Washing!

Esilef

What do people do about washing their clothes whilst on board a Cruiseship?

We are on rhapsody of the seas and there is no self service laundry.

Last time we were on voyager but had an aft balcony cabin, where I placed a travel clothesline and hand washed.

This time we are inside.

Due to there being only me & my 6 yr old I can only take a back pack and limited clothes for 16 days.

I don't want to be the smelly dirty family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You may have the quick dry "backpacker friendly" fabric clothes but a back packing tip is when you have hand washed and wrung the article out as much as you can THEN wrap in a towel and "tread" them. It is amazing how much extra damp that can remove. Hopefully there will be a line in the shower you can use to hang them on.

(Or pray for very warm days and you can wear your swimmers for most of the time during the day!! )

Hope you and your son have a wonderful time. Appreciate it will be challenging but wishing as smooth a time as possible.

An elastic line in the room by the A/C vent, will dry things over night, but I am only talking about hand washing smalls (undies, etc) and swimmers in the shower or hand basin. Everything else either goes to the laundry or waits until we are home.:D

We wash, not only our 'smalls' but other items as well. We wring them out, then squeeze inside a towel before hanging either on the line in the shower, or on a hanger in the main part of the cabin. We do this before we go to bed, and virtually every item will be dry by morning.:) Take pegs with you!

By the way, with a balcony, passengers shouldn't put their laundry outside to dry.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

We hand wash just about everything and hang them on the clothes line in the bathroom and also on hangers around the cabin. most things will dry over night but if not by the next day. I always keep my cabin fairly tidy so I don't think it upsets the steward too much.

Cheers

I use the retractable line in the shower to peg them to and leave them there untill they stop dripping, they can then be hung on a line (a travel clothes line we bring with us and attach somewhere high in the room) in the cabin if you need to wash some more items.

Even t-shirts dry over night.

Karryl

I have been meaning to put this in the ultimate packing guide.

Why wash your jocks, just throw them away in the bin, a pack of 10 costs $10 at Big W, and they weigh 493 grams, so there is 493 grams more duty free you can get in your bag. :D

jocks.jpg.bd77bb0ddf16e7393bbd003a5ccecd6f.jpg

Edited by 6666oz

Why wash your jocks, just throw them away in the bin, a pack of 10 costs $10 at Big W, and they weigh 493 grams, so there is 493 grams more duty free you can get in your bag. :D

Yes, I have been guilty of leaving various clothing items, including my undies all over the world.:o

Edited by MicCanberra

I had a pair of shoes which were badly damaged so I decided to throw them in the bin of the cabin. When our room steward cleaned our room he took them out and placed them neatly in a corner. I ended up throwing them out in Fiji.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a pair of shoes which were badly damaged so I decided to throw them in the bin of the cabin. When our room steward cleaned our room he took them out and placed them neatly in a corner. I ended up throwing them out in Fiji.

Heh, I had the same happen to me. They were really badly worn too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a pair of jeans (badly worn and a hole in the inner thigh) that I had thrown out in a NYC hotel taken out of the bin and folded neatly on the bed. I put them out in the bins by the vending machines and ice maker the next day.:o

To the OP, given there is only you and a six year old, why can you only take a backpack? I would have thought a smallish case (plus backpack) would be easy to handle. Have also seen kids arriving with their small wheely cases.

Regarding washing - we wash our smalls - squeeze the lay in towel , roll up vertically, then put one foot on the end and twist the towel as tightly as you can. We hang the smalls in the wardrobe in the morning before the cabin is cleaned, then put them out again (just a foible on our part). We send other things to the laundry - we suck it in and pay, not worth losing sleep over!

To the OP, given there is only you and a six year old, why can you only take a backpack? I would have thought a smallish case (plus backpack) would be easy to handle. Have also seen kids arriving with their small wheely cases.

Regarding washing - we wash our smalls - squeeze the lay in towel , roll up vertically, then put one foot on the end and twist the towel as tightly as you can. We hang the smalls in the wardrobe in the morning before the cabin is cleaned, then put them out again (just a foible on our part). We send other things to the laundry - we suck it in and pay, not worth losing sleep over!

Agreed.:D

If we're gone long enough and on a ship without a laundry we send a bag or two out, if there is a laundry the bride lkes to do it herself.

She usually takes some clothes pegs for the hand wash, as said a towel helps get rid of a lot of the water, then if there is no line peg them to a coathanger and hang near the air con vent dry in no time.

She won't hang her guzzunders on the balcony, I think she worries someone will get excited.:D

I take a scrubba wash bag - works well especially when you only have a shower - plus a small bottle of liquid clothes wash. The scrubba is expensive though and only worth it if you travel a lot - an alternative is a very large snap lock bag. Agree with all of the other comments - especially using towels to wring out most of the water and hanging damp clothes in the closet. They usually have a special on RCI ships mid cruise where you get a bag of tshirts, undies, pjs, shorts, socks washed for $30 dollars. If you are careful about how you fill the bag you will be amazed at how much you can fit in!

On Day 5, Royal will offer a Wash and Fold service that is pretty reasonable. As much as you can put into the bag. They will specific it is for, PJs, swimsuits, undergarments and gym wear (i.e. shorts and t-shirts) and NOT to try and slip in jeans or such or you will be charged. Its $25 (or it was in October).

you can fit a lot into it, by rolling it up carefully.

I've attached a pix, just click on it to see the size.

661455637_laundrybag.jpg.62fce8aeca8672e1d6d20abad96f38aa.jpg

Great feedback!

To answer a question. The reason why I can only take a back pack is that my 6 yr old is serverly autistic. Hubby is off on the Kokoda trek & I'm travelling alone.

My son is a runner & follows no rules. He will take off on me so I need to have my running shoes on at all times and my hands free. Yes I need to learn how to rugby tackle him. He is non verbal.

He broke into the colosseum in rome when he was 3. I had no choice but to chase him into there which meant pushing passed tourists & security guards and ducking under barriers. I got to him but it wasn't easy. Security were so shocked they let us go (wish they would have apprehended the bugger so I didn't have to run). This is why I take no chances in having normal luggage. He will have his own mini backpack to slow him down.

Great feedback!

To answer a question. The reason why I can only take a back pack is that my 6 yr old is serverly autistic. Hubby is off on the Kokoda trek & I'm travelling alone.

My son is a runner & follows no rules. He will take off on me so I need to have my running shoes on at all times and my hands free. Yes I need to learn how to rugby tackle him. He is non verbal.

He broke into the colosseum in rome when he was 3. I had no choice but to chase him into there which meant pushing passed tourists & security guards and ducking under barriers. I got to him but it wasn't easy. Security were so shocked they let us go (wish they would have apprehended the bugger so I didn't have to run). This is why I take no chances in having normal luggage. He will have his own mini backpack to slow him down.

Perhaps you need one of those kid cords (back pack for child with a leash). My mother had the leash things on my brother and I when we were small (45 years ago), it stopped us escaping:p

Edited by MicCanberra