Maybe a silly question

luv-my-kids

I am just curious..............If we request the room not to be cleaned. Will they respect our wishes? Our last cruise was with Celebrity. I was told that I have NO CHOICE.....they have to come in and clean the room and make the beds daily. I was wondering if Princess would respect our wishes.

Would you mind saying why you wouldn't want your room cleaned? Well not that it matters. I can see it on a 3 day cruise, maybe. But it really is a nice part about cruising. Gives you that Pampered feeling, Queen for a day, LOL I know sometimes I haven't wanted the turn down service and just put out the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. They never come in if you hang this on your door. But I would definitely let my steward know if I were not require any services. They think your up to something??? :rolleyes: Are you thinking this way to beable to remove your tips maybe? :confused:

Why on earth don't you want your room cleaned? Call me suspicious, but that would raise all kinds of red flags with me.* If you don't want your bed made, just politely ask the steward to skip that step. If you're just wanting to keep him out unilaterally, see my second sentence.

*What the heck are they doing in there? Setting up a meth lab? Running a call-girl ring? Building a portable nuclear device?

Would you mind saying why you wouldn't want your room cleaned? Well not that it matters. I can see it on a 3 day cruise, maybe. But it really is a nice part about cruising. Gives you that Pampered feeling, Queen for a day, LOL I know sometimes I haven't wanted the turn down service and just put out the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. They never come in if you hang this on your door. But I would definitely let my steward know if I were not require any services. They think your up to something??? :rolleyes: Are you thinking this way to beable to remove your tips maybe? :confused:

Sure......I have a heart condition with a weakened immune system. Whenever we board the ship my awesome finance wipes our room down with lysol wipes from head to toe. We feel like it is "our clean place".

Well on our last cruise we saw the room attendant cleaning the neighbors bathroom with gloves, he then goes in the room next door to it and removed their neighbors personal belongings off the bed and makes the bed. We noticed this because another couple had stopped me in the hall asking me where I bought my shoes. He never even removed the dirty bathroom gloves before he removed the neighbors personal stuff off the bed and made it. That is just gross.

Also on another cruise we entered our room as out attendant was making our bed, he had placed our pillows on the floor and picked them up and placed the on the clean sheets. (I did ask for clean pillow cases & new sheets)

I just want as little germs as possible in our room. It may sound silly to others, but I have to be careful, a common cold could hospitalize me.

Before people say....a cruise ship is very dirty and full of germs. YOU ARE RIGHT. I am always careful and out of 10 cruises we have been on I have never gotten sick. ( knocking on wood)

I'm not going to live in a bubble and my doctor gives her permission, but want to be as careful as possible. We do not mind cleaning our own room. Also every time someone enters it we have to re sanitize it. It would just be easier to clean up after our self's.

**** No we do not want to remove our tips. We always tip extra to the dining staff, kids club workers, room attendants ect.

Edited by luv-my-kids

While I am certain there are certain cleanliness standards they must adhere to (e.g. clean sheets every 3-4 days), it would never hurt to ask, given your medical situation.

Pre-cruise you want to alert the ship's doctor, and on the cruise talk to the steward and his/her manager, all the way up to the Hotel Manager onboard. They should be able to tell you the requirements they are required to adhere to and which can be bypassed. For instance a steward may be monitored by the manager per checklist of activities, and could be reprimanded if required cleaning is not done, so best to involve at least the manager.

I would also recommend a balcony cabin is a must, as this allows you to open the door for an air exchange daily rather than breathing recycled air all cruise.

Can't hurt to ask, and to learn the requirements.

While I am certain there are certain cleanliness standards they must adhere to (e.g. clean sheets every 3-4 days), it would never hurt to ask, given your medical situation.

Pre-cruise you want to alert the ship's doctor, and on the cruise talk to the steward and his/her manager, all the way up to the Hotel Manager onboard. They should be able to tell you the requirements they are required to adhere to and which can be bypassed. For instance a steward may be monitored by the manager per checklist of activities, and could be reprimanded if required cleaning is not done, so best to involve at least the manager.

I would also recommend a balcony cabin is a must, as this allows you to open the door for an air exchange daily rather than breathing recycled air all cruise.

Can't hurt to ask, and to learn the requirements.

Thanks for your helpful response. When we board we will defiantly ask for the room stewards manager and explain our situation. It's also notated in our booking about the medical issue.

You are right about the balcony, we were going to book an inside room. We called backed and changed our mind to a balcony. It's so nice to sit there in the warm fresh air.

For instance a steward may be monitored by the manager per checklist of activities, and could be reprimanded if required cleaning is not done, so best to involve at least the manager.

They are definitely monitored and managers can (and will) do follow-up inspections. Last cruise, we happened to return to our cabin as the supervisor was doing a follow-up check with our steward, who, by the way, was far and away the best steward we have had. We made sure the manager was made aware of that fact - thanks again, Cyrel!!! :)

Your plan to speak with a supervisor should work out fine for all concerned.

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

Well on our last cruise we saw the room attendant cleaning the neighbors bathroom with gloves, he then goes in the room next door to it and removed their neighbors personal belongings off the bed and makes the bed. We noticed this because another couple had stopped me in the hall asking me where I bought my shoes. He never even removed the dirty bathroom gloves before he removed the neighbors personal stuff off the bed and made it. That is just gross.

...and probably while bringing ice!

OP, thanks for clarifying your reasoning. I wouldn't want to be sleeping on a pillow that had been on a dirty cabin floor either.

A person spends about 7 - 8 hours breathing in those germs. In public areas things you touch with your hands can be washed off of your hands.

Thanks for your helpful response. When we board we will defiantly ask for the room stewards manager and explain our situation.

Perhaps you should DEFINITELY ask for the room steward's manager, rather than doing it DEFIANTLY. :)

Part of cabin cleaning is a passenger safety check. As in 'have you been using your cabin?'On your part it's as simple as exchanging towels.

A few years back a couple put the Do Not Disturb sign up on the second day of the cruise. Room Steward honored the sign and discovered an empty cabin at debarkation. Couple jumped overboard.

Carnival Paradise out of Long Beach, January 2009.

Edited by SadieN

Part of cabin cleaning is a passenger safety check. As in 'have you been using your cabin?'On your part it's as simple as exchanging towels.

A few years back a couple put the Do Not Disturb sign up on the second day of the cruise. Room Steward honored the sign and discovered an empty cabin at debarkation. Couple jumped overboard.

Carnival Paradise out of Long Beach, January 2009.

Maybe the OP, in addition to the steps above --eg. talking with the hotel manager,etc -- can include allowing the cabin steward to check in with her (or her husband) every couple of days to make sure they don't have any needs (toilet roll replaced, etc.).

I am sure they will comply with any reasonable request, such as changing to fresh gloves or washing their hands before cleaning or entering your cabin. Just kindly ask the supervisor and the room steward for what you need, explaining your situation. I find the level of service on princess to be above and beyond.

On our last cruise, my husband got sick (not norovirus, fortunately) and went to the medical center. He was confined to the cabin until his fever broke. Our regular cabin steward was not allowed to provide any services to us, even supplying us with ice, but instead, two specially trained crew members came in, thoroughly sanitized the cabin, changed the bedding, towels, etc., got ice for us, etc. fortunately, the fever broke the next day, but the crew was back earlier that day to repeat the cleaning. Let the steward and medical center know of your needs, and they should take care of it.

Sure......I have a heart condition with a weakened immune system. Whenever we board the ship my awesome finance wipes our room down with lysol wipes from head to toe. We feel like it is "our clean place".

Very best of luck to you. Don't touch the handrails!

I can understand why you have to be careful. I've been in a hospital toilet and had to follow a woman who hadn't washed her hands. I couldn't work out how to get out of the room without touching the handle! Some people have no idea.