well.

Edited by vacation_junkie

For some reason, not everyone who is around a "noro infected" person will get sick...dont' know why! Maybe there's some immunity there...or you're just a bit "sturdier" than most...who knows!

I got it from my kids (not on a cruise!! Kids are germ factories!))...but my hubby did NOT catch it...and we were sleeping in a double bed...that's pretty damn close, and sharing 1 bath..... Good thing...we needed his paycheck!!! Lol....there's no way to tell who will get it, or IF you'll get it!

Yes, amazing that it can happen. I think of times when my children were little and had flu bugs and I thankfully never caught it. As a parent caring for them, you're right in the middle of it all, too.

I had a horrible bout of Noro on Carnival Dream in 2012 and was amazed that my husband never got ill.

Washing your hands frequently and not sharing food, cups, silverware is your best bet!

Not quite like cough or influenza, but unfortunately there is some evidence vomiting people can spread Norovirus to others via air. Vomiting can propel virus further than one wants to imagine. So, just as you'd want to put some distance between yourself and a coughing person, try to stay away for the one vomiting from noro if you can. A recognize that virus may have settled on bathroom surfaces, so take extra care with hygiene (like shutting off faucet and opening door with tissue).

Incorrect, that is such a common misconception.

It can also be spread by droplets that are airborne during a vomiting episode. These droplets can then be inhaled by other people within close enough distance.

Edited by vacation_junkie

I was going to call BS on this, but I looked it up and it's actually true (some studies have it as low as 12%, but the 30% is just as supported). Good on you for actually giving true facts--not everyone does.

It is true..you can be a carrier of the virus without actually experiencing any symptoms.

FYI:

The toilet will flush even with the seat up.

I dont know noro is a strange virus. If I was thinking about trying to avoid it i would lysol wipe down and try not to touch alot of the stuff my cabin mate touches. The last few cruises I bought some .99 cent packs of lysol wipes from the store ..

I had Noro on the Adventure last year and was quarantined for 3 days. I was sharing with my husband and daughter, and neither of them became sick, thank goodness. Of course we were extra vigilant about not touching each other's glasses, cups, towels etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums