Cuban Cigar Purchase

Where can I purchase one authentic Cuban cigar to bring back to the US and how do I bring it back without any issues?

I'll be in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau, Jamaica, Cozumel?

Thank you!

La Casa Del Habano in Cozumel is a legit vendor of real cuban cigars.

You still cant legally bring them back to the US though.

Is this a B2B cruise? Interesting that you are getting Eastern and Western ports.

Edited by ryano

La Casa Del Habano in Cozumel is a legit vendor of real cuban cigars.

You still cant legally bring them back to the US though.

Is this a B2B cruise? Interesting that you are getting Eastern and Western ports.

Thanks. Yes this is a back 2 back. Why is that interesting?

Thanks. Yes this is a back 2 back. Why is that interesting?

I was trying to rack my brain figuring out how you were getting both Eastern and Western ports in one cruise. Now that I know its a B2B, that answers my question. I should have known that I guess.

But back to the topic at hand, I wouldnt risk trying to bring back a cuban cigar but thats just me.

Enjoy your cruise :)

I have been told that if you get caught with them, they will just take them away. Just don't buy but a few. Don't load your suitcase with them.

Now, I have been asked where I bought cigars and always just told them the island where. They didn't ask what kind they where.:)

There are two shops in Marigot on St Maarten that sell authentic Cuban cigars as well. I have purchased from both of them several times. I also have not had a problem bringing them back into the US but they are subject to confiscation if found. Ziplocks seem to help.

I have been told that if you get caught with them, they will just take them away. Just don't buy but a few. Don't load your suitcase with them.

Now, I have been asked where I bought cigars and always just told them the island where. They didn't ask what kind they where.:)

Thanks!

Where can I purchase one authentic Cuban cigar to bring back to the US and how do I bring it back without any issues?

Thank you!

Casa De Habano is a dealer in authentic Cuban cigars. There are other legitimate retailers out there but you need to be careful - they are easily faked.

You cannot purchase Cubans in St. Thomas. The island is part of the USVI and subject to the 1963 trade embargo.

A good legit retailer that I like on your itinerary is Cigar Emporium on Front Street in St. Maarten. The Cuban sticks are located on the 2nd floor. I've heard rumors that they will even repackage and reband them for you but I cannot confirm this :D

Thank you!

IDK where to get them in any of the islands that you're visiting, but according to the December 16, 2014 policy change announcement between both countries, the US will allow passengers to bring tobacco up the value of US$100 to the USA... Mind you, idk if this apply when you bring the cigar from Cuba directly or no matter where you bought the product (outside Cuba). Check with US Customs and confirm.

"Cigar-loving travelers won't have to hide their Cubans in their luggage anymore.

Tobacco products from Cuba are among the goods allowed under new trade normalization rules that President Obama announced Wednesday.

The eased restrictions mean that approved travelers will be able to bring home $100 of cigars. (Not a cigar smoker? You can bring back Cuban rum instead.)

The president's official act may take some of the fun out of Cuban cigars. For decades, U.S. travelers have made like amateur smugglers, stashing boxes and bundles of Cohibas and Uppmans purchased overseas, in the United Kingdom or Mexico, for instance, in their luggage, hoping Customs wouldn't find them.

Americans have not been legally able to buy or consume Cuban cigars under laws that have been in place since the Kennedy administration. Ironically, two decades into the embargo, then-President Fidel Castro, for health reasons, quit smoking cigars." (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/12/17/cuban-cigars-legal-obama-trade-normalization/20535041/)

IDK where to get them in any of the islands that you're visiting, but according to the December 16, 2014 policy change announcement between both countries, the US will allow passengers to bring tobacco up the value of US$100 to the USA... Mind you, idk if this apply when you bring the cigar from Cuba directly or no matter where you bought the product (outside Cuba). Check with US Customs and confirm.

"Cigar-loving travelers won't have to hide their Cubans in their luggage anymore.

Tobacco products from Cuba are among the goods allowed under new trade normalization rules that President Obama announced Wednesday.

The eased restrictions mean that approved travelers will be able to bring home $100 of cigars. (Not a cigar smoker? You can bring back Cuban rum instead.)

The president's official act may take some of the fun out of Cuban cigars. For decades, U.S. travelers have made like amateur smugglers, stashing boxes and bundles of Cohibas and Uppmans purchased overseas, in the United Kingdom or Mexico, for instance, in their luggage, hoping Customs wouldn't find them.

Americans have not been legally able to buy or consume Cuban cigars under laws that have been in place since the Kennedy administration. Ironically, two decades into the embargo, then-President Fidel Castro, for health reasons, quit smoking cigars." (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/12/17/cuban-cigars-legal-obama-trade-normalization/20535041/)

This applies ONLY to travellers that are entering the United States directly from Cuba and not from other countries.

Keep in mind Obama doesn't have the authority to change the trade embargo . Only your Senate and House of Representatives have that authority thru the US Constitution.

I read somewhere that some top cigar makers moved to the Dominican Republic after the Castro takeover and set up shop there.

I did some research before my cruise last week and read an article about just that. Evidently during the revolution, some who left took Cuban tobacco seeds with them. They say the Dominican Republic cigars are just as good if not better than the Cuban.

I think the fact that we can't get the Cuban here makes them more attractive. We still can't bring them into the country. I think a lot of people are confused and the USA article just muddies the waters further.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only way you can be sure you are purchasing authentic Cuban cigars is to purchase them from a legitimate La Casa Del Habano store. You should be able to find one in most of the foreign ports. It is still illegal to bring Cuban cigars back into the U.S. but you should not have any problems if you are only bringing back a few. You can just remove the bands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app